Spring 2014 Fu Shou Mei Feng Qing Black Tea

Brown Sugar, Caramel, Dried Fruit, Grain, Malt, Molasses, Raisins, Cream, Smoke, Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by ifjuly

• “This is an older sample, I think it's from my first box from *Nicole*... Oopsies! The name of this one confuses me, hah! I thought Shou Mei was a white tea? But apparently Fu Shou Mei is the name...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 393 tasting notes
  • “This is a mysterious looking little wiry black tea. Quite magical when steeped! Rich and satisfying and complex enough to keep my interest. Chocolatey, malty, and fruity sweet! Great stuff. I'm...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 901 tasting notes
  • “This very hay-smelling when dry. Steeped, this is just plain yum. I did it for 1 minute, 1:30 and 2 minutes. Then I left it in the cup for about 5 minutes. All steeps were deep and rich and malty...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 519 tasting notes
  • “once i made this tea gongfu style 200F 1TBSP 150ml 3/5/5/5/7/9sec etc The tea was very potent,I forgot how many steeps I made and it lasted 2 days. Today inspired by *Lee* i made it western...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 338 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

First flush of pure bud “Dian Hong” Feng Qing area tea was used to compose this special process tea!

The freshly picked tea is wilted and then briefly fried in tropcal Yunnan muscovado style (un-processed) red sugar. The sugar is mixed with water, and used sparily in the frying process of the leaves. The brewed tea has a noticeably sweet taste and a nice malty full mouth-feel. The sweetness imparted by processing is subtle, and not overpowering at all! The unprocessed sugar (from cane stalks) imparts a special aroma and taste which commingles with the tea making it a lovely experience.

A unique tea never offered before!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

This is an older sample, I think it’s from my first box from Nicole… Oopsies! The name of this one confuses me, hah! I thought Shou Mei was a white tea? But apparently Fu Shou Mei is the name for this specific tea processed with red cane sugar. The only other Feng Qing tea I’ve had is the dragon pearl variety from TeaVivre, and I wasn’t terribly impressed with it. Good but not great!

Anyway, long story short, I didn’t really know what to expect from this tea! The leaves are black and spindly, and quite long for how thin they are. I didn’t get much of a dry scent from them, maybe a little touch of sweet and malt. Did my usual 3 minute steep.

Ooh, aroma! The brewed tea smells strongly of raisins or prunes, with an obvious caramelized brown sugar scent. There’s malt there too, of course. I confess, on my first sip, it was totally an eyes-rolling-back-into-my-head moment. I love the strength of the dried fruit flavor in this tea! It’s dark and rich, with lots of raisin/prune and maybe a touch of fig. There’s a dark grainy flavor, not quite bready, more like raw grain but in a rich sense. I wouldn’t describe this tea as “sweet”, but it has a lot of molasses flavor along with dark caramelized sugar. It’s weird to describe a sugar flavor as not being sweet, I guess it adds more of a richness and almost toasty flavor.

This tea is so delicious, I’m now sad that I waited so long to try it. I’m sorry, little baggie that got lost at the bottom of my sample pile! This is the tea I would reach for when I want something dark, rich, and comforting. Definitely a reorder, and I would love to try the autumn harvest too!

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Caramel, Dried Fruit, Grain, Malt, Molasses, Raisins

Tealizzy

I went to put this on my wishlist but I already tagged it! Haha! I guess someone else highly recommended this one. Must be good!

Cameron B.

Definitely a good one if you like darker teas with fruity notes. :D

boychik

One of my many faves fr YS. I didn’t have any bad tea fr them

Cameron B.

boychik, I’ve liked every tea I’ve tried from them so far. :)

Cheri

This sounds tasty. I was digging through my tea pantry looking for a specific tea, and I found a few that had fallen off the back of the shelf that I’d forgotten I had. Oops! It happens. I’ve moved mine to the front of the shelf so I can’t forget about them again.

Great stuff. I’m going to hoard the rest of the sample boychik sent me. Thanks!!

Edited to state that I’m REALLY loving the lingering aftertaste of this tea….mmmmm!

boychik

I love YS blacks. Great quality and price. Happy to share ;)

Terri HarpLady

I have to chime in on YS teas! This is one of the teas I recently shared with the BBBBox. I bought it because the name was similar to Verdant’s Anxi Fo Shou black, & although they aren’t really similar, this is an interesting & tasty tea in its own right!

