Feng Qing "Classic 58 Dian Hong"

Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Earth, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes, Cocoa
Edit tea info Last updated by Dag Wedin

• “I used 7g in a 220ml yixing pot. Three infusions 1: 1min 90C 2: 2min 90C 3: 3min 90C Malty slightly sweet. A bit of dark chocolate? A very slight astringency on the aftertaste. A superb...” Read full tasting note
    Dagwed 234 tasting notes
  • “*terriharplady* my dearest tea sisiter, let me have a bit of this when i was at her house exploring her teas haha. I have to say that this is a really delicious tea from YS. It actually hit the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5400 tasting notes
  • “*Lewis & Clarke TTB* Hooray, more Yunnan Sourcing! I wish every company had been this generous with their sample sizes, because then I don't feel bad about trying every tea they included! :D The...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 834 tasting notes
  • “*L & C TTB* I had this tea today at work. I don't remember much except I liked it. I think it was a little malty, a little chocolately. It was good. Sorry. Today has not been a good day at...” Read full tasting note
    cheri0627 487 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

A premium Feng Qing black tea made entirely from first flush spring 2013 tea. Small leaf/bud sets were hand-picked and expertly processed into this classic style of Dian Hong first mastered by the Feng Qing tea factory in 1958.

The taste of “Classic 58 Dian Hong” is at malty, floral, sweet and slightly bitter all at once. Very textured taste, pungent aroma and long-lasting feeling in the mouth!

- Small batch processing

- Limited quantity from this single family producer!

- Tea bushes are betwen 50 and 70 years old!

- Original Feng Qing tea bush varietal from Qing Dynasty!

Mid-March 2013 Harvest!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I used 7g in a 220ml yixing pot.
Three infusions
1: 1min 90C
2: 2min 90C
3: 3min 90C

A superb black tea.

terriharplady my dearest tea sisiter, let me have a bit of this when i was at her house exploring her teas haha. I have to say that this is a really delicious tea from YS. It actually hit the spot a little better than LB this morning, but don’t tell LB that! I brewed this one western for ease and was left with a really delicious, slightly sweet but malty cup of tea. i didn’t get much astringency in the cup, which was nice. I’ll have to try the other teal of this variety that i picked up from terri as well and see how it compares.

Lewis & Clarke TTB

Hooray, more Yunnan Sourcing! I wish every company had been this generous with their sample sizes, because then I don’t feel bad about trying every tea they included! :D The leaves of this tea and thin and very straight, almost like pine needles or twigs. They appear to be mostly dark with some spots of gold. The dry leaves smell very sweet and malty with honey notes. I did my general “black tea” parameters of 200 degree water for 3 minutes.

Once brewed, it smells strong and malty with a little bit of an earthy note. I can also smell raisins and honey/molasses. Just as an aside, I don’t generally enjoy this style of Yunnan as much just because they tend to get into the earthy/mineral side of things. This one, however, barely touches those notes. It’s mostly lovely malty bread with a bit of sweet potato and dark fruit flavors. There’s a little hint of earth in the background, but it doesn’t bother me here. I am pleasantly surprised by this one! :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Earth, Honey, Malt, Molasses, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes

L & C TTB

I had this tea today at work. I don’t remember much except I liked it. I think it was a little malty, a little chocolately. It was good.

Sorry.

Today has not been a good day at work.

Lewis and Clarke TTB

This tea is pretty, brown and gold leaves twisted into strands.
4g 4oz 195F 1,2,3 minute steeps. Sweetened

The first cup is dark and malty, and a touch of dark cocoa. The second cup looses the cocoa, and is very malty. The third brings back some of the cocoa again. I don’t know if its because of the sweetener I added, but I (thankfully) didn’t get any bitterness from this.

Flavors: Cocoa, Malt

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 0 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Marzipan

Sounds good! We didn’t have this one.

ahhhh…nothing like a cup of deliciousness & the time to enjoy it.
I made one of my awesome breakfasts, & drank a couple of steeps of this one, with it’s rich malty & sweet taste, nice thick & kind of shiny mouth, hint of florals & tantalizing bitter edge. I’m sure it would be even better gongfu, but we do what we can.

The 2 yixings I ordered came this week. I started seasoning one of them for smokey zheng shan xiao zhong types, & my plans for the other one was for either yunnan or fujian, but I’m having a hard time making up my mind which.
Now I’m having 2nd thoughts about the smokey tea, & thinking I might reboil that one & start over…or maybe I’ll order another tiny teapot…LOL

Heading out to my youngest Grandchild’s birthday party (he’s 8 now), but I plan to spend the rest of the weekend in my PJs, sipping teas & getting caught up on all my favorite steepster friend’s reviews (there are so many of you!)

boychik

Happy Birthday to Grandson! Have fun!

MzPriss

Oh Terri – did the brocade one come??

i want to do that! stupid work. I miss steepster peeps and being able to relax so much :(

gmathis

Here’s to leisurely Saturdays with children. (My mom used to say, “Kids spell love T-I-M-E.” She was a pretty smart cookie.)

Ubacat

Always enjoy reading your reviews. You have so many interesting teas.

apt

just use it for both Yunnan and Fuijan. not a super huge diff in flavor.

Terri HarpLady

apt…I was also sort of thinking that :)
Priss – yes! it came yesterday, & it’s beautiful, AND they included 2 yixing cups as well!

MzPriss

Oh Squeal!!!!! I’m all jealous and stuff. Have you decided which tea it’s gonna be for? I feel like I have this unnatural interest in your teapot. I’m like yixing voyeur girl.

MzPriss

(oh crap I hope I spelled voyeur right, because I already for voilà wrong)

got. not for. sigh

Terri HarpLady

LOL, why are you jealous? Didn’t you just get a new yixing too recently? :)
Anyway, I haven’t christened it yet, but I’m thinking lovely golden Dian hong types

MzPriss

I got, ahem maybe a couple of them, but my really pretty one with the leaves carved into it hasn’t gotten here yet. I REALLY the love the shape and everything about that brocade one. So beautiful. And Dian Hong would be PERFECT for it