1996 CNNP "Green Mark Te Ji" Ripe Pu-erh tea cake

Pu-erh Tea
Cedar, Cherry, Earth, Herbaceous, Mineral, Molasses, Mushrooms, Smoke, Smooth, Sweet, Autumn Leaf Pile, Camphor, Musty, Cocoa, Fruity, Spicy, Cacao, Caramel, Dark Bittersweet, Thick, Vanilla, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by shakirah1984
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 31 oz / 907 ml

From Yunnan Sourcing

A special CNNP for Malaysia export ripe tea cake. Pressed entirely from 1st grade, Te Ji and broken Gong Ting grade Menghai area ripe tea. This tea cake features old green mark on old style pin-stripe offset paper. Nei Fei is not pressed into cake, as this inventory was to be sent to Malaysia where the wrapper was to be changed. Dry-stored in Kunming for 15 years this has developed an incredibly complex flavor and mouth-feel. The tea need only be washed once before drinking. The aroma is of cacao and fruit with some spiciness. The tea enters the mouth and fills it with pungent aroma and thickness. The taste also belies cacao and something spicy. The astute drinker will notice a mouth-watering effect accompanied by a protracted feeling and flavor in the mouth long after drinking. This pungent cha qi and flavor reminds me of raw pu-erh. Some people may experience a subtle drunken state after drinking this tea. Pleasant and clean aged tea, very rare and unique.

Sample available! Please try before buying a whole cake!

Net weight: 357 grams per cake

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I am not one for shou puerh. I usually drink it in phases, so my palate is by no means accustomed to these teas. However, this was a very nice tea. The leaves are heavily compressed and crumbly. They carry a heavy earth scent with some cedar, mushrooms, and a very light fruitiness. I warmed my gaiwan up and placed the rock inside. I shook the pebble about and opened the lid to be created with some smoke and earthy spices. The classic damp wood tone was present, but it was in the background behind bell peppers. The brew is thick and dark with smooth clean notes. I like shu; because, it’s so warming. The drink is filled with sweet earthy mineral tones. A nice clean aftertaste coats the tongue. The drink is nice and relaxing. Later steeping brought on a sharp cherry tone and some root flavors. Oddly, I picked up on some herbaceous notes on the next steeping. The sweetness in the mouth is incredibly long lasting with molasses sweetness. The qi is heavy and warming with a nice massaging relaxation. I really liked this tea, and I thought it to be very good!

Flavors: Cedar, Cherry, Earth, Herbaceous, Mineral, Molasses, Mushrooms, Smoke, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

1996 Cnnp “green mark te ji” ripe puerh cake review

Ru Yao dragon teapot gongfucha

Dry leaves: slightly musty

2x 15s rinses

Wet leaves: slight earth/fermentation smell, Old books and autumn leaves. Light musty smell

Light steep: I taste smell; light -> earth/fermentation, old books.
Slight -> autumn leaves.

Medium steep: I taste/smell;
medium -> earth/fermentation, old books, autumn leaves. Light -> camphor.

Heavy steep: I taste/smell; medium to strong -> earth/fermentation, old books, autumn leaves. Medium -> camphor.

All in all this is an extremely tasty tea! The aroma, the flavour, the qi! I rate this a 100!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Camphor, Earth, Musty

200 °F / 93 °C 10 g 165 OZ / 4879 ML

That’s a dark tea!

Kirkoneill1988

yeah, but it was “oh so good”

S.G. Sanders

I enjoy aged teas—the old wood/deep earth flavors are what I like the most about them!

Kirkoneill1988

I’ve only had sheng from 2009 iirc. I have a 2003 cake on the way.

I prefer young sheng’s honey, spices, smokey flavours

S.G. Sanders

I love ALL sheng, but I too, like the younger kind. I like that “newness” to it—the smokey, spicy, honey, and slightly astringent notes that linger throughout the sessions. But there are days when I’m craving that woodsy/deep earth note(s). As my friend once described it—“This is what I imagine river water, with the river floor [mud, rocks, etc] would taste like.” Older/aged Sheng has that “rainy day in the woods” vibe to it; so, it’s more of the adventurer part of me, wanting to reminiscence about past hiking experiences. However, a young Sheng reminds me of Spring, where everything is new and delightful. So, now you know, when/why I like to have my tea—and at what age I like having, when I like having it!

