Xue Ju Shu Pu 2013

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by BigDaddy

• “Not sure if I have the 2012 or 2013 since it came as an unlabeled freebie. Was really kinda nasty when it first arrived (from the overpoweringly pungent chrysanthemums, not the puerh), but after...” Read full tasting note
    sansnipple 14 tasting notes
  • “Wish I had read SANSNIPPLE's note before trying this tea. It is indeed a bit unruly with its tackiness and pungency. But I put mine away in the cupboard as well and it did mellow some in the...” Read full tasting note
    BigDaddy 45 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Aged ripe tea from three different sources produced in 2007, 2008 and 2009). This lovely semi-aged blend of ripe tea was mixed with Kunlun Snow Chrysanthemum flowers.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Not sure if I have the 2012 or 2013 since it came as an unlabeled freebie. Was really kinda nasty when it first arrived (from the overpoweringly pungent chrysanthemums, not the puerh), but after airing out for a few months it’s starting to settle down and get drinkable, and after aggressive rinsing it’s actually surprisingly nice. Sweet, and kind of a medicinal and spicy sort of flavor. After cursing this tiny brick (and it is tiny, that 100g is so densely compressed) for completely stinking up my entire YS order on it’s long journey here, I’m now actually enjoying its existence and looking forward to its future, so long as it promises to stay far far away from my other tea (and from my yixing).

Wish I had read SANSNIPPLE’s note before trying this tea. It is indeed a bit unruly with its tackiness and pungency. But I put mine away in the cupboard as well and it did mellow some in the drying.

Brewing was another mess all together. Used my yixing pot, chaulk one up for naivete. Water at 200F and rinsed 5 grams of tea. I was able to get a nice chunk of tea from this small brick so I was not surprised when I rinsed and the color was a nice light brick. Then came the first steep which was as soon as the water filled the pot I poured. Mud, mud, mud. Smelled like mud, looked like mud, tasted like mud. If I only read the review first. But no, I drank the first steep anyway, yuck. Then it dawned on me to check the review, wait for it, ohhhh I should have rinsed it a few times, duh. Did three more rinses and the soup is still a dark brick colour, but no longer tastes of mud, and it does have a faint sweetness added to the traditional pu ehr flavors. I can now discern the flavors of the chrysanthemum versus the tea and I’m feeling a bit better about this unruly brick of pu erh.