This very hay-smelling when dry. Steeped, this is just plain yum. I did it for 1 minute, 1:30 and 2 minutes. Then I left it in the cup for about 5 minutes. All steeps were deep and rich and malty with cocoa. Thanks for sharing boychik!

boychik

YS teas are fun. If only I could convert you to Puerh…

Nicole

I still have some from you. I try them little bits at a time when I find a lot of time to concentrate on them. :)

boychik

Maybe you will find more time in Fall/Winter. You don’t have to have a full session. Very often I make 3 steeps, then walk away because I have to do smth. Then brew next day, etc

boychik

Or sometimes I combine several steeps in one huge mug

once i made this tea gongfu style 200F 1TBSP 150ml 3/5/5/5/7/9sec etc
The tea was very potent,I forgot how many steeps I made and it lasted 2 days.
Today inspired by Lee i made it western style
190F 1tsp 8oz 3min
i checked it at 3min and decided it was strong enough for me, some slight bitterness was creeping in. it is very flavorful. Smell amazing sweet and raisiny. tastes malty sweet,some slight sour notes. it has some assamic notes for me. in other words , it is multi flavored tea. I loved it.
i think its better gongfu style, you have more control and you will not oversteep. it gets oversteeped easily.
2nd steep 2 min only introduced some grapefruit notes. not sweet, no hay, still malty , nutty and completely different profile. very interesting tea.

boychik

it is nice, absolutely no more than 3 min steep, because as it cools it becomes astringent. tricky but nice

Lee

What shape vessel is your Western teapot? Mine is a classic oval shaped teapot that I use a deep stainless steel mesh infuser in. And, use Culligan water. Also, I should note that I brewed 2 cups at a time,,2 tsp with the two cups water in the pot. I did not find any astringency or bitter at 4 minutes! BC I hate astringency so I would have noted this. :) :) :)

boychik

i made it in Davids perfect cup.

boychik

when it cooled and i had maybe 1/3 of a cup left i had to dilute it w/water to bring it down. just a splash. Anyway i like this tea a lot.

Lee

Looked up the David’s cup. I usually do stop steeping blacks at 3" but when I tasted this one, it needed 1 more minute bc the leaves were tightly twisted. Would have to do a proper side by side bc our vessels are very different. Interesting!

boychik

maybe water? i used filtered tap water. They say NYC water is good

boychik

take a look at Terri’s review of this tea Autumn’13.

Lee

That’s the one good thing about living in the desert as far as tea goes, is I always have deliciously filtered water bc the tap water is so bad here. Have to go to big professional machines for water so I don’t use tap or bottled. Well I’m glad I didn’t get astringency lol bc it sux.

boychik

2nd steep was different. grapefruit showed up.

BigDaddy

YC black teas are no joke, I have really appreciated them all so far and I agree that gonfu preparation is the way to go with most of them. I cut back from my usual 7gm to 5gm or less with those that brew up faster.

boychik

BigDaddy I prefer to brew them gongfu but this time I decided to go western just to see if I get the same notes as Lee. It’s probably never be the same. Diff water and diff tastebuds

Lee

Tried this one Gong Fu style this morning with more great results!!! It is good stuff!!!!!!

boychik

Yay for gongfu! I remember I steeped those leaves forever. Dumped them after 2 days. Hubby is annoyed with multiple gaiwans and teapot on a countertop

Lee

Gong FU is the best,,,I’ve got a less “breakable” everyday Gong Fu pot coming to me in the mail that I am gonna start using. I usually rinse and put away all my tea ware and just keep the leaves in a little Asian style bowl in case I want to use again. But he shouldn’t be annoyed,,,maybe get yourself a nice little tea table to keep all your wares on so he won’t get annoyed by countertop being covered lol

boychik

yea its a good idea, but my house is tiny fully attached, its like an apartment. and 3 kids running around like crazy and hubby is a bull in a china shop. maybe in my next life in a spacious enough house. he has to deal with it. he is a little more tolerant now, and i try to steep 3-4 teas a day no more.haha

lol too funny

5/19/14
Dry leaves are tiny, thin, black, twisted eyebrows with scents of brown sugar and raisin. I love this shape,,,,good things are gonna happen here…….
Brewed this Western style at 190F for 4 minutes.
The wet leaves open up to be all needle buds,,smell sweet and are mud-brown clay color now.
Liquor is a deep auburn orange-brown with scent of sweet malty raisin pie.
Flavor- Oh Yeahhh,,,subtle sweet, deep malt, rich, scents of cooked raisin, cocoa. Touch of orange in the finish but very subtle.
As the liquor cools, scents of cream,,,,some whipped cream on the raisin pie,,,,,good stuff.

5/22/14
Tried this on Gong FU style this morning with more great results!
190F 2tsp – 4oz pot
15" rinse
30" golden sunflower colored liquor – creamy, malty, very very subtle notes of orange but no bitter or astringency
45" this is a delicious Yunnan black tea,,,the quintessence of this type of tea,,,so great!!!