Kirkoneill1988

wow! great way of describing it

Drinking this this morning because I couldn’t sleep. This is a nice aged ripe with just a vestige of fermentation flavor left. Barely noticeable in the first two steeps. There was also an aged flavor for the first four to six steeps, after that it was a nice sweet tea. This one one worth trying. I definitely recommend a sample.

Steeped this fourteen times in a 160ml Solid Silver teapot with 14.1g leaf and boiling water. I gave the tea a 10 minute rest. I gave it a 10 second rinse.I steeped the tea for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, 2 min, 2.5 min, and 3 min. I could have gotten a couple more steeps out of the leaves but I had had enough tea at fourteen steeps.

Boiling 14 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

UPDATED NOTE
Dry – Light bittersweet, faint persimmon (dried), dates, raisins, some mellow wood notes.
Wet – Apparent complexity with Molasses notes, vanilla, dates, raisins, coffee-cocoa bean, earthy/woody bittersweet.
Liquor – Burgundy – Brown.

Gong Fu on 130ml Gaiwan, 10gm of the good sample a good chunk of lightly pressed cake that came loose with the first of two flash rinses

1st Steep 3secs Thick, bitter, woody-earth notes, caramel, vanilla and then a slightly starchy note with hints of woody-pencil shavings scent, smooth in the middle while going down with hints of cocoa that is at the woody spectrum of cocoa.

2nd Steep 3secs Thick, bitter, woody and starchy, pencil shavings, a coffee-like/cocoa bitter note, followed by caramel and vanilla notes. A smooth middle with a refreshing sensation that develops. Smooth starchy and filling with a sweet finish.

3rd Steep 4secs Thick, bitter, woody and starchy, pencil shavings, coffee-cocoa notes (woody spectrum of cocoa bean), followed by caramel and vanilla notes, smooth body and lasting sweetness together with a slightly refreshing finish.

4th Steep 10secs Medium thickness, smoother, bittersweet, mellow woody-starchy note and a more forward vanilla and caramel note and faint cocoa note. The liquor is very smooth and pleasant, Cha Qi is present here and goes well with the camphor that is showing up a bit more.

5th Steep 25secs Medium to a weak thickness, bittersweet, mellow starchy and woody note with notes of vanilla/caramel and hints of cocoa. The camphor is more apparent now but the liquor feels thin in comparison, some minor astringency present, The liquor is also lost most of its initial color.

6th 40secs Thin liquor, some of the notes are still there, a lot more camphor and woody notes. There’s a good sweetness that lingers with hints of vanilla and even perhaps dried fruit.

7th 1m 20secs Watery… mostly sweet and refreshing.

Final Notes
This is a good tasting Shou with a nice thickness together with complex notes. However, it has a very… very short life. Longevity is the only downfall on this one, it is composed of only smaller leaf with gives it a very nice taste, but runs out of gas. I would recommend this one to people who are ok with 6 good steeps, 7-8th are usually watery.

Scott recommended brewing this on on a Yixing/Jian Shui for maintaining the high temperatures, which I also did, but at the most you get an ok 7th steep with a watery 8th. I would still recommend a try, the initial steeps are delicious.

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Dark Bittersweet, Thick, Vanilla, Wood

Boiling 10 g 4 OZ / 130 ML
sansnipple

that’s the thing with puerh samples, you have no idea how long ago each sample was removed from a cake and sealed, or if its storage is anything like that of the full cakes (usually not unless the sample is really fresh).

Yunnan Sourcing

Can you clarify? You got two samples? One was sheng and one shu? This 1996 cake is definitely shu/ripe. Anyways… let me know by email, and maybe send some pictures so we can figure it out.

JC

Hi Scott. Sorry for the delay I just saw this and sent you an email with pictures. Both samples were indeed Ripe Puerh, they were just worlds apart in quality and I said the sheng comment to convey that. One sample is only fanning and dust, the other other one had a small piece of cake and the rest was loose but it was different leaf grade levels(good shape) no dust.

The first sample I could only get two steeps and there were not leaves in the gaiwan only a muddy looking puddle because of the dust and fanning, and filters didn’t work for this one either. The other one it is what I was expecting, but I wasn’t taking full notes of that one, so I wanted to wait until I revisited it to take proper notes.