2006 Hai Lang Hao "Jin Hai Lang" Ripe

Pu-erh Tea
Dried Fruit, Drying, Earth, Green Apple, Mineral, petrichor, Pleasantly Sour, Sage, Sour, Sweet, Thyme, Citrus, Coffee
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 oz / 122 ml

2 Images

From Yunnan Sourcing

2006 Hai Lang Hao Jin Hai Lang Ripe 357g
A high quality slightly aged ripe pu-erh tea cake from Hai Lang Hao! 2005 fermented material from Menghai in Xishuangbanna was blended to create Hai Lang’s special “gold” recipe and pressed into these lovely cakes. 5 years of aging has made this light fermentation ripe tea cake something special.

“Jin Hai Lang” means “Gold Hai Lang” and is one of two cakes pressed from the same fermentation batch. “Gold Hai Lang” has more large fermented buds than it’s partner “Jin Se Zhen Min”. Both of these cakes are great examples of what can be achieved using high grade raw material, small batch fermentation and time!

Tea Weight: 357 grams

Vintage: 2005 material, January 2006 pressing.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

A nice aged ripe!

The dry cake gives a slight clove and dry earth scent, but I didn’t get much else from it. I placed a generous amount in my warmed gaiwan and gave it a shake. I picked up some interesting tones from the warmed leaf such as: sage, parchment, drought earth, and a desert scent (born and raised in Arizona). I really liked the tones I was picking up, so I knew that it would be interesting. I washed the leaves once and prepared for brewing. The herb tones came out from the steeped leaves swiftly. I was picking up Thyme, Tarragon, and old Basil. Afterwards, I was getting more earth tones like mud and copper. The background presented some sweetness like dried cherries. The drink was intense! This was a very unusual experience, and I loved it. The sip was super dry, and I mean like Sagrantino wine bone dry. Then, I got past the mouth drying and I picked up heavy minerals with copper, iron, and nickel. I took a few more sips and then I revisited the same desert but with rain pouring down. A uniquely heavily sour tone followed the entire session. I actually checked my water and vessel just to be sure it was the tea. This brew is sour, and I mean like sour patch kid sour! I was actually puckering during each sip. This tea gives a ton of mouth action and tongue prickling. The best part is once you get past these tongue wrestling obstacles you reach a delicious sweet aftertaste, as if you’ve reached the inside of the sour patch kid. The sour tones mellowed to a more green apple sour in later steeping. Also, the sweet tone becomes intense like Stevia. This was an awesome session. I love teas that create an experience. I love the ones that become imprinted on your tongue and mind. This puerh was certainty one of them. Although, I did not experience any qi, which is alright; because, I seldom do with Shou.

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Drying, Earth, Green Apple, Mineral, petrichor, Pleasantly Sour, Sage, Sour, Sweet, Thyme

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

One of my favorites. very interesting for sure.

Glad you liked it ;)

Adding this one to my wishlist!

A good one. The as you like ripe from them is also good.

I’ve good things about that one as well. I may be needing to pick some up.

Thank you Boychik for this sample. This is excellent shou puerh. I did not notice the coffee notes that other reviewers have mentioned, I managed to miss that one. I do see the citrus mentioned although I didn’t think of it until afterwards. It is a nice sweet tasting shou with very little fermentation flavor. If Yunnan Sourcing does not sell out before my next order I should like to procure one. I gave this tea twelve steeps because today is one of those rare days when I am not really watching my caffeine intake as I don’t have to set my alarm tomorrow. I think I could give it up to three more steeps before it gets to weak, maybe four.

I steeped this twelve times in a 120ml gaiwan with 7.5g leaf and boiling water. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min. Even at twelve steeps this tea is not played out.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

glad you like it. get it before another price increase :)

Drank my sample of this tea from a friend all day today at work.

The first couple of steeps had an off putting sour note, but after that it was all nutty sweet wonderful shou flavor and very enjoyable!

Enjoying the “Gold Hai Lang” as my breakfast tea. Light fermentation shu so it is mellow, smooth, and richly flavored. Nice choice for the first cup of the day!

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Just out of interest, when did you purchase this tea?

It looks like I ordered this in May 2014 from YS.

Ok. I just wondered if you had been aging this one.

Nice shou. Clear burgundy soup, clean sweet taste. Some coffee notes. I wonder if it will be good as breakfast tea. Long lingering sweet and sour taste. Maybe like citrus. Smells like when you soak dried fruits with boil water.
6g 100ml 212F
rinse/ pause/15/15/20/30/45secs etc
The more I drink it, the more i appreciated quality of this tea.

Flavors: Citrus, Coffee, Dried Fruit, Earth

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This is a real keeper. Very smooth, just a touch of astringency, medium fermentation. Not earthy, more dark coffee. Delicious!

Okay, if I am a Sheng Yiwu snob, this tea makes me a Shou Menghai snob. Another excellent Shou from Yunnan Sourcing!!!!!! This tea is a joy to drink. The soup is a very deep mahogany. The taste is mind blowing. There are so many layers of depth to this tea that I have no idea how to describe them. The consistency is incredible. I am on steeping seven and it tastes like it did on steeping one. “Jin Hai Lang” means “Gold Hai Lang” and in my opinion, this tea is truly golden!!!!!!

I’ve yet to experience any super complex shu puerhs although I do enjoy the good ones I’ve tried. I like the idea of layers of depth :)

That is just what I call it. I know there are many undertones, my taste buds just can’t tell my brain how to describe them.

Puerhs are so hard to write about! It is hard to find proper words, for sure.