2006 Hai Lang Hao "Jin Hai Lang" Ripe

Citrus, Coffee, Dried Fruit, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 oz / 117 ml

2 Images

• “Thank you Boychik for this sample. This is excellent shou puerh. I did not notice the coffee notes that other reviewers have mentioned, I managed to miss that one. I do see the citrus mentioned...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 547 tasting notes
  • “Drank my sample of this tea from a friend all day today at work. The first couple of steeps had an off putting sour note, but after that it was all nutty sweet wonderful shou flavor and very...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 1052 tasting notes
  • “High grade raw material found in this cake. Nice maturation. Smooth and mellow cup. Clear dark tea soup. No traits at all of the fermentation smells or tastes – benefits of the “light...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 220 tasting notes
  • “Nice shou. Clear burgundy soup, clean sweet taste. Some coffee notes. I wonder if it will be good as breakfast tea. Long lingering sweet and sour taste. Maybe like citrus. Smells like when...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 426 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

2006 Hai Lang Hao Jin Hai Lang Ripe 357g
A high quality slightly aged ripe pu-erh tea cake from Hai Lang Hao! 2005 fermented material from Menghai in Xishuangbanna was blended to create Hai Lang’s special “gold” recipe and pressed into these lovely cakes. 5 years of aging has made this light fermentation ripe tea cake something special.

“Jin Hai Lang” means “Gold Hai Lang” and is one of two cakes pressed from the same fermentation batch. “Gold Hai Lang” has more large fermented buds than it’s partner “Jin Se Zhen Min”. Both of these cakes are great examples of what can be achieved using high grade raw material, small batch fermentation and time!

Tea Weight: 357 grams

Vintage: 2005 material, January 2006 pressing.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Thank you Boychik for this sample. This is excellent shou puerh. I did not notice the coffee notes that other reviewers have mentioned, I managed to miss that one. I do see the citrus mentioned although I didn’t think of it until afterwards. It is a nice sweet tasting shou with very little fermentation flavor. If Yunnan Sourcing does not sell out before my next order I should like to procure one. I gave this tea twelve steeps because today is one of those rare days when I am not really watching my caffeine intake as I don’t have to set my alarm tomorrow. I think I could give it up to three more steeps before it gets to weak, maybe four.

I steeped this twelve times in a 120ml gaiwan with 7.5g leaf and boiling water. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min. Even at twelve steeps this tea is not played out.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
boychik

glad you like it. get it before another price increase :)

Drank my sample of this tea from a friend all day today at work.

The first couple of steeps had an off putting sour note, but after that it was all nutty sweet wonderful shou flavor and very enjoyable!

High grade raw material found in this cake. Nice maturation. Smooth and mellow cup. Clear dark tea soup. No traits at all of the fermentation smells or tastes – benefits of the “light fermentation” process. A safe one to offer those fairly new to the world of puerh. A decent shu with an appealing profile to make it safe and enjoyable for all drinkers.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Nice shou. Clear burgundy soup, clean sweet taste. Some coffee notes. I wonder if it will be good as breakfast tea. Long lingering sweet and sour taste. Maybe like citrus. Smells like when you soak dried fruits with boil water.
Gongfu
6g 100ml 212F
rinse/ pause/15/15/20/30/45secs etc
The more I drink it, the more i appreciated quality of this tea.

Flavors: Citrus, Coffee, Dried Fruit, Earth

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This is a real keeper. Very smooth, just a touch of astringency, medium fermentation. Not earthy, more dark coffee. Delicious!

Okay, if I am a Sheng Yiwu snob, this tea makes me a Shou Menghai snob. Another excellent Shou from Yunnan Sourcing!!!!!! This tea is a joy to drink. The soup is a very deep mahogany. The taste is mind blowing. There are so many layers of depth to this tea that I have no idea how to describe them. The consistency is incredible. I am on steeping seven and it tastes like it did on steeping one. “Jin Hai Lang” means “Gold Hai Lang” and in my opinion, this tea is truly golden!!!!!!

Stephanie

I’ve yet to experience any super complex shu puerhs although I do enjoy the good ones I’ve tried. I like the idea of layers of depth :)

SWApilot

Stephanie,
That is just what I call it. I know there are many undertones, my taste buds just can’t tell my brain how to describe them.

Craig

Stephanie

Puerhs are so hard to write about! It is hard to find proper words, for sure.