Wild Tree Purple Varietal Black Tea of Dehong Spring 2012

Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “I'm having a great day! I just booked a wedding for May, sitting at my desk in my pajamas, eating breakfast. Contract sent, now more tea! I love my job! Here's another tea from the first round...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2497 tasting notes
  • “Trying to get through at least tasting the last round of teas from our BBBBox before the next round gets here. I brewed this western style because i can't manage two gonfu at once haha. This is a...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4043 tasting notes
  • “This tea is one of *Terri's* contributions to the *BBBB*. I had no expectations, good or bad for this as it's a totally new kind of tea. I brewed it up gongfu style as *Terri* mentioned in her...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 357 tasting notes
  • “Man this is good! Taking a break before getting back to the finals grind. This tea is warm and hearty like a Taiwanese black, but clean and refreshing like young sheng. There's also some pretty...” Read full tasting note
    tperez 97 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is a expertly fermented black tea was crafted using a wild tree purple leaf varietal from Dehong prefecture. This wild tree varietal grows wild in the mountainous areas west of Mang Shi town in Dehong. Ye Sheng "野生“ varietal aka “Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze var. assamica (J. Masters) Kitam.” is a primeval varietal that pre-dates Camellia Sinensis var. Assamica and is a naturally occuring non hybridized varietal. It’s potency in cha qi arises from it’s unadulterated nature. It is naturally bug repellent, grows wild in the forests of Yunnan at an altitude of 1600-2200 meters.

The aroma of tea is very strong and hints of eucalyptus and sugarcane. The mouth feel is incredibly complex and stimulating but never bitter or astringent. Ultra smooth tea that after a few months will develop even more complexity. Subtle but very noticeable cha qi and tranquil feelings.

An incredibly rare tea, only 120 kilograms in total production!

Spring 2012 material

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I’m having a great day! I just booked a wedding for May, sitting at my desk in my pajamas, eating breakfast. Contract sent, now more tea!
I love my job!
Here’s another tea from the first round of the BBBB.
5G + 4oz tiny teapot (rinse) X 15/30/45sec/1min/2min/3min
I warmed this one up in the hot but dry teapot. The aroma is very different from the Imperial Mojiang, but then it should be! Side by side, these 2 teas are like night & day!! The Mojiang is all golden & this is a deep purplish black! Night & day, indeed!

Opening the lid to my teapot, the aroma is more herbaceous, almost like a sheng, but with a hint of…cherry? Maybe sour cherry, but just a hint.
There’s something about this tea that reminds me of a Sheng. It’s a tartness, & a clean almost lemony mouth, & the Chaqi is outrageous! There is a sweet cherry, there is a little chocolate in the background, & there are savory aromatic herbs. I don’t know that eucalyptus is the herb I would pick, but maybe. Anyway, the flavors build up beautifully, complimenting one another. And now I’m wondering is YS has made any sheng from this leaf…that would also be an amazing tea, I think!

Yvonne

So happy to hear your day is wonderful – a wonderful tea is just a cherry on top :)

Trying to get through at least tasting the last round of teas from our BBBBox before the next round gets here. I brewed this western style because i can’t manage two gonfu at once haha. This is a really juicy tea..there’s a hint of a taste that i’m not familiar with coming through…sort of yunnan ish but not quite. Over all this is really tasty, though i for sure need to try this gong fu style next!

This tea is one of Terri’s contributions to the BBBB. I had no expectations, good or bad for this as it’s a totally new kind of tea. I brewed it up gongfu style as Terri mentioned in her note that she wanted to try it that way. This is a great gongfu tea. Each steeping is decidedly different than the previous. The first was very sweet with a hint of the basic Yunnan flavors. The second was savory, almost like herb chicken (I know, wacky). The third so far is very strong honey and Yunnan again. This is a fun tea! Kind of like tea roulette! Never know what the next flavor is going to be! I’m curious how this brews up western style. I’ll try that next time, but I think this is probably best as gongfu. Thanks Terri!

Man this is good! Taking a break before getting back to the finals grind.

This tea is warm and hearty like a Taiwanese black, but clean and refreshing like young sheng. There’s also some pretty interesting flavors here that I haven’t tasted elsewhere, and I really like it.

One of my favorite things about tea is the endless variety. I love trying new things, and I sort of hate to buy the same thing twice (even if I love it), and so far I haven’t bought a second batch of any tea, but I think this is one I’ll need to keep stocked in my cupboard.

But then again there IS the light roast version of this tea… :P

This is another tea that Sil sent me, and so far I’ve been liking the Yunnan Sourcing blacks. (I’m a little concerned about avoiding a Yunnan Sourcing order before I get my stash under control.)
This is a little strange to me, but strange in a good way. It’s really sweet and a bit earthy – not pu’erh earthy, but heading in that direction. It’s really smooth, no astringency (even with sporadic steep times at work). This is a good tea. I really like it, and would be more than happy to have more of it in my cupboard.

there will be more coming your way so sit tight.