2013 Yunnan Sourcing "Ye Sheng Cha" Wild Tree Purple Tea of Dehong

Pu-erh Tea
Fruity, Mineral, Roasted Barley, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by Keeta

• “The dry leaves have a thick aroma of ripe fruit and tobacco. Most are medium-large leaves in a deep purple black hue with high contrast of bright red, green, and gold leaves standing out. Initial...” Read full tasting note
    tperez 106 tasting notes
  • “This is truly a wild purple pu-erh. It was hard for me to evaluate because it is so young and strong at this juncture. It is strong, smoky, untamed. It will integrate over time I believe (the...” Read full tasting note
    javan 35 tasting notes
  • “This was an interesting tea to try. The first cup was warm and earthy, with an almost grassy hint and slightly sweet. With more brews, the sweetness dissipates to an after thought, and the grassy...” Read full tasting note
    Keeta 5 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Dehong Purple Leaf varietal

An incredibly fantastic raw Pu-erh made from Wild Pu-erh tree leaves that have a dark purple color. This 野生茶 (Wild Tea) is naturally dark in color, and is heavy in anti-oxidants and catechins.

Ye Sheng "野生“ varietal aka “Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze var. assamica (J. Masters) Kitam.” is a primeval varietal that pre-dates Camellia Sinensis var. Assamica and is a naturally occuring non hybridized varietal. It’s potency in cha qi arises from it’s unadulterated nature. It is naturally bug repellent, and grows wild in the forests of Yunnan at an altitude of 1600-2200 meters.

The quality of the leaves and the meticulous processing ensures excellent storage and aging potential. The infused liquor is bright and there is strong full taste in the mouth and a warm stimulating feel in the mouth and body after drinking this tea.

This tea brick is composed of entirely spring 2013 raw material and is from the same area as our 2012 production (400 gram cake).

Producer: Yunnan Sourcing (no branding or markings)
Vintage: Spring 2013
Production area: North-western area of Dehong county

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Initial infusions have a strong smoky quality. More of a bold “charcoal” flavor than the lapsang barbecue type. The smoke was much stronger, but has faded over the past months.

The tea brews a gold-orange color. Clean, pure, wild taste with a thick mouthfeel and a fruity aroma that stays in the mouth long after you drink it. Strong tropical fruit flavors (something I associate with purple tea) like guava, longan, and plantain. Very tangy, but also very hearty with tobacco, barley, and dark beer flavors.

The charcoal taste fades in the later steepings, and is replaced by a nice mineral quality. I’m left with strong qi feelings running along the forehead and feel strong and steady like a mountain. This isn’t my favorite tea from Yunnan Sourcing, but it is quite nice and I enjoy the unique purple tea qualities. Good bargain.

I’m really itching to place a big YS order, it’s been almost a year! I’ve been saving up money for it, but this past week the vacuum tubes in my guitar amp have gone microphonic, so it seems my tea acquisition has been set back yet again.

Flavors: Fruity, Mineral, Roasted Barley, Tobacco

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
boychik

Have you tied 2005 Wild Tree “Ye Sheng Cha” Raw Pu-erh tea brick of Dehong? i was thinking to get a sample

Cwyn

Oh yeah!!! I just ordered 5 bricks of this and it is almost gone on the US site. I really love the Wild Purple Dehong Black made from this leaf so I knew already I will like these cakes but they are in the mail and on the way to me! I got another bag of the Black since they don’t have a whole lot of it. Really glad to see a note here from someone on the brick, thanks for posting! Like and triple like!

tperez

No I haven’t, but that’s actually one of the things I was planning on ordering haha. If you get it before I do you’ll have to tell me how it is!

Cwyn

I just ordered my second bag, I’ve got a review up for it on here. Simply put, it is the best black I have ever had and I think I will ever have, and the highest score I’ve given on here to date. The smell of the liquor is actually present in the taste. I might get anxious and order more later in the year when it runs low.

tperez

I love the black tea too! Very nice and unique. I tried the standard roast Dehong which was my favorite, and the Fenqing area version which was good but more mild and floral. I’ll have to try the light roast Dehong too

Cwyn

Yeah I should go edit the tea, looks like a typo on it.

This is truly a wild purple pu-erh. It was hard for me to evaluate because it is so young and strong at this juncture. It is strong, smoky, untamed. It will integrate over time I believe (the 2012 version tasted side by side) while still a bit wild is much more integrated. Be prepared for a wild ride.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 15 OZ / 450 ML
mrmopar

The “Wu Liang Ye Sheng” they carry is a fabulous tea no bitterness at all.

This was an interesting tea to try. The first cup was warm and earthy, with an almost grassy hint and slightly sweet. With more brews, the sweetness dissipates to an after thought, and the grassy notes also fade. Some bitterness starts to appear, but is not overpowering (but I imagine you could over brew this one!)
All in all, a good tea and a fun first “real” puerh to try!