"Light Roast" Wild Tree Purple Varietal Black Tea of Dehong * Spring 2013

Edit tea info Last updated by brewzer80

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is a lightly processed black tea that was hand-crafted using a wild tree purple leaf varietal from Dehong prefecture. Ye Sheng "野生“ varietal aka “Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze var. assamica (J. Masters) Kitam.” is a primeval varietal that pre-dates Camellia Sinensis var. Assamica and is a naturally occuring non hybridized varietal. It’s potency in cha qi arises from it’s unadulterated nature. It is naturally bug repellent, grows wild in the forests of Yunnan at an altitude of 1600-2200 meters.

The aroma of tea is very strong and hints of eucalyptus and sugarcane. The bottom of the cup after drinking hints of dry red wine! The mouth feel is incredibly complex and stimulating with some slight bitterness and astringeny. Ultra smooth tea that after a few months will develop even more complexity. Very noticeable cha qi that heats up the body and hot day might cause the drinker to sweat a bit!

How is this tea different from the other Wild Tree Purple Varietal from Dehong that we sell:

- Processing and roasting uses less time and less heat
- The “ye sheng” varietal of tea used is more obvious
- Hints of Wu Yi Shan oolong in the aroma and mouth-feel
- More bitterness
- More aggressive cha qi

An incredibly rare tea, only 110 kilograms in total production for 2013!

Spring 2013

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

7g / 90ml celadon gaiwan.
I´ve taken to do some gongfu brewing when watching big bang theory.
This time i tried this purplevarietal and i must say it is well suited for gongfu. It lifted the whole the another level.
I´ve fond that most teas do better, maybe its the constant high temperature?

The flavour was intense and with considerably less astringency. Sweet with a sharp edge. A wee bit smokey.

i did
wash/10/15/20/30/45/1m/1:20 added 25s after that.

Worked well.

Terri HarpLady

Gongfu & Big Bang Theory! Nice combo!
I haven’t drank very many purple teas. This sounds tasty!

Dag Wedin

It is! Yunnan sourcing has a very good assortment of yunnan teas. They however specialize in pu-ehr.

Terri HarpLady

I have had a few samples from them through trades, but have yet to order directly from them, although I have loitered on their website more than once. :D

Asaf Mazar

They have a nice selection of yixing pots as well. My 180 ml duan ni pot is from YS. They also offer a good deal on sandalwood pu erh pick.

thanks terri! I’m not sure what to make of this one. I like it, but on the other hand it’s a little weak for me. I had a few steepings of this and it never developed into something i REALLY wanted. That being said, I’m glad to try it since i’m really enjoying the Yunnan sourcing journey that terri is taking me on! thanks sister!

Terri HarpLady

I think most of the Yunnan Sourcing blacks we’ve been having are at their best gongfued. I usually go with 5G + 4oz X 15/30/45sec/1min/2/ etc until it gets lame, :)

yeah i’ve been trying to brew most of them that way whenever possible :)

I have quite a few teas here that I’ve never tried, and this is one of them. It was included as a free sample in my most recent Yunnan Sourcing order, which was back around black friday, I think.

Sometimes I get caught up in just going with easy teas, you know, steep 1 tsp for 3 min, or whatever. I forget how much better these full leaf teas are in a gongfu session. So today I went with 5G + 4oz (rinse) X 15sec/30/45/1min…etc

OH, the Chaqi, oh the lovely mellow feeling, oh the delicious tea.
Herbaceous & sweet, love in a cup.

misssss yooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

((((Sil))))) Me too!!!!!
We need to hang out on FB soon, it’s been way too long.
ALSO, I need to get my act together & send this damn box off…LOL!

haha i’m doing a post office run this weekend to send swaps out :) figure that will be my kick off for march :)

Terri HarpLady

I might have to send 2 boxes. One for you, & one for the BBBB. I don’t think I have a box that is the right size to cram it all into, hahahah

i did that for you at christmas haha