2002 Yiwu Ancient Spirit Raw Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Sweet, Wood, Smoke, Camphor
Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “wow, I just did a session with this tea using yixing pot and a lower leaf to water ratio. Its great tea! amazing that what once appeard to be a dull, lifeless snokey tea now has zero smokey aroma,...” Read full tasting note
    AsafMazar 66 tasting notes
  • “Dry leaf smells of aged tea, no dampness, age-darkened but not so much that the tips are not still golden-brown. Well-compressed but not so tightly that I couldn’t pick thin layers off of the...” Read full tasting note
    aardvarkcheeselog 25 tasting notes
  • “I purchased this bing about two years ago at what I thought was a reasonable price at the time. The bing has beautiful leaves with a colour tone that is consistent with the year of production...” Read full tasting note
    sammerz314 43 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Made entirely from spring 2002 material, this Banna wetter stored tea cake sports a smooth aged taste with a floral / camphor aroma. The tea was stone pressed by traditional method and stored in hot and humid Jing Hong until 2011 when it was brought to Kunming. Nice wetter stored tea with aged feel and taste!

380 grams per cake

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

amazing that what once appeard to be a dull, lifeless snokey tea now has zero smokey aroma, a clam, steady quality, and smooth, aged character.

Its not particualry complex , but the flavor and aroma are woody with slight camphor fruity notes.

Flavors: Camphor, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 100 OZ / 2957 ML
JC

Sounds relaxing.

Dry leaf smells of aged tea, no dampness, age-darkened but not so much that the tips are not still golden-brown. Well-compressed but not so tightly that I couldn’t pick thin layers off of the main chunk of the sample.

10s rinse is surprisingly dark but then I’d teased the leaf apart to almost being like loose leaf. Vegetal, faintly smoky lid scent.

Since I had no big chunks in the gaiwan I kept the 1st steep at close to 5s, then followed with 9 more with 5s increments, then a half-dozen with 10s increments, then a few with 20s, so, like 5/10/15…45/50/60/70…110/120/140… for a total of 20-some steeps. Though I would not accuse anyone who stopped at 15 of wasting tea: the last half-dozen or so were pretty weak.

Soup starts out deep orange and surprisingly sweet for a few steeps, then develops some medicinal tang, bitterness and astringency with deep copper soup around steep 5. Nice full mouthfeel up through about the 10th, by which time the bitterness and astringency are fading also. Strong enough to produce a tea sweat around the 8th or so. Declines into generic sweet water with a medicinal smell by the 16th or so.

This tea has a nice flavor profile and mouthfeel, good endurance with well > 10 real steeps, no humid taste. I think I like it better than the 2004 Tai Lian I drank yesterday.

Flavors: Sweet, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I purchased this bing about two years ago at what I thought was a reasonable price at the time. The bing has beautiful leaves with a colour tone that is consistent with the year of production claimed. The wet leaves produce a wonderful woody aroma with subtle hints of ripe fruits in the background – definitely a pleasant nose on this one. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the liquor itself. There is a pleasant sweetness that brings wet wood to mind. However, this sweetness fades away quite rapidly. There is a nice slight cooling effect with this tea, however, I’d have to say that, in general, its quite dull. In my opinion, despite its age, its a decent tea, one that I would not pay its current asking price for.

Parameters : 7 g to ~ 100 ml