Hai Lang Hao "Cha Wang" 2010

Pu-erh Tea
Green Melons, Mineral, Orange Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by Charles Thomas Draper
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 oz / 100 ml

• “Thanks to Charles Thomas Draper for mentioning this sheng. I bought a sample (cakes are very expensive) and immediately fired up my little pot and steeped it three times: at 30 seconds, 1 minute,...” Read full tasting note
    triumph 102 tasting notes
  • “-Review Best I have had to date a little anxious that I accidentally tried my two most expensive cake samples in the last few days, zero smokiness, zero bitterness, zero petrol taste, can not...” Read full tasting note
    Jiāng Luo 62 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

One of the two most premium Ancient Arbor cakes that Hai Lang will produce this year. Sure to be a classic. Just 40 kilos of this tea was produced entirely from early spring 2010 ancient arbor material.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Thanks to Charles Thomas Draper for mentioning this sheng. I bought a sample (cakes are very expensive) and immediately fired up my little pot and steeped it three times: at 30 seconds, 1 minute, and 2 minutes. The first steep was exquisitely smooth, with a light camphor taste and a more pronounced mandarin orange flavor. Things got pretty wild on the next two steeps; the orange remained, and was joined with chestnut and what reminded me of a perfect black bean sauce. This is a high energy tea that had me buzzing along way into the night, right through an excellent set by the Futurebirds at the Press Room in Portsmouth, NH. I’m going to try and conserve this tea; as good as it is now, it will be even better when some of the bitterness fades away over time.

TheTeaFairy

Glad to know their live performance did not disappoint :-)

Charles Thomas Draper

I’m drinking it now. It is sublime….

-Review
Best I have had to date a little anxious that I accidentally tried my two most expensive cake samples in the last few days, zero smokiness, zero bitterness, zero petrol taste, can not comment on qi or aftertaste as I have a huge caffiene/theanine tolerance and I took flavored fish oil which have their own orange flavored aftertaste lol. Started out herby then sweet like a melon and finally I am getting a mild fruitiness with a slight bite like a meyer lemon or blood orange.

-Take-away
I am finally starting to understand sheng and it’s appeal. Reading something a while back only now just hit me because this tea reminded me of a white tea, something along the lines of "Pu’er starts out tasting like green tea(bitter and astringent just like a green tea would be if you were to throw boiling water on it), later they taste like white tea(slightly fruity with a little astringency, more adept to higher temperatures as technically you can use near boiling water on them), after like an darker oolong (Have not tasted anything this “old” yet), and supposedly finally smooth like a black tea or ripened pu’er(smooth as possible and complex sweet flavors).

This makes sense if you think it existentially and how all types of tea come from one plant so theoretically it is slowly oxidizing itself through the stages of different types of tea. I am pretty jacked on tea at the moment so maybe I am just rambling but whether correct or not I feel a moment of clarity and understanding.

Flavors: Green Melons, Mineral, Orange Zest

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
mrmopar

Nice review!

Stephanie

Shengs are magical :)

Jiāng Luo

Wow still pretty up and motivated, wish I could afford a cake…. why must I have caviar taste but a PB&J budget