2013 Yunnan Sourcing Autumn Ye Sheng Raw Puerh Tea

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Astringent, Campfire, Drying, Mushrooms, Pine, Tobacco, Honey, Smoked, Smoke, Sugarcane, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Dylan

From Yunnan Sourcing

Entirely “ye sheng” varietal tea from the highest reaches of the Wu Liang mountains. Growing above 2000 feet these wild tea bushes range from 50 to 200 years old.
Quite different from it’s spring counter-part which is from a different village. The autumn version is unique, with a smoky robust flavor, some bitterness in the beginning to complement it’s complex whiskey-like peat bog aroma and taste. Ye Sheng varietal continues to amaze me with it’s vast range of possible tastes and aromas!
Nice comfortable cha qi with no edge. Can be infused many times.
Pressed by stone press and wrapped in hand-made paper from Xishuangbanna!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Upon trying this tea the day after it arrived, I noticed the smokiness overwhelmed all of its other nuances. I decided to return to it in a week or so. I find the flavor of teas change in a positive way after being broken into. After brewing it again 2 weeks later I realized I was right. This time the smoke was in the background and the savory, piney, honey-like, camphor, mineral, deep forest flavors showed themselves more prominently. The leaf aroma reminded me of other quality shengs I’ve tried. This tea definitely has a rustic quality that adds to its charm. I imagine it will only improve with age as the smokiness gives way to its true nature.

This one is pretty damn good!
I am not a big fan of young sheng or any sheng really but I do try to appreciate all kinds of teas, this one is different than most sheng i’ve tried.
this one can brew up nice and dark almost like a shou or aged sheng, it is slightly sweet, smokey and just plain delicious, it will resteep over and over too.
I was impressed with this one because i honestly had no idea that it was going to brew up the way it did.
I may buy a whole cake just to have around because I can surely drink this one with ease :)
Also it has a nice energy, i really enjoy the nice way the energy of this one make me feel.
Thanks Kirk for sending me this sample.

Kirkoneill1988

you’re welcome toad :D always a pleasure to give to friends :)

This autumn version is an entirely different experience than it’s spring counter-part (as advertised). It has the taste profile of a sheng that is transitioning into a more mature, aged tea. It has seemed to have lost its greener, more smoky with floral sweetness, as other teas I’ve tried in this area. It is definitely more wild and robust, with hints of dried mushrooms and seasoned pine kindling, freshly lit. There seems to be a prevalent tobacco-likeness, midway through the sip, which transitions into a mouth drying astringency.

I’m pretty certain this is a good one for someone that likes good shou puerh and has been discouraged by typical young sheng teas and their characteristics, as this is closer to aged puerh than a sheng that is normally reflected at this age. Overall, not bad at all.

Flavors: Astringent, Campfire, Drying, Mushrooms, Pine, Tobacco

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 8 OZ / 250 ML
boychik

need to try ;)

this is an awesome tea! i have a 400g cake on the way

this tea never goes bitter if steeped in a strainer with a 250ml cup for a while. Even with 10g of the tea :D

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 10 g 8 OZ / 250 ML
Indigobloom

grandpa style! :P

Yeah you pour more water in when the pitcher is 3/4 empty

Kirkoneill1988

but this one was not done grandpa style

scribbles

I love grandpa style for roasted oolongs and dragonwell

Kirkoneill1988

scribbles did you get my messages via steepster mail system?