2002 Yiwu Ancient Spirit Raw Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Sweet, Wood, Smoke, Camphor
Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “wow, I just did a session with this tea using yixing pot and a lower leaf to water ratio. Its great tea! amazing that what once appeard to be a dull, lifeless snokey tea now has zero smokey aroma,...” Read full tasting note
    AsafMazar 66 tasting notes
  • “This is smooth, minty and leathery, not particularly thick or complex. Sweetness increases after a few steeps. It actually feels like a mild ripe to me. I didn’t feel the tea bloom in my...” Read full tasting note
    triumph 177 tasting notes
  • “This tea was well regarded, but I hesitated to get overly enthused as it is one of YS’s very few wetter stored cakes. However, having been in Kunming for 5 years or so now, it hit that sweet...” Read full tasting note
    Wocket 45 tasting notes
  • “this tea was recommended me by James fr Teadb. its not a first try, ive had it before. yesterday it was quite powerful, i dont remember experiencing such strong qi from this tea. it was very nice,...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 472 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Made entirely from spring 2002 material, this Banna wetter stored tea cake sports a smooth aged taste with a floral / camphor aroma. The tea was stone pressed by traditional method and stored in hot and humid Jing Hong until 2011 when it was brought to Kunming. Nice wetter stored tea with aged feel and taste!

380 grams per cake

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

amazing that what once appeard to be a dull, lifeless snokey tea now has zero smokey aroma, a clam, steady quality, and smooth, aged character.

Its not particualry complex , but the flavor and aroma are woody with slight camphor fruity notes.

Flavors: Camphor, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 100 OZ / 2957 ML
JC

Sounds relaxing.

This is smooth, minty and leathery, not particularly thick or complex. Sweetness increases after a few steeps. It actually feels like a mild ripe to me. I didn’t feel the tea bloom in my mouth or throat as I expected and I wasn’t particularly floored by the qi, as some people were.

I think my bias toward the dynamism of younger shengs colors my impression of this mellow tea. I like it but I don’t think it would be something I would drink regularly.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 130 OZ / 3844 ML

This tea was well regarded, but I hesitated to get overly enthused as it is one of YS’s very few wetter stored cakes. However, having been in Kunming for 5 years or so now, it hit that sweet spot for me where’s it’s clearly seen some humidity but it not so funkadelic as to offend my oh-so-delicate white man sensibilities.

Mouth coating and length of flavor are both solid, while not being world-beating. As far as the actual flavor components, it’s one of those where you’ll just have to take my word that I liked it, as no actual descriptors that come to mind will likely sound pleasant. I suspect if you went out on a sun-dappled, dewy spring morning and threw a slightly damp stick for your faithful canine companion, the taste in his mouth as he clamped down to return the projectile for another round would be similar, if more fleeting.

I’ll not lie, though, if you threw a beeng of this like a frisbee, I’d lope after it on all fours and leap my best to capture it. Just sayin’.

tanluwils

Fun review! I’m not a fan of wet storage stank either, but this one is clean. It’s definitely got that damp-pealing-bark-off-a-broken-branch kind of flavor. I also picked up some holiday spice and menthol-like cooling in the aftertaste.

this tea was recommended me by James fr Teadb. its not a first try, ive had it before. yesterday it was quite powerful, i dont remember experiencing such strong qi from this tea. it was very nice, sweet, menthol cool, with quick powerful huigan. But… i think it had so much effect on me that i acted like 3yrs old and hurt my friend’s feelings. Im sorry. it must be a weather too. i have to blame it on something. it wasnt me, its them

6 g 2 OZ / 70 ML
Rui A.

That sounds quite good and I should actually get a full cake from YS.

paxl13

qi is on and off but when it hits you… it’s like being run over by a truck!!!

Finished a sample of this today. I don’t have a lot to add to what I said before: this is some good tea with real endurance and significantly matured taste, with no defective or even humid storage characteristics. It’s probably too long-winded to drink every day but I’d like to be drinking something like this more often. I just keep hoping I can find something at less than $90/bing.

I purchased this bing about two years ago at what I thought was a reasonable price at the time. The bing has beautiful leaves with a colour tone that is consistent with the year of production claimed. The wet leaves produce a wonderful woody aroma with subtle hints of ripe fruits in the background – definitely a pleasant nose on this one. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the liquor itself. There is a pleasant sweetness that brings wet wood to mind. However, this sweetness fades away quite rapidly. There is a nice slight cooling effect with this tea, however, I’d have to say that, in general, its quite dull. In my opinion, despite its age, its a decent tea, one that I would not pay its current asking price for.

Parameters : 7 g to ~ 100 ml