Feng Qing Ye Sheng Hong Cha - Wild Tree Purple Black Tea

Citrus, Cream, Smoke
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Lee

• “I continue to be very impressed & happy with the teas I get from Yunnan Sourcing, & this one is no exception. I sipped on it all morning, & although it reminds me of the Wild Purple of Dehong &...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “Origin: Spring 2014. From Feng Qing area of Lincang prefecture. This wild tree varietal grows in the mountainous areas, west Feng Qing township near the Da Si village at an altitude of 2000-2200...” Read full tasting note
    Lee 215 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

This is expertly fermented black tea was crafted using a wild tree purple leaf varietal from Feng Qing area of Lincang prefecture. This wild tree varietal grows wild in the mountainous areas west Feng Qing township near the Da Shi village at an altitude of 2000-2200 meters.

Ye Sheng "野生“ varietal aka “Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze var. assamica (J. Masters) Kitam.” is a primeval varietal that pre-dates Camellia Sinensis var. Assamica and is a naturally occuring non hybridized varietal. It’s potency in cha qi arises from it’s unadulterated nature. It is naturally bug repellent, grows wild in the forests of Yunnan at an altitude of 1600-2200 meters.

An very lightly wilted and processed tea, the green in the leaves is still present and the tea soup is a golden yellow color, much different from the Dehong Wild tree black tea that we also offer. There is a hint of fruit, chocolate and barrel aged rum in the taste and aroma. An exquisite experience!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I continue to be very impressed & happy with the teas I get from Yunnan Sourcing, & this one is no exception. I sipped on it all morning, & although it reminds me of the Wild Purple of Dehong & Master Hans Wild picked Yunnan, that is more in the energy that the tea brings, than in the actual flavor.

The leaf material is beautiful, both dry & wet, & it features a light tanginess, but not as sweet & plum-like as the Wild Purple is. The most notable quality is a wonderful satisfying mouth & mind.

sherapop

I placed my first order with them yesterday. I should have got some of this!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve already started a list for my ‘next’ order. lol

Origin: Spring 2014. From Feng Qing area of Lincang prefecture. This wild tree varietal grows in the mountainous areas, west Feng Qing township near the Da Si village at an altitude of 2000-2200 meters.
Dry leaf: Very beautiful, appear blackish brown with a purple tint. Look flattened and then twisted. Scents of malt, cocoa, dried fruit.
Method: 4 oz Gong Fu pot 190F 4 grams tea
20” rinse / 45” / 45”
Wet Leaf: More flattened ribbons of dark brown with a smoky cocoa scent.
Liquor: Deep Golden
Flavor: Bright, fresh, lighter flavor than expected. Not too thin or thick on the mouthfeel, just right. Citrus, cream, tiny hint of smoke. Cha qi,,, SHENGadelic !!!!
Absolutely delicious, beautiful, complex, fragrant, fantastic!!!
_________________________________________________________________________
7/24/14
Have had this lots of times now, gong fu style but today I tried it Western style in a new little Western teapot that is cup size with an infuser the same size as the pot so it really lets my leaves have room. This tea is always delicious and one of my top ten favorite teas. It is just as good Western style. The flavors are so balanced. You have a lovely citrus note up front, then a creamy note takes you to a smoky effect but very subtle smoke on the nose. This tea is really fantastic to me.
__________________________________________________________________________

Ye Sheng is the tea varietal. Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze var. assamica (J. Masters) Kitam." is a primeval varietal that pre-dates Camellia Sinensis var. Assamica and is a naturally occuring non hybridized varietal. (from Yunnan Sourcing)

ye (Ye4) = leaf (叶 or 葉), or whole-leaf grade of hong cha

hong (Hong) = (红 or 紅) 2 Red, usually in hong cha; or (烘) 1 Bake[d]

Flavors: Citrus, Cream, Smoke

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 45 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
TheTeaFairy

Lol, Hurray for “Cha qi SHENGadelic” (also known as tea orgasm)

Terri HarpLady

I am totally loving this post, & TeaFairy’s resulting comment as well!

Terri HarpLady

Oh, just realized this is one of the Teas I got in my recent YS order! Yippee!

donkeytiara

Because this has “sheng” in it, does it mean it’s like a pu-er?

Lee

This is a fermented black tea. Sheng in Chinese means raw or alive. I am no expert,,,these are just things I have read. This could be material that they could use to press into cakes if they would want but it is loose,,mao cha (translates to unfinished tea).

Lee

donkeytiara

There’s so much to learn!! :)