2004 Hai Lang Hao "Nan Nuo Bai Hao" Raw Pu-erh tea cake

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by shakirah1984

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Yay, I'm the first to write a note on this one! :) After discovering a Dragonwell at the back of the cupboard and drinking that, I suddenly had a craving for raw pu so I thought I would start...” Read full tasting note
    Roughage 237 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

An early production from Hai Lang Hao. The nei fei and wrapper bears the name of his shop (Ming Xiang Ya Yuan), which was used on his 2002 to 2006 productions. This tea cake was produced entirely from old plantation tea leaves picked during the first flush of spring 2004. The tea has been stored in Kunming since 2005 and has aged well in its Kunming dry-storage condition.

The taste is smooth with some spicy notes and high level of aroma. The tea liquor is clear and deep golden with hints of red developing in it. The aged flavor of Nan Nuo is floral and full in the mouth. The after-feeling of drinking this tea is pleasant stimulating long after the last cup!

Net Weight: 357 grams per cake (7 cakes per stack in a bamboo tong wrapper)

Produced by Ming Xiang Ya Yuan tea house (Hai Lang)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

1 Tasting Note

Yay, I’m the first to write a note on this one! :)

After discovering a Dragonwell at the back of the cupboard and drinking that, I suddenly had a craving for raw pu so I thought I would start one of the sample packs I have been buying recently. For some reason, I bought a sample pack of this one, even though I have a whole untouched beeng in the stash. I guess that was an oversight at the time, but it does not feel so now.

The dry leaf is grassy and sweet, and the initial steepings were the same. About the third steeping, the tea developed a spicy sparkle on top of the grassiness that lasted ages in the aftertaste, even developing further on the tip my tongue. There’s a slight smokiness to my breath that develops further on into the aftertaste and I can feel the tea waking me up gently. The mouthfeel is creamy and full, double cream, perhaps. It’s very pleasant drinking this and I think I have a ways to go yet. The leaf feels like it has legs to it after half a dozen steepings and I should get a fair few more out of it. Nice.

TeaExplorer

I commented on this in the “pu-erh of the day. Sheng or Shou” discussion, and am looking forward to comparing notes with you on this once I receive my sample.

Roughage

I look forward to reading your thoughts on this tea. Shame we can’t sit down to the same table and discuss it that way. I could do with a few tea-drinking friends in this area. :)

TeaExplorer

I agree it would be nice to have a few tea-drinking friends nearby. Tea, to most people in my area, means teabags from the grocery store. We had a tea shop in town years ago, long before I discovered good tea, but it went out of business after a while. My wife drinks only one type, Twinings Darjeeling, which she doctors heavily with sugar and lemons. She resists the thought of trying a good Assam or Oolong, and can’t believe I drink “compost” (what she calls Pu-Erh).

Thanks to the Internet we can find kindred spirits to discuss our interests, which is almost as good as sitting face to face.

Roughage

My area is much the same as yours. I’m sure there are tea enthusiasts here, but finding them is the problem. My wife enjoys good tea but does not have the same level of enthusiasm and really dislikes a lot of the more floral teas that I like. She also defaults to standard teabags most of the time, sharing the good stuff only when I make it. It’s not that she does not appreciate it, just that she does not have the patience to invest in making it properly and exploring the options.

I have considered meeting on skype to drink tea and talk about it, but my internet connection does not support it well and is too unstable for it to be feasible.

TeaExplorer

I never thought of having a Skype tea gathering … what an interesting idea! It’s too bad your Internet connection won’t support it very well.

Roughage

When they eventually upgrade our line and make the connection faster and more stable, I shall be up for skype tea tastings. I think it would be a great way to meet and discuss a tea, although ensuring everyone has the right tea could prove interesting as a logistical problem. I may have to invest in a three-tiered cake stand so that I can eat cake from it at the same time! :)

TeaExplorer

Low tea via Skype … I love it! Too bad we can’t get good clotted cream here in the States :{

We only got broadband Internet here a couple of years ago … the wait was frustrating. Now, however, we’re drowning in 1’s and 0’s =:-D

mrmopar

+1 on skype! That would be a great idea!