2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Qiu Yun" Wild Arbor Pu'erh of Yi Wu

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “I love the aroma of this wet leaf! It has a tangy fruity apricot or plum smell, & it also smells kind of like beer, well, more like Hops really. The tea is a lovely brew, very smooth & sweet, a...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “sipdown on this one! I've been drinking it most of the morning. this is a smooth tasting puerh that is slightly hoppy but mostly just really tasty haha. It reminds me a little of the puerh from...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4729 tasting notes
  • “DANG THIS PU'ER IS THA BOMB! Over 13 infusions I got No smokeyness, no dryness. Great flavor notes of earthy enoki mushroom, rock sugar, creamy, apricot, green bean, buttery corn, mineral, and...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1018 tasting notes
  • “Great taste and nice lingering qualities. I've always been enamored with YiWu raw puerhs. There is such an unmistakable fragrance and taste that come from this region. I know that could be said...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 133 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Qiu Yun (秋韵) means “Song of Autumn”

Late autumn harvest tea from wild arbor tea trees (between 60 and 80 year old) growing in the area of Yi Bi village of Yi Wu county.

Entirely no spray tea from one family’s tea garden. Hand-processed from start to finish, but without any smokiness!

Classic Yi Wu taste, thick and full in the mouth. Sweet after-taste with some grass and mushroom notes.

250 grams per cake (7 cakes per bamboo tong)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I love the aroma of this wet leaf! It has a tangy fruity apricot or plum smell, & it also smells kind of like beer, well, more like Hops really. The tea is a lovely brew, very smooth & sweet, a little hoppy, a touch of tang to it, & a shiny kind of feeling in the mouth, like polished stone or maybe metal. That was around steep 5 or 6.

I’m maybe at steeping number 11 or so now. I’m working on creating promo materials for my upcoming annual birthday gig, & kind of lost track of the count, but I just keep going back for more. Now it’s a light buttery creamy mushroom broth, more or less. This really is a nice Sheng, & although in some ways it seems absurd for me to keep buying cakes of puerh, as I already probably have enough tea to last the rest of my life, I still would like to add this one to my collection at some point.

I’m really grateful for Yunnan Sourcing’s sample sizes, as they give you enough to try a tea out several times.

cryptickoi

sounds good…i’ll put that on my YS list…yeah,25g samples are great…

boychik

Terri, do you order from US site or Chinese? i would love to try so many things, but shipping is outrageous.

BigDaddy

I order from their Chinese site, but in bulk, if you want to order I can add your list to mine next time. I’m also looking to go in on a combined purchase of raw pu erh with other tea lovers. The website has a lot of good stuff.

Terri HarpLady

I originally ordered from the US site, but have subsequently ordered a couple of times from the China site, mainly because they listed some black teas I wanted to try out that weren’t listed on the US site.

boychik

Bigdaddy, it’s a great idea. Following you

cryptickoi

I haven’t ordered from the U.S. site just due to the fact that they don’t have near the selection…shipping really isn’t that bad,especially if you’re making large orders…

boychik

Well, I guess I’m spoiled with free shipping when I order from ebay or Dragon tea house. At least if it could be fixed amount. I placed 4 teas like 50 g each, couple samples and glass teapot and shipping is like $18. Do you happen to know when raising of shipping costs stops? How big the order should be? Sorry for all the ??

cryptickoi

i’ not sure…my cart is up to $400 and shipping is $27 and its going to be a heavy box…

Terri HarpLady

The main downside of ordering from their China office is that if you’re like me, and you go with the cheap shipping, it takes 4 – 6 weeks to get your order. However, by then I almost forget I ordered, so then it’s like a surprise present :)

BigDaddy

That’s exactly what I do. It’s like a new tea adventure. I actually wondered once, did I really order that. Yet all is good.

sipdown on this one! I’ve been drinking it most of the morning. this is a smooth tasting puerh that is slightly hoppy but mostly just really tasty haha. It reminds me a little of the puerh from manadal i really love – not so much in how it tastes but in how it feels. yeah…feels lol this doesn’t leave my mouth dry and for those who are just starting to enjoy puerhs, this isn’t earthy or muchroomy (at least to me…) and it’s lighter tasting that some of my favourites.

DANG THIS PU’ER IS THA BOMB!

Over 13 infusions I got No smokeyness, no dryness. Great flavor notes of earthy enoki mushroom, rock sugar, creamy, apricot, green bean, buttery corn, mineral, and copper. It had a few moments that I thought I was drinking a white tea and another time a green, however with the complexity of a pu’er.

For $15 for a 250 gram cake, this pu’er is a steal, especially with the amount of resteeps I got.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/2013/08/20/2012-qui-yun-wild-arbor-raw-puer-from-yunnan-sourcing-tea-review/

190 °F / 87 °C
mrmopar

I may have to add one of these to the “stash”!

Terri HarpLady

I’m thinking the same thing :)
I still haven’t ordered anything from Yunnan Sourcing. I’m afraid that if I do, it’s really gonna cost me.

Awkward Soul

Terri: I already tucked away a sample of this cake for the teabox for you to try!

mrmopar

Terri try the us site for Yunnan Sourcing. I am not sure if they carry it on the US site but the shipping is much less.

Terri HarpLady

I will…when I’m allowed to order again! LOL!

Great taste and nice lingering qualities. I’ve always been enamored with YiWu raw puerhs. There is such an unmistakable fragrance and taste that come from this region. I know that could be said for most all teas, but this one is very easy for me to pick out.

The leaves are whole and complete, not broken up. The cake has a medium tightness, which allows for easy prying off of the desired amount for brewing. I got a deeper and brighter cup by stretching my normal 5sec brewing, to 12sec in my gaiwan. Very nice tea and the cost for a whole cake is very wallet friendly. It could easily sell for 50% or more for the quality you receive.

A lovely easy to drink young sheng. Very little bitterness. Flowery and sweet. I’m not sure if it will age well, but it is a great drink now for sure.

This is a very nice sheng. At $17/ for a 250g cake, it is fairly priced for wild arbor YiWu leaf. Quite young for a sheng but amazingly smooth and sweet.

The cake has light compression making it very easy to pick off the dark dry leaf. A fairly high number of stem pieces found. The tea soup is a very light gold color and appears very clear in the cup. Sweet fruit aroma from the wet leaf. The taste is smooth with only the slightest bite of astringency. There is definitely the sweetness of raisins and stone fruit. Smooth mouth feel and a nice Qi. In later steeps there are the beginning notes of tobacco.

Frankly, if I had tasted this one blind, I would assume that it was at least five years old (not two). I’ll drink this cake now and I picked up another one for aging because I am really curious to try it in 5-7 years. I’m a big fan!!

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 125 ML