Yunnan Black Gold Spring 2014

Grain, Malt, Raisins, Stonefruits, Toasty, Yams, Floral, Toast, Baked Bread, Brown Toast, Dried Fruit, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Nicole

From Yunnan Sourcing

A traditional process one leaf / one bud ratio black tea from the high mountains of Zhenyuan in Simao prefecture. Lightly wilted the leaves still have a slight greenish color amongst the vivid brown-red color. The traditional processing gives the tea nice floral aroma and taste and allows for longer term aging. This tea can be drunk for several years, and will have noticeable changes (and improvements) for up to 2 years!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Quality Assurance check this morning…..just making sure that this tea is a good as I said it was when I drank it last week. I’m staring into the cup with disbelief, because it is as good as I said it was in my review….and it’s cheaper than other Yunnans, and it’s toasty nomilicious flavor makes me want to stuff my face in the cup and gulp…. my verdict stands. I really really like this tea. Good thing Yunnan Sourcing sends a 4 cup sample, as I still have 2 more to go and that makes me happy.

Flavors: Floral, Grain, Malt, Toast, Yams

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Cameron B.

I’ve been really impressed with all of their teas, including the cheaper ones. And I agree, this tea is nomilicious!

donkeytiara

Cameron, I’m looking for someone to swap black/red tea with….I’ve started a thread in the discussion section…. are we too much alike to swap? :)

Cameron B.

I dunno! I don’t really have any YS teas right now, just the remnants of some small samples from Nicole.

Cameron B.

That being said, if there are any black teas in my cupboard that you’d like to try, let me know! :)

This lovely tea came from Nicole. I’m almost all the way through her first package but I have since gotten a second. Lol… The dry leaves look quite “wild” to me, meaning they’re very spindly and rough. Almost like tiny tree roots! The color is mostly dark with a few golden buds mixed in. I’m not really getting a smell from the dry leaves, there’s a little bit of sweetness maybe?

The first thing I notice from the aroma is that there are very strong raisin notes. Yum! I also get other dark flavors, like malt, tobacco, and molasses. The flavor is definitely very deep and developed. I wouldn’t call it a super strong tea, but the flavors in here are all quite “dark” and intense. There’s dark, toasted bread with some honey over the top, but then there’s also a definite syrupy dried fruit note. I’m thinking raisins and dried cherries, maybe some fig in there too. Yum!

I continue to be impressed by Yunnan Sourcing, even their “lower-grade” Yunnan teas are delicious! Must order soon! :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Toast, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt, Raisins

This was the generous sample I received with my Yunnan Sourcing order.

I think this would appeal to those looking for a nice, robust malty tea.

It has malt and tart fruit ( longan, currants) in abundance, but these are supported by dark honey, spice ( cinnamon and a sweet, citrusy, spicy floral), cocoa, salted butter, and alfalfa. It has a really nice balance between the tart, sweet, bitter, and creamy notes. It has a good dose of caffeine.

The tea itself has nice resilient ( they hold up to multiple steeps) leaves, that are a long deep black brown with around 25% gold tips. They have a fresh, floral, hay like tone when dry.

This tea would make a good every day tea for those who prefer a malty tart tea!

Finally trying this tea boychik sent me a sample of. DANG this is good! Malty yunnan perfection. Thanks so much for sharing :)

boychik

Glad you like it;)

Terri HarpLady

We love our YS teas!

Stephanie

I’m a YS convert!

I entered this as a new entry since I didn’t find this with a 2014 tag on it… I hope I didn’t just miss it.

Boychik sent this my way and it is another one that I really have to order. Not as pretty as the Bi Luo Chun, but every bit as tasty. I honestly don’t recall a lot of nuances to this – I pretty much gulped it down at work over the last 2 days. It was soooo good. Everything you’d expect a Yunnan to be. So far I’m very impressed with YS’s teas.

boychik

Yay, I’m glad you like it that much;)

Nicole

I can’t hardly make my way through your samples fast enough. I want to place an order sooo badly but I don’t want to skip anything! This will be a tea weekend for sure! :)