2002 Menghai 7592 Ripe Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Caramel, Honey, Umami
Edit tea info Last updated by Dag Wedin
205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g

• “A review of a sample purchased through Yunnan Sourcing Excited to try an older ripe puerh, the wife and I sat down for a session after dinner. Brewed with water that had been off the boil for...” Read full tasting note
    drewtea 19 tasting notes
  • “First time trying ripe Pu-erh. Infuses very well, washed a few seconds and water was already brown. I did aprox 15 infusions in 100ml Yixing Zini Pu-erhpot. The 12th infusion started to get lighter...” Read full tasting note
    Dagwed 239 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Da Yi’s famous 7592 recipe! 100% dry-stored in Kunming. Amazing aged taste and super smooth. Tasting this cake you’ll understand why Da Yi has gotten such a good reputation for it’s ripe pu-erhs!

Batch 201

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

A review of a sample purchased through Yunnan Sourcing

Excited to try an older ripe puerh, the wife and I sat down for a session after dinner. Brewed with water that had been off the boil for about 5 minutes, I brewed about 5 grams in a hario teapot in a gong-fu fashion, rinsing the tea for about 15 seconds and discarding the water, then adding fresh water for subsequent steeps. The water was cooler with each steep, as I did not reheat the water on the stove. I believe this led to the tea being so smooth and calming.

I should also note that each steep was approx 200ml of water, as my wife and I enjoyed the session together with 100ml cups. Someone drinking alone would likely get far more steeps than we did.

First steep – 10 seconds – strong umami taste, not bitter or astringent. Medium red color tea. Not yet much of a mouth feel, perhaps even a bit dry.

Second steep – 10 seconds – a far deeper and darker red, the umami taste was somewhat tamed to reveal a strong honey flavor, of which my wife was very pleased. The mouth feel somewhat creamy

Third steep – 10 seconds – continues to be deep and dark red, umami taste further tamed, the honey slightly more pronounced but with a hint of caramel. The mouth feel remains soft with body.

At this point we decided that the tea was very calming and relaxing.

4th steep – 15 seconds – still deep red, however the flavors diminished across the board. The mouth feel was reduced.

I feel that there was at least one more steep, but we were content to stop where we were at. The current rate of this tea is $200 for a 357g cake, which is beyond my personal tea budget, however the 10 gram sample is definitely worth splurging on for a special evening.

Flavors: Caramel, Honey, Umami

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g

First time trying ripe Pu-erh.
Infuses very well, washed a few seconds and water was already brown.

I did aprox 15 infusions in 100ml Yixing Zini Pu-erhpot.
The 12th infusion started to get lighter in color. And im certain i could have gone on for quite awhile. However since i was drinking by myself… :)

The taste was earthy, thick. Since i dont have anything to compare to i really cant say much other than it had a very complex taste.
I do prefer raw pu-erh to this, by far.

Ziniclay went rather well with ripe Pu-erh.