6/2/14
Brewed Western style this morning and overleafed a bit. Should have used my scale but I just eyeballed it. This tea needs to be precisely measured bc it is easy to overleaf such tiny twisty threads lol. Still delicious though, I just brewed it strong :)

6/8/14
Took this one down to 160F for 3 minutes. Brewed 8 oz in a Pyrex cup. I have been brewing this too hot as these are very very young and delicate leaves. Even though it is a black tea, I learned to treat these first flush of pure bud leaves and other teas like them with a very low temperature.
Very malty but not super sweet until the tea starts to cool off a bit and then there is a sweet aftertaste. Very delicate tea and maltalicious!!

6/13/14
Had this after lunch, Western style. Low temp of 160 again for 3 minutes. Heavenly ,,, sweet and malty. So good.
_________________________________________________________________________
7/3/14
My morning tea, gong fu style!! 190F, immediate rinse, then 15" each time. I love this tea and tea type,,it is one of my absolute favorites !!! Malty, creamy, naturally sweet. Pretty dark golden color. Excellent!!
__________________________________________________________________________
7/13/14
Gong Fu this morning!! immediate rinse, 6"-4"- 6" -8" YUMMM!!
__________________________________________________________________________
7/25/14
Western style today with a 1 cup style glass teapot with huge infuser that spans the same size as the teapot (my new favorite method). This stuff is smoky, sweet, and malty. Love it. Since it is fired with muscovado sugar, the second steeping is always more smoky than the first and less sweet.
_________________________________________________________________________
7/30/14
Western Style today,,,,190F for 4 minutes ,,,,1 tsp tea per 8 oz water. The liquor is deeper red and smells so rich, sweet, malty, and good!! Flavor is also rich, sweet, malty, and good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this tea and I’m running low now :(

Fu Shou Mei (Fortune/Longevity Eyebrow)
feng qing (Feng4 Qing4) = (凤庆 or 鳳慶) factory, established in 1939, in the Lin Cang region, that was the first factory to make Dian Hong, now also making pu’ercha; also a Da Ye cultivar suited to hongcha and lücha; also a county in western Lincang bordering Baoshan

Flavors: Cream, Malt, Raisins, Smoke, Sugar

caile

Sounds nice!

:) :) :) yummm :) :) :)

TheTeaFairy

“Whipped cream on the raisin pie” , ok you are making hungry and I don’t even like whipped cream!
:-):-):-)

MzPriss

Yeah but I want some raisin pie now

A wonderful surprise gift from boychik. This tea is unlike anything I’ve had, I reckon. It’s smooth and sweet and has some satisfying rich black tea flavor, yet there’s a freshness, almost a green element to it too, a little plant-like. The sweetness is a kind I’m not at all used to with black tea; it’s more like the kind I love and associate with greens like Laoshan Green and good bilochuns. I wonder if that’s the cane sugar they describe in the unusual quick-fried process. Whatever it is, it’s delicious and unique (and perfect for the season, which can’t make up its mind if it’s still winter or going to honestly stay spring—this is how I feel right now: https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10154100_622880174469069_8744260657632339606_n.jpg ). Later steeps bring out an oat bran smell I’m digging. Man, I may have to procure a bunch of this. Awesome find, boychik! And thank you so much for sharing it (and so much of it! Gosh) with me. :D

200 °F / 93 °C 1 min, 0 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML
boychik

i had to surprise you with something unusual. I remember i resteeped it many times.

ifjuly

yeah, i’ve had 3 cups so far…i love it. i have a confession to make—i’ve been distracted from tea logging thanks to perfume sample logging—but tonight, this tea definitely beat the pants off the perfume i tried (just ho-hum vanilla, cinnamon, and cooked apple). really wonderful. thank you so much for sharing it with me! i’m not sure i’d want to, in your shoes, ha.

boychik

Ok now you have to share that perfume logging;). I love reading abt perfume

ifjuly

right now i’ve been haphazardly posting them along with everything else on facebook. i should put them in a dedicated spot i reckon, before they get too unruly…

ifjuly

ok, here we go: http://absolution.livejournal.com/1334655.html if you push the “forward” arrow at the top it’ll keep paging through to the next log. i’ve only got maybe 4 up right now—i haven’t logged perfume in years ‘cause i don’t play with it while weightlifting, and just got back into it. so you like perfume too? do you have favorites? do tell! (:

boychik

i dont know how come i didnt look at the journal. I just did briefly. OMG Tom Ford’s tobacco vanille. I love it. i dont use it everyday, its too special. Friend of mine as soon as she tried she ran to Bloomies to get it. Miss you…