2012 Yunnan Sourcing "Mang Fei Mountain" Wild Arbor Raw Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Bitter, Bitter Melon, Sweet, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by Charles Thomas Draper

• “Hi everyone! Todays morning brew is an inexpensive offering from YS. I recently ordered from their China site in order to obtain some items that were only available there. Mainly to try the...” Read full tasting note
    chasmargate 294 tasting notes
  • “Another sample gift from new bud into pu erhs. Used a thin walled gaiwan quick rinse and rest. Aromas of gas, new leather cloth, tobacco, fresh timber. Flavors of pie crust, pine nut, sesame...” Read full tasting note
    BigDaddy 75 tasting notes
  • “Brewing this in the Gaiwan, 10 grams with a short rinse and about a minute rest period for the tea to open up. This is nice thick and pungent tea. It starts slightly sweet very full in the mouth...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 215 tasting notes
  • “I really enjoyed this tea. It has a lot of power in it. A good amount of bitterness and moderate complexity. Not terribly thick, but strong and tasty. I'm going to try the 2013 version next. ” Read full tasting note
    RichD 113 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Entirely wild arbor tea taken from 100-200 year old tea trees growing on Mang Fei mountain in Yong De county of Lincang. Full and stout one leaf to one bud ratio tea leaves. Mang Fei wild arbor tea has pronounced hairy buds and stout stems. The brewed leaves are a dark olive color.

The brewed tea is strong and full in the mouth with some astringency (as is typical of Lincang teas). The tea soup has a strong heavy aroma and cha qi. The tea can easily be brewed 10 times or more and still give off flavor. Incredibly high quality spring tea, stronger and more potent than the autumn 2010 and 2011 pressings we made.

Each cake is stone-pressed by traditional method and dried with low temperature air drying.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Hi everyone! Todays morning brew is an inexpensive offering from YS. I recently ordered from their China site in order to obtain some items that were only available there. Mainly to try the highly acclaimed 2010 Hai Lang Hao “Cha Wang”. For the price this Mang Fei is a bargain. I think its 30 dollars. The intial steepings were strong and smoky but as the session progressed the teas strength and potency revealed a beautiful flavor with a returning sweetness and a penetrating cha qi. This was a winner. I believe with aging this has the potential for greatness. For me, I really enjoy the intensity and raw energy of a young sheng.

Doug F

I’ve had some young shengs from yunnan sourcing that have given me the most amazing energy buzz. I’ll be interested to hear what you say about the Cha Wang. Is it still available?

TheTeaFairy

Hey you! I see that you’re still on your wonderful pu-erh journey :-) Sounds like a great find, enjoy!

Doug F

I just ordered some of the “Cha Wang.” I can’t wait to try it.

Charles Thomas Draper

Hi Rox!! Doug, I as far as I know it is…

Another sample gift from new bud into pu erhs. Used a thin walled gaiwan quick rinse and rest. Aromas of gas, new leather cloth, tobacco, fresh timber. Flavors of pie crust, pine nut, sesame seaweed crackers, butane, sawdust. Who knows what else? But I love it. Thick sticky mouth-feel, astringent far more than sweet but its not unpleasant, actually very pleasing. Loads of energy and stamina. Brewed about 30 steeps lost count as I drank it all day long. At the end I just put it in a pot on the stove and gently brought it to a simmer for 10 minutes to make sure nothing was left in the leaf….sick. the leaves were all uniform, thick and unbroken. This tea rocks.

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
TeaBrat

sawdust? not sure i’ve ever heard that before as pertain it to a tea :)

BigDaddy

More of a fresh woody smell as apposed to the foresty decomposed smell. I was floored by all the different scents.

Brewing this in the Gaiwan, 10 grams with a short rinse and about a minute rest period for the tea to open up. This is nice thick and pungent tea. It starts slightly sweet very full in the mouth with a hint of tobacco and bitter melon with a good bit of bitter at the end. Mang Fei teas of good quality always seem to carry this well into the brew. Very nice for now for those with the strong upfront qualities. I will look forward to see how this progresses in the years to come. A very upfront tea for sure.

Flavors: Bitter, Bitter Melon, Sweet, Tobacco

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I really enjoyed this tea. It has a lot of power in it. A good amount of bitterness and moderate complexity. Not terribly thick, but strong and tasty. I’m going to try the 2013 version next.