Silver needles white tea of fen Qing spring 2014

White Tea
Cream, Hay, Honeysuckle
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Brian

• “Kinda wasted my extra time this morning just doing stupid shit on Tumblr when really I wanted to be watching GOT; oh well. At least I got in a few cups of tea including this sample from *221Tea*...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1713 tasting notes
  • “This is by far the best silver needle I have tasted, it's flavor is so complex and evolves over the course of the tasting. Be very careful on the steep times because 5 seconds either way makes a...” Read full tasting note
    Bgrinham 58 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

High quality hand-picked and processed silver needles (pure bud) white tea from Da Si village in Feng Qing county of Lincang.

Slight cinnamon spice aroma when brewed. Thick and sweet. Very lubricating mouth-feel that stays in the mouth after drinking.

Brewing tip: Use 90c water and keep infusion times short for the first 3 to 4 infusions. Can be infused 7 or 8 times!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Kinda wasted my extra time this morning just doing stupid shit on Tumblr when really I wanted to be watching GOT; oh well. At least I got in a few cups of tea including this sample from 221Tea and her hubby Brian!

I’ve been wanting to try it for a while now but couldn’t while I was sick because I was really worried I’d miss out on the subtleties in it. But I feel totally clear and healthy today (it’s a miracle!) so bring it!

This is really nice; it’s gentle and really serene but still has some pretty distinct flavour notes to it. Specifically I picked up cream notes and sweet hay. The tea’s description says “Sweet Cinnamon Spice Aroma” but I really didn’t get that from it. Then again, I brewed it actually using Stacy’s recommended steeping parameters for Doke Silver Needle instead of in short 15 sec. or so infusions so maybe that was the difference. I still have one more cup left. I guess I can save that last cup to try out that way; I don’t typically want seven cups of one tea (and this is supposed to be good for like eight infusions), but maybe it’s worth trying it out just to see the difference in flavour.

Tasted good my way though.

Description also says “very lubricating mouthfeel” which seemed really weird to me, but after drinking it I totally get what they meant. It is weird, but very accurate.

Flavors: Cream, Hay, Honeysuckle

Cavocorax

“lubricating mouthfeel” lulz

OMGsrsly

^^ That’s gotta be an interesting thing to experience… :D

This is by far the best silver needle I have tasted, it’s flavor is so complex and evolves over the course of the tasting. Be very careful on the steep times because 5 seconds either way makes a big difference, when they say the first steep after rinsing is only 10 seconds they mean it! I do find that after 3 or 4 steeps the flavor kind of mellows but on a good way, as though the tea was speaking loudly at first to be heard in a full tea cabinet but then settles down once it knows you’re paying attention.