Imperial Yunnan Dong Ting Bi Luo Chun White tea

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Dag Wedin

• “My mind keeps chanting 'Bi Luo Chun, Bi Luo Chun, Bi Luo Chun' and it's driving me insane! I have to give in to my urges and drink it's delicious nectar. This tea is has a sweet and floral...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1154 tasting notes
  • “6.5g / 200ml in 360ml Banko-yaki Had to try this tea in a reduction fired pot. since its easy to have a high astringency result. Banko-yaki gives a more mellow flavour with a strong aftertaste....” Read full tasting note
    Dagwed 234 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Spring 2013 “Imperial Yunnan Dong Ting Bi Luo Chun” White tea

Processed in the same way as Jiangsu Bi Luo Chun this Yunnan varietal is made entirely from first flush tea from Simao in Yunnan. The tea is entirely hand-plucked tender shoots, picked in a two day period when the tiny shoots of spring meet the sun for the first time!

Extremely delicate tea in both appearance and taste. Smooth sweet taste and highly aromatic!

A rare Yunnan tea that reflects the high state of modern Yunnan tea culture!

February 26th to 28th harvest!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

My mind keeps chanting ‘Bi Luo Chun, Bi Luo Chun, Bi Luo Chun’ and it’s driving me insane! I have to give in to my urges and drink it’s delicious nectar.

This tea is has a sweet and floral (peony, jasmine combo) scent. The leaves are small and very curly with green and shiny silver colours.

First steep – 1 minute – Tea is pale yellow in colour and has a light but sweet vegetal/cabbage aroma. Flavour is subtle but matches the cabbage smell. Very delicious. Smooth, green, cabbage, sweet and buttery.

Second steep – 2 minutes – Flavour is thicker and more vegetal but still fairly smooth and very fresh. Also still very sweet and a little astringent.

Third steep – 3 minutes – Back to light again but still deliciously cabbagey and with a touch of dry, floral perfume.

As far as Bi Luo Chun goes I’m really digging this white version over the green. It’s much lighter but still has the same characteristics and flavours with a lot less astringency.

170 °F / 76 °C
Dag Wedin

I tried this again tonight. and found that its very sensitive to temperature. as soon as i do it above 80C all the fruity vegal goodness is gone. Turns astringent at the tip of a hat.
I will do this at 75C from now on.

6.5g / 200ml in 360ml Banko-yaki

Had to try this tea in a reduction fired pot. since its easy to have a high astringency result. Banko-yaki gives a more mellow flavour with a strong aftertaste. Kind of perfect for green/white tea.

I did 2 infusions.
1m/2m @ 75C

The result was marvelous. The first cup was light and clean. Very smooth. The second cup had a much fuller flavour with nuttiness and a hint of astringency. Mouthfeel was slightly dry. I think second infusin should be perhaps 1:45?
Anyways, reduction fired pot is much prefered compared to glas.