Imperial Pure Bud Bi Luo Chun Yunnan White Tea * 2014 Spring

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by boychik

2 Images

• “This is quite a visually appealing tea appearing assilvery corkscrews of downy white tea that has occasional sneak previews of the spruce green blades thee leaves would of been if they had been...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 380 tasting notes
  • “Well, this is really different. Thanks for sharing *boychik* :) I steeped this Western style for about 2 minutes. It DOES have some really strange tongue numbing effects. I'm not getting any...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 940 tasting notes
  • “heaping 1TBSP 185F 150ml gaiwan 1st steep 5sec. So pale, almost colorless. Smells of chorizo (i must be hungry). not strong, but so delicious. i find nuts, sugar snap peas, hay. its very...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 385 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

An exquisite white tea made entirely from newly sprouted buds. A special varietal of tea grown in Mojiang county of Simao. This tea is picked twice yearly in spring and autumn for just a three day period during which the buds are consistent in length and appearance. They are a beautiful bright green color when brewed. The taste is malty with hints of fruit and cane sugar.

2014 Spring Harvest

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

This is quite a visually appealing tea appearing assilvery corkscrews of downy white tea that has occasional sneak previews of the spruce green blades thee leaves would of been if they had been allowed to fully open. The tea is beautiful to look at while brewing especially during the first few steeps while the tea is unwinding and the leaves appear to be dancing in the liquid while shimmering as though reflecting light.

The dry leaf smells of light roasted/ smoke insence note from processing, cucumber, something sweet and honey like, perhaps a white peach tone, and clover.

1 used about 1.5 TSP in a 150ml Taiwan and steeped the tea 8 times ( 50×2, 70, 100,140,180,240 &360s)

The first steep yielded a pale green tinged broth that had a strong floral scent of gardenia mixed with rose, and a light green scent llike sweet pea sprouts, a soft fruity plum like sweetness lay underneath.

It tasted of a green floral, over sweet plum with hint of roasted notes and a reference to sprouted sweet greens.aftertaste is a lingering sweet honey note. The flavour is light but pleasant. As it cools the green cool floral note mixes with a bit of cucumber with the more rounded sweetness remaining muted underneath.

The next two steeps were brighter and more intense with the plum tone more intense and the floral scent heading to freesia, the green sprout note and honey were still present.

The flavour was of freesia, clover, light pea sprout, cucumber, light plum, and had a more delicate sweetness. They were very floral, and slightly spicy on the tongue. There was a slightly thicker broth that developed more creaminess. Once again sweetness intensified in the aftertaste.

At 100s. the broth took on more of a yellow tone. The scent reminded me a little of a sunscreen I’ve had with freesia and a cooler green orchid, over plum, and a cream note. It was soft and floral with a touch of sweetness.

The flavour was of green sprouts, cucumber a faint hint of freesia and sweet plum.

The following steeps consisted of a blend of fading cool floral notes, cucumber and plum, with the introduction and then rapid loss of an artichoke note. By the last steep the flavour was quite faint and was more of an impression.

The finished leaves are thickened straightened buds.

This is a tea that may be appreciated by lovers of green floral Oolong’s, as it has a similar bite in the mouth and a lasting lingering floral taste.

Thanks boychik this tea is certainly beautiful to look at and I quite enjoyed it.

Beautiful review!
Lol, you and I make quite a pair… this tea reminds you of freesia sunscreen lotion, the oolong I had yesterday reminded me of Japanese Cherry Blossom hand lotion ;-)

yyz

;). Maybe they should add lotion and sunscreen to the flavour notes list!

TheTeaFairy

Haha! I can just imagine the Admin, trying to process that!

boychik

Great review. I should try your parameters;)

Well, this is really different. Thanks for sharing boychik :)

I steeped this Western style for about 2 minutes. It DOES have some really strange tongue numbing effects. I’m not getting any bitterness, but it does have a strange under-ripe veggie flavor. The liquor SMELLS really sweet though. There are some complex notes I’m having trouble identifying. I am enjoying this. And the dry leaf is really twisty and fuzzy and pretty. I’ve gotten so many beautiful teas lately, I think I want to do some artsy tea photography this weekend. Doesn’t that sound fun? :)

Cheri

That does sound fun. And I love beautiful teas. I love the look of white teas. I think they’re really pretty to look at the dry tea.

TheTeaFairy

Great idea!! I love taking pictures of tea, it’s so inspiring :-)

heaping 1TBSP 185F 150ml gaiwan
1st steep 5sec. So pale, almost colorless. Smells of chorizo (i must be hungry). not strong, but so delicious. i find nuts, sugar snap peas, hay. its very smooth. nice mouth feel, some tongue numbing ( maybe I need it,cause i talk too much)
it is delicate but flavorful.
2 steep 10sec Whoa! this is too much.its like Longjing overbrewed. very strong vegetable notes and bitter. my mouth more numb.
3rd steep 5 sec its like young sheng. bitter. i dont like it.

Western style (Lee style)
1tsp 165F 8oz 7 min
Nice white tea, not much interesting notes . just tea. How abt leaving it steeping for 30min. Its nice more Longjing not overbrewed,almost no bitterness,but some interesting cool mint showed up.

To conclude, my favorite brew was 1st gongfu style, but its kinda wasteful, because i liked only one steep. Any suggestions on how to brew successfully white tea are welcomed. maybe i should start a thread.

yyz

I usually do gongfu but with a little less leaf and a longer steep time. I normally use about 1.5 TSP / 8 0z and around 75°C. After a rinse my first steep is about 50s. The first steep is some times a little thin but I find the second and third steeps to have a nice creamy thick texture. My second and third steeps are close to 50s as well. I’ve generally enjoyed white teas this way. I modified mine from the Tao tea leaf brewing guide http://www.taotealeaf.com/blog/tea-steeping-guide/

TheTeaFairy

Interesting. I’m not a huge consumer of white tea, but I do have a few favourites, silver needles and bai mu dan white poeny mostly. I rarely do gongfu brew with whites, I brew them like I’ve been brewing some of my green teas for a while now, the David Duckler glass tumbler method, here’s the video. Note that I use the basket method, at 2min 51sec. It works every time, never a bitter cup. I brew usually with water around 70c for about a min max, sometimes even less depending of how it smells. Kind of the opposite of what Lee does, lol, that’s why I want to also try her method to see how it compares. But this works for me. (5g of tea approx. is usually my standard.)

boychik

Thank you yyz for your suggestions. I think I will try it again tomorrow. I’m curious to see what flavors will show up. I want to learn to love whites to fully appreciate sheng.

boychik

Thank you TheTeaFairy for your method of brewing whites. It’s all different. I feel like a scientist experimenting;). Luckily I got 50g so it’s plenty. Just want to say for the record that my 1st steep gongfu style was like nothing I tried before.

TheTeaFairy

I know, right? So many ways, that’s why I rarely give up on a tea I buy. In the end, it’s all about finding your own sweet spot, there’s no real rules, that’s what’s so interesting :-)
Glad you could at least experience a superb first steep!

sansnipple

I’d try lower temps, treat it like a really delicate pure-bud green (since that’s what this one basically is), like maybe 165-170

I did western 165. Tasted like water even after 7 min