Imperial Grade Jin Jun Mei from Tong Mu Guan Village * Spring 2013

Brown Toast, Earth, Floral, Malt, Molasses, Raisins, Roasted nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

• “I've been sitting at my desk for the last hour or so, paying bills, reading emails, balancing bank accounts, & sipping this tea. The warmed aroma of toast drenched with honey is so enticing, and...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2973 tasting notes
  • “Also from *Nicole* (and I suspect originally from *boychik*). I figured since I tried the "regular" version of this, I might as well try the imperial grade next so I could compare! These leaves...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 544 tasting notes
  • “Another from the endless Yunnan Sourcing box from *boychik!* :) This one was a little too smoky for me to be a tea I'd order and keep on hand. However, the smoke was mild enough that I did drink...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 523 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

AAA (Imperial) grade Jin Jun Mei from Tong Mu Guan village in the Wu Yi mountains! Special processing and super-fine leaves gives this a unique taste and strong cha qi!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I’ve been sitting at my desk for the last hour or so, paying bills, reading emails, balancing bank accounts, & sipping this tea. The warmed aroma of toast drenched with honey is so enticing, and the cup of tea reminds me of boston brown bread.

Also from Nicole (and I suspect originally from boychik). I figured since I tried the “regular” version of this, I might as well try the imperial grade next so I could compare! These leaves look like miniature versions of the others, but they have less golden color, which I found weird. The dry scent is very mild as well, maybe with a touch more honey? I used the same brewing parameters.

I get the same dark bread and molasses aroma, but with maybe a touch more earthiness and a more toasted scent. The taste is very roasty, which is amazing! Like a slice of dark wheat toast with a little bit of roasted unsweetened nut butter along with the molasses. And I love that so much about this tea! I also get a hint of raisiny goodness. The earth note is still there, but it seems more mellow and refined, I couldn’t compare it to smoke anymore. And I think I catch a hint of floral in the aftertaste? Couldn’t tell you what kind of flower it is, though.

There was a little bitterness in this brew, especially when taking multiple sips in quick succession. So next time I make this I might try a lower water temperature and/or a 2m30s steep. Very good though!

Flavors: Brown Toast, Earth, Floral, Malt, Molasses, Raisins, Roasted nuts

Dexter

Interesting to see your comparison of the two right together. I just ordered both the Premium Grande and Imperial Grade of the spring 2014 Jin Jun Mei. Can’t wait to be able to do a side by side too. :))

Another from the endless Yunnan Sourcing box from boychik! :)

This one was a little too smoky for me to be a tea I’d order and keep on hand. However, the smoke was mild enough that I did drink it all. I couldn’t pick out any flavors other than a nice tea with a moderate woodsmoke. Glad to have had the opportunity to try it!