Spring 2013 Premium Grade "Jin Jun Mei" Fujian Black Tea of Wu Yi Shan

Edit tea info Last updated by sansnipple

From Yunnan Sourcing

Our Premium grade “Jin Jun Mei” is Spring 2013 harvest from the Wu Yi mountains of Fujian. Wu Yi Shan is well know for it’s rock oolongs (like Da Hong Pao, Tie Luo Han and others), and black teas. A long tradition of tea craft in Wu Yi combined with unique soil and growing conditions gives this black tea a special taste.

Small leaf varietal tea leaves are picked wilted and then oxidized in small batches. The tea is sweet and malty and brews a copper red tea soup!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I stayed up late filing a box of samples for my sister, MsWhatsit. There are a few other people I promised tea to (if you’re one of them, you might want to send me a reminder, LOL).
My goal is to get to the post office today, either in the morning or the afternoon, but it’s looking more like afternoon, since I have to be somewhere in an hour. Thus is my life, floating from one activity to another, teacup in hand.

This would be a sipdown, except I already have a refill in the attic (the attic being my bedroom). I love this tea: sweet, malty, slightly floral, a little pepper. The aroma of the dry leaf is hay that’s been trampled a little & warmed by the sun, perhaps along the path at the rennaisance faire. It’s a delicious middle of the staff tea, no heavy bass notes, no shrill instruments, a string quartet of cello, viola, & 2 violins. Smooth & flowing, & easy on the tummy before breakfast.

BigDaddy

I liken it to Dvorak Dumky trio No. 4

Terri HarpLady

Especially the 2nd movement!

Purchased this late summer and now that there is 4 inches on the ground it makes perfect sense to imbibe. This is my first foray into Jin Jun Mei. The funny thing is I bought a whole mess of tea without knowing much about them except the price and descriptions from the sellers websites. I knew I liked flavorful oolongs and reds but no finesse in my choices. So it was with this tea, buy first research second. Then comes the big day, will I be disappointed, is this just another tea look-a-like, how can I be so impulsive? Spent an hour googling all things Jin Jun Mei yesterday, and this offering from Yunnan Sourcing seems to be their medium grade offering. I’m surprised I didn’t buy the premium because if it costs more, surely it will taste better (as in a good bottle of wine…….not!).

Dry leaves are all uniform, small golden black threads with an inviting bouquet, saying brew me you will not be dissatisfied. Used a 150 teapot with 3.5 grams tea, quick rinse off the boil and then the first steep for 5 seconds.

OK now I can understand the bigger picture. I suffer from tea anxiety. I want every cup to be better than my last. I go willy-nilly on buying binges and hate to be unfulfilled. Thank goodness I bought the middle road Jin Jun Mei. The flavor was great, caramel, malty stout, and dried cherry sweetness. The liquor is of good body and carries the same fragrance if not more pronounced than the dried leaves. It steeped out to 7 brews and never really lost that much of its flavor or aroma.

Now I know why people seek out that special Jin Jun Mei to call their own. The tea is certainly worthy. In league with Qing Pin from Yezi tea. Alas I have wiggle room to try Yunnan Sourcing’s Premium grade next year in my search for the penultimate JJM.

Terri HarpLady

Hey, Big D, I have all of Yunnan Sourcing’s Jin Jun Mei’s, plus a few others. Let me know if you’d like samples!

BigDaddy

Thanks, my dear. Just placed another order from them for some tuo cha TGY mini cakes, because why else, its tea, its on their website, and I’m gonna drink it. Anxiety and all.

Another delicious tea from my box from Terri HarpLady :D

This is a nice Jin Jun Mei for sure. I love the honey sweetness and bright sparkling clarity. But it also has enough malt for a well balanced and crave-able flavor.