Simao "Spring Tips" Pure Bud Black Tea of Yunnan

Malt, Sugarcane
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Lee

• “Tiny leaf with a dry aroma of usual malt. Steeped 3gm in 110 yixing the flavors were clean and honest with the prerequisite malt and honey without its sweetness and a slight bitterness at the end....” Read full tasting note
    BigDaddy 56 tasting notes
  • “This was my first session of the day, using 5G + 4oz (rinse) X 15/30/45/ etc I warmed up the leaf in the hot little teapot & the aroma was heavenly, immediately conjuring up images of Maltomeal...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2918 tasting notes
  • “Origin: Yunnan, China. Early Spring harvest, 2014 Dry Leaf: Cute, tiny, twisted threads that are golden and dark in color and sweet-smelling like brown sugar with malt. Method: I played with...” Read full tasting note
    Lee 225 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

A pure bud tea. Tea is picked just a short few days after sprouting and then carefully processed to preserve it’s delicate nature. The tea buds are very small and covered with hairs. The brewed tea is sweet and malty with hints of sugarcane.
An enjoyable tea with complexity and a thick tea soup that fills and soothes the mouth.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Tiny leaf with a dry aroma of usual malt. Steeped 3gm in 110 yixing the flavors were clean and honest with the prerequisite malt and honey without its sweetness and a slight bitterness at the end. I could taste a hint of Pu Erh and wonder if this leaf is used in Pu Erh production since it is a Simao. I used very short steeps in the beginning which had good mouth feel. It lasted to about 8 brews and then petered out.

As for my taste, not bad for a sample, and it is in the Yunnan vein so it is better than most red teas but its no Qing Pin.

This was my first session of the day, using 5G + 4oz (rinse) X 15/30/45/ etc
I warmed up the leaf in the hot little teapot & the aroma was heavenly, immediately conjuring up images of Maltomeal drizzled with a really fragrant honey.
I could breath that in all day. Why do I love that aroma so much? It’s not like I was a real fan of maltomeal…

Anyway, the tea was predictably delicious. The leaves are tiny & tender, & they released their flavors fairly quickly, so that this session peaked out much faster than others, but the cups were rich with malt & honey initially, then a more flavor of earth & leather, with a slight bitterness. Definitely better in the first cups.

TheTeaFairy

Funny how our olfactory receptors work…there’s a bunch of foods I love to smell, but don’t even care to eat.

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, I can relate to that. There are even more foods that I absolutely love to smell, but unfortunately cannot eat, no matter how much I want to…sigh…tiny pitty party :(

Origin: Yunnan, China. Early Spring harvest, 2014
Method: I played with this one a lot before finally switching from a small 3.38 oz gong fu pot to a tokoname kyusu pot that I use for gyokuro. These leaves are so small and delicate that I found it best to brew it like gyokuro to bring out its best. So this is immediate rinses and pours. I used 1 1/2 tsp/2 grams tea in my tiny 2oz tokoname pot.
I brewed it at a low temperature as you would a delicate green tea as well, 170F. These are all very delicate buds that were picked a few short days after sprouting so they do not like heat and sitting in hot water.
Wet Leaf: Still tiny and thin after opening up, all very tiny buds. When I was using my other little gong fu pot, the leaves were escaping and causing uneven brewing by getting into the little pour holes. My tokoname has a fine mesh strainer built in so it was perfect to achieve an even brewing exposure for the tiny leaves.
Liquor: Golden orange color with scents of honey and malt.
Flavor: Lightly and subtly sweet and malty. Very lovely and delicate tea!
__________________________________________________________________________
7/14/14
Had some Gong Fu style this morning. Good stuff!!!
__________________________________________________________________________