2011 Yunnan Sourcing "Hui Run" Ripe Pu-erh tea cake of Bu Lang Mountain

Pu-erh Tea
Caramel, Chocolate, Raisins, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by shakirah1984

• “Infused 3 grams of tea including the few crumbs in this sample, in a very small porcelain gaiwain. Flash rinsed x 1, then a 10 second infusion with about 40mL water at 195 degrees: a teasing...” Read full tasting note
    teaddict 311 tasting notes
  • “Got this from a tea pal a while back and figured I should get to it. I have drank more sheng here lately but time to get the shou on. I pulled 10 grams of this and put it in the Yixing to brew.I...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 226 tasting notes
  • “I’ve been sitting at my desk, sipping cup after cup of this shu. Rich & satisfying, it is of the "Boston Brown Bread" type, kind of cakey & dense, with a sweet aftertaste...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3100 tasting notes
  • “I picked this tea randomly this morning from amongst my morning teas. It is very good. It is slightly sweet without any hint of bitterness. There is a little fermentation flavor left but not much....” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 503 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

We are excited to offer this premium ripe pu-erh cake made entirely from Spring 2011 Bu Lang mountain material. First flush material was collected from several Bu Lang villages and fermented for 46 days. After fermentation was completed, the tea was dried and graded. We blended the various grades to create a balance recipe comprising of tippy golden buds and heavier grade 1,3, and 5 leaves. The term “Hui Run” refers to the sweet, slippery and soothing feeling that lingers in the mouth and throat even after the tea drinking session has ended.

357 grams per cake (7 cakes per bamboo leaf tong)

November 15th, 2011 compression date!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Infused 3 grams of tea including the few crumbs in this sample, in a very small porcelain gaiwain. Flash rinsed x 1, then a 10 second infusion with about 40mL water at 195 degrees: a teasing impression, a little sweet, a little earthy, promising a lot more with longer infusions. It is quite nice through 10 or so infusions—where I am now—earthy, sweet, plummy. Nice stuff.

Editing to add, that this tea has an unusually nice long sweetwater phase, fruity and not just faintly sweet. Very nice pu.

Please keep things friendly and .

I pulled 10 grams of this and put it in the Yixing to brew.I gave 2 5 seconds washes to get it going. It brews a nice dark color from the cup. The brew is very clean without a bunch stuff caught in the strainer. The aroma has that shou scent but not overpowering. It gives hints of caramel, raisins, some chocolate/cocoa and a bit of woodiness. The mouthfeel is very nice and very smooth. Bulang tea makes some really good shou and this fits that category perfectly. No wou dei and a perfect tea for last night and I am on it again this morning.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Raisins, Wood

tperez

Just got a cake of that, really good shu :)

tea123

It makes you wonder what is lost in those two five second rinses. Just something I noticed today when I did two rinses instead of no rinses.

JC

You try the rinses. I would always rinse though, specially with Ripes and aged Sheng.

Kirkoneill1988

i rinse once for all puehr 10-15 seconds

mrmopar

@tea123 it is just a practice that I use. Sometimes just one rinse other times two. I usually look in the pot and when I see color coming I quit rinsing at that point. With sheng lots of times I will actually give them a rinse and let them sit an hour to overnight sometimes to let the leaf open up before brewing.

sansnipple

me too, even with clean sheng pu, i always rinse once, just to open up the leaves, it’s not always that the rinse will be undrinkable or gross or anything, just really weak and watery.

AllanK

This is a very good tea. I have what is left of a tong, about four bings.

JC

Yeah! Leaving the leaves to rest after washes is great. It really changed how steeps behave and even shorten the initial ones. When I first started drinking puerh I would use the ‘chunks’ or compressed layers and though it works for some teas.. some just won’t budge that way.

Please keep things friendly and .

I’ve been sitting at my desk, sipping cup after cup of this shu.
Rich & satisfying, it is of the “Boston Brown Bread” type, kind of cakey & dense, with a sweet aftertaste reminiscent of dark dried fruits.

MzPriss

I just got my cake of this and am looking forward to it

Please keep things friendly and .

I picked this tea randomly this morning from amongst my morning teas. It is very good. It is slightly sweet without any hint of bitterness. There is a little fermentation flavor left but not much. It has notes of dates or plums, not sure which. This would have more notes if I was brewing gongfu style.

I brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with boiling water and 10g leaf for 25 sec. It is hard to brew this tea wrong.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 10 g 18 OZ / 532 ML

I love this one;)

AllanK

I bought a tong of it about a year and a half ago. I have about four or five cakes left. I keep one broken up in a big ceramic tea caddy and steep it as a breakfast tea. I also picked up a tong of the 2013 Hui Run.

Bad Steepster, just ate my note :(((
Ok, this tea is a free sample with the purchase – thank you Scott
5g 100 ml 212F
Rinse/pause/10/10/15/15/15/20/20sec etc
This tea is very rich. Dark burgundy color and very thick, almost viscous.
Woody and sweet but not overly. Some plum and cherries detected. Very strong sweet aftertaste
I had a very nice gongfu session and will continue tomorrow .

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Cheri

It’s so frustrating when notes get eaten!

Stephanie

I hate when that happens. Tea sounds good though!

boychik

I’m beginning to think that Steepster is annoyed with me haha
It happened again. And I’ve noticed some of my older notes disappeared :(

JC

That sucks! It happened to me several times so I started writing them in wordpad and just copy/pasting into steepstes… you know just in case :P

JC, it’s a great idea except I’m on vacation and I only have iPhone :(
When I come back I will write in word pad. I have to survive somehow another month. Thanks for recommending ;)

Please keep things friendly and .

A while back I e-mailed my long lost brother Scott at Yunnan Sourcing asking him for some recommendations. This Shou is one that he suggested. The color of the soup is a deep mahogany that borderlines on red wine. The best way to describe the taste is a sweet and earthy combination. I really liked the “Hui Run” which the website refers to as “the sweet, slippery and soothing feeling that lingers in the mouth and throat even after the tea drinking session has ended.” I tend to like my Shou pu’er a little more earthy, but I will definitely enjoy drinking this excellent Shou. This would be a great tea for someone who is new pu’er teas and might be afraid of being overwhelmed be a really earthy tasting Shou. Also, at $27 for 357g, I almost feel like I stole it!!!!