2014 Yunnan Sourcing Autumn Da Qing Gu Shu

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Astringent, Green Beans, Honeysuckle, Fruity, Honey, Musty, Peach, Spices, Floral, Grass, Nutmeg
Edit tea info Last updated by AllanK

From Yunnan Sourcing

Product description not available yet.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I know I just reviewed this tea but I had to comment again on the buttery mouth feel and the tart lemony bite of this superb tea. I know that for many the term young pu-erh is an oxymoron. But I think youth and age are the yin and yang of the pu-erh experience.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 130 ML

Much like an octogenarian opera singer at the opening night of High School Musical, I’m pretty sure I’m not the target audience for this one.

The dry leaf aroma is superb, and the post-session appearance of the leaves is what I imagine Michelangelo or Rodin would have done if tasked with sculpting sheng leaf out of marble. It is decently long-lived, and boasts an impressive flavor profile, though greener than I am determining I prefer.

However, this tea was not well received by my innards in its current state. In a decade, it will likely be a thing of beauty (and long sold out), but I haven’t the proper setup for the care of feeding of tea over that scale of time.

I can only imagine how robust the spring iterations of this tea are – but for my own safety, I’ll leave that knowledge purely to my imagination.

twinofmunin

diet tea: cleans ya right out!

Cwyn

2014 was a drought year and tea got fairly strong. I buy a lot of 2014 to store for posterity.

Rasseru

interesting. Theres a few 2014 teas that I like & its something rich in the flavour that I like about them

Wocket

Hmmm, I do not believe I’d had a 2014 before this… I’ll keep it in mind and see if there’s a trend!

Rasseru

Cywn, are you referring to certain areas in china or across the world,certain teas etc? can you give us the lowdown

tanluwils

Yunnan’s climate is quite unique and diverse due to its inland location, southerly latitude yet high elevation, particularly in Lincang. I imagine one would have to look at the local weather forecasts for each respective county in order to know for sure.

{NB: review from 25g sample, not whole cake}

Dry leaf – SWEET, FRUIT, HERBAL: bitter honey, honeysuckle, dill, fragrant wood/incense; in pre-heated vessel: prune, dried date and fig more prominent

Smell – WOOD, FLORAL: fragrant wood, light honeysuckle, some smokiness and ash

Taste – SWEET, GRASSY, VEGETAL, FRUIT: prominent bitter honey, green hay, fragrant wood smoke – hickory?, nice vegetal flavors of bitter green, some steamed green bean, musty. Undertones of lightly brewed English breakfast tea, dry spice (nutmeg), hints of fig and date, some ashy notes. Creamy lactose sweetness in aftertaste, prune and date flavors strong in aftertaste.

Well – there’s quite a bit going on here. For a young raw, this is very pleasant and has great flavors going on. There is some astringency, but personally, I don’t find it to be overbearing. It’s pleasant like a cup of good black coffee.

This one has me intrigued. I like the range of flavors that it offers. Additionally, it makes you burst into sweat when you drink it. I know this is a common pu’erh side effect, but this one isn’t messing around. Who knows what kind of chemical voodoo is responsible for that, but it’s fun nonetheless. Nothing like waking up on a Saturday morning and going toe-to-toe with your tea.

One final note – personally, I felt like the more interesting flavors petered out fairly quickly. I’m no expert, but I will chalk that up to the tea’s youth. However, there were several other reviews that made special mention of the longevity of this tea, but that just wasn’t my experience. Could be user error, I guess. Interestingly, I had a better experience with a clay pot (7g/160ml) than a gaiwan (4.5g/60ml), even though the gaiwan had a higher leaf:water ratio.

