Sun-Dried Purple Buds Wild Pu-erh Tea Varietal

Pu-erh Tea
Honey, Peach, Stonefruits, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by Lee

2 Images

• “5/12/14 Spring 2014 Sun-Dried Purple Buds from the "ye sheng" varietal of camellia tea trees which grow wild in tropical Dehong. The dry buds are brownish purple-green and smell like tobacco,...” Read full tasting note
    Lee 247 tasting notes
  • “I enjoyed this tea from the first moment - opening the bag and inhaling the aroma resulted in thoughts of walking through a pine forest. The tea is full of honey sweetness. It keeps on giving...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 291 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Sun-Dried Purple Buds Wild Pu-erh Tea Varietal
These little purple buds come from the “ye sheng” varietal of camellia tea trees which grow wild in tropical Dehong. These sun-dried buds are in a very limited supply and are in high demand among pu-erh tea connoisseurs due to their richness and complexity! They have a fresh and fruity flavor similar to other varietals of sun-dried buds, but they also have a deep and robust aroma and aftertaste reflective of their “ye sheng” origins. March harvest.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

5/12/14
Spring 2014 Sun-Dried Purple Buds from the “ye sheng” varietal of camellia tea trees which grow wild in tropical Dehong.
The dry buds are brownish purple-green and smell like tobacco, prunes, the outdoors in the mountains.
Brewed the buds at 160F for 3 minutes Western style.
Liquor is white, clean, clear with a light tint of champagne color with scents of subtle cinnamon, prune.
Wet leaves now have turned a bit more green and revived to their natural state. I love these bud type teas,,,It’s like you picked the wild buds and brewed them over a fire in the mountains. Very natural and wild.
The flavor is fruity and layered. There is honey, subtle cinnamon notes, pruny tobacco.

Second steeping – I upped the temp to 190F for 3 minutes still Western style.
Brought out a bit more of the more dominant tobacco notes and the subtle ones stepped back. I like the lower temp for buds though this steeping is also delicious. Both temps produced delicious results.

I am aging the rest of these buds for a while so I’ll be checking back and drinking and noting the date here every once in a while :) Delicious!! Not rating any of my pu-erhs because they are ever changing and am learning and new to when their peak will be. Very yummy right now so I can only imagine this one will get sweeter and more complex :)
__________________________________________________________________________
7/25/14
Couldn’t resist getting a teaspoon of this out of my aging jar to try today. I brewed Western style at 175F for 3 minutes. The liquor is pearl clear color and the scent is definitely Sheng with notes of tobacco, wild herbs, and honey.
The flavor has mellowed since I’ve had it in the unglazed jar!!! Far out!!!!!! It is creamy, tobacco, peach pit, honey. Very beautiful dry purple buds too. I love this tea to look at as well as drink!!

Flavors: Honey, Peach, Stonefruits, Tobacco

I enjoyed this tea from the first moment – opening the bag and inhaling the aroma resulted in thoughts of walking through a pine forest. The tea is full of honey sweetness. It keeps on giving and giving of itself.

I was curious about this tea since I am a fan of yabao so I added it to a recent Yunnan Sourcing puerh cake order (note: these buds were picked in March 2014). The beautiful whole buds themselves vary greatly in both color (medium brown, tan, with touches of green thrown in here and there) and size (from ½ inch to 1 ¼ inch).

Very clear, pale yellow tea soup; the taste is sweet and fruity with hints of evergreen. First steep offers a pleasant evergreen flavor; the next two steeps begin to produce subtle flavors of fruit (light and subtle like apples); my last two steeps were pleasantly mellow and sweet. I plan to resteep the remaining leaves twice and chill in the fridge overnight.

Bottom line – fun to play with; very forgiving; quite flexible and versatile; potential for many resteeps.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
Stephanie

Neat, sounds fancy :)

DigniTea

It’s definitely fun but quite simple actually and I definitely admire it for its work horse characteristics – it just keeps working. I think I ended up steeping it 11 times and the last two are in the fridge for tomorrow. Nice price for the power you get – $7 for 50g.

Stephanie