Anyway, my sample is gone and I simply looked forward to every session I had with this tea. Is definitely on the short list for my next pu’erh purchase.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

This was one of my first batch of YS Sheng samples, and probably my favourite.
Wet leaves smelt appetising, slightly meaty & sweet.
1st steep a bit oily, vegetal like green beans, a bit bitter, spicy wood on the finish. 2nd steep : on the nose remarkably floral, honeysuckle, Jasmine. Palate richer, sweeter, more oily. Still some astringency. I get why this rocks now. 3rd very bitter… Why? Went 5 steeps, became more balanced with vegetal notes still and more huigan. Ran out of time to fully explore this superb Sheng.
Not sure I could stretch to a whole cake now it’s $77, but would happily split one.
8g in 120ml gaiwan. 95deg C. 15s steeps

Flavors: Astringent, Green Beans, Honeysuckle

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 120 OZ / 3548 ML

a great tea:

when i smell the leaves dry, they smell musty and fruity.

when i smell the leaves wet, they have a strong fruity smell.

when i smell the brewed tea, i smell light honey and mild fruityness.

when i taste the brewed tea, i taste mild honey, mild spices and strong fruityness (peaches).

the color of the brewed tea is yellow.

i rate this tea a 90 because it is great tasting, but not as great as others i have tried.

many thanks to kittylovestea for this great sample

Flavors: Fruity, Honey, Musty, Peach, Spices

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

Okay, well, I may be easy to please, but I’d say this guy does live up to the hype. Thick, sweet, and oily, I’m not sure what else there is to ask for, especially for an autumn harvest tea. It is pungent and bitter, with notes of wild grasses and honey suckles. The first time I brewed this, I got more straight-forward fruit flavors, but for whatever reason now I’m getting the more floral complexity and musk, which is what I look for this time of the year.

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Honeysuckle, Nutmeg

jschergen

Aha. You do have it! +1 on the recommendation.

Ginkosan

haha yeah it was up next to review today. I think I have one or two more from the bag of samples.

mrmopar

Y’all are killing me , How will I explain another Yunnan Sourcing order I wonder.

boychik

I love thick oily sheng. Wish listed

Doug F

ditto.

Ginkosan

Damn you Scott for pressing a Spring flush of this cake…

tanluwils

Why is this one more popular than its spring counterpart?

Quick notes for this one. (For the time being).

Raw leaf: Sweet wood and earth scent with mild smoke. Also some creaminess in the after scent. Pure and very nice overall.

Taste: Pretty mild actually, more than I anticipated from the smell. Even after a few steeps it’s very mild. I’m using roughly 5g in 125ml and thought it would be about the right strength for me. It’s slightly sweet and creamy with some dryness.

Since this wasn’t working for me I decided to long steep it. So on my fourth steep I went straight for 1 minute 30 seconds rather than the 10-15 seconds previously. This worked much better, now it’s thick with some bitterness but the sweet and creamy tones are still present and linger nicely in the after taste with a hint of smoke. Much better than before, though the bitterness was a tad strong and is taking some getting used to.

Since it went from one to another extreme (very light to very bitter) I will not rate it this time. I still have enough left to experiment with but so far I’m not impressed. I have a feeling this one just isn’t for me, I like a strong and creamy Sheng with minimal bitterness and dryness. Oh well, worst case I can always western steep this to use it up.

boychik

This is Autumn Gushu. i suggest you to increase leaf to 7-8g if you have enough to experiment. my usual ratio is 5-6g for 80ml for gushu

Kirkoneill1988

i’m not sure if i tried this yet :/

KittyLovesTea

Thank you for the tip @boychik. I have around 20g left I believe so I shall increase the leaf amount next time.

mrmopar

You are making me want this one….

This tea is quite tasty but somewhat bitter. It was strong even until the tenth steep. I was at my caffeine limit so I stopped. This tea has given me quite the tea buzz, something I almost never get. Perhaps it is its pure character, perhaps it is high in caffeine. Wouldn’t want to drink this one at night. It was bitter in the early steeps. The bitterness largely went away by the fifth infusion. It has a nice bitter/fruity aftertaste to it. It was quite good overall. I am glad for having bought this sample and if I hadn’t just ordered from Yunnan Sourcing I would probably order a bing. As it is it will have to wait.

I steeped this ten times in a 120ml gaiwan with 9g leaf and 200 degree water. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, and 1 min.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Ginkosan

I just got a sample of this… am excited to try it now, sounds like I’ll probably like it. Autumn teas are always so hit-or-miss, sometimes they fall flat, and sometimes they are totally pure and vibrant.

AllanK

I never got around to buying this one buy it was good.