Big Snow Mountain of Mengku Black Tea Spring 2016

Fruity, Cocoa, Floral, Flowers, Spices, Thick, Apple Candy, Astringent, Creamy, Osmanthus
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

7 Images

• “Only brewed this up western style for a quick cup of tea. It is pretty tasty. It’s got a bit of a note of malt. It definitely has a fruity note to it. Not really sure which fruit best...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 1513 tasting notes
  • “Happy Labor Day everyone, I hope you are having a fantastic holiday weekend. I am not doing anything special, well Ben has off from work today so we might play some Magic, but other than that it is...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 921 tasting notes
  • “Oh man I love good black tea. This tea seems to fit that bill. The dry leaves have an intense powdered cocoa scent to it that reminds me of my childhood when I would get to make Nestle Quick at my...” Read full tasting note
    mtchyg 183 tasting notes
  • “I found this tea to be very rich and floral. Sweet and highly drinkable. Smooth from the beginning, but becoming ever smoother and more mellow with later infusions. And it does do well with many...” Read full tasting note
    Krisina 11 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

Big Snow Mountain area of Mengku in Lincang is a high alttude area that’s home to many tea gardens. This lovely black tea was processed with care from first flush of Spring 2016 assamica tea leaves picked from 30 to 40 year old plantation bushes growing naturally at an altitude of 1800 meters.

The tea brews up a deep red tea soup, with a lovely floral front-end, and smooth thick sweet after-taste. Thick and viscous tea, complex and interesting, while lasting many infusions makes this a worthwhile newcomer to our offering here at Yunnan Sourcing!

Late-March 2016 harvest

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Only brewed this up western style for a quick cup of tea. It is pretty tasty. It’s got a bit of a note of malt. It definitely has a fruity note to it. Not really sure which fruit best describes it though. I would definitely buy this again.

I steeped this one time in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and 200 degree water for 3 minutes.

Flavors: Fruity

Happy Labor Day everyone, I hope you are having a fantastic holiday weekend. I am not doing anything special, well Ben has off from work today so we might play some Magic, but other than that it is just a day without mail. I know one exciting thing I will be doing today, cooking! Making sure Ben has lunch for the week, it will be a grand event.

Today’s tea is another hong cha from Yunnan Sourcing, Big Snow Mountain of Mengku Black Tea * Spring 2016 in my ongoing quest to go all Pokemon with all the red teas. You know, there are a lot of tea blogs out there, and several of them are very single focused, usually on Puerh but also several on Greens and Oolongs, if I am not careful I could easily become a blog dedicated to the world of reds, so I have to limit myself a little…only a little though. So, first with the sniffing, and what good sniffing it is! It is both light and rich, not one of those red teas that smacks you in the face with a bar of chocolate and pile of malt, this is subtle caramel peanut brittle, gentle malt, subtle mineral notes, and a bit of a fresh woodsy quality, like someone snapped an oak twig next to my nose, but one that has gone dry rather than being green. Recently dry, not soggy and rotting.

Oh hey! A peppery red! It seems like the last couple of year’s Dian Hongs have been lacking in the pepper department, so it is nice to run into one with that note. Alongside the pepper is a stronger note of malt, some sweet molasses, and a nice undertone of peanuts. The aroma of the first steep is lovely, very ‘Dian Hong’ with notes of toasted peanuts, malt, molasses, and sweet caramel. I was a little surprised I could not detect any yammy goodness, but not all teas have the orange tuber as a note.

Well hello mouthfeel! This one is not so much smooth as it is slippery, like thinned down okra and that is super fun, it is like a slip and slide in my mouth but with tea! It starts with this smooth slippery quality, but by the time I have swallowed it the texture turns to a more familiar thickness. The taste is delightfully sweet, starting with honey and caramel and moving to malt and sweet potatoes with a finish of peanuts and a touch of very distant roses.

The second steep brings in a fascinating change, distant notes of patchouli and myrrh in the aroma along with the sweet caramel and molasses, I love when tea gets that resinous quality (though technically patchouli is leafy, but shh.) The slippery quality of the first steep is replaced by thick smoothness that sticks around the full steep. The taste has a tangy woody cocoa shell quality that blends really well with a sweet potato and molasses middle. The finish is gentle resinous myrrh and a lingering aftertaste of caramel coated peanuts, yum!

Did I go for a steep three? You betcha, I also went for a steep nine but I won’t bore you all with the details in the middle. This tea does not really change a lot between steep two and the inevitable finish, but this is not a bad thing since when it reaches its stride the stride tastes lovely. I really liked how it could be a solid daily drinker or a special occasion tea and plan on adding more to my collection.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/09/yunnan-sourcing-big-snow-mountain-of.html

Oh man I love good black tea. This tea seems to fit that bill. The dry leaves have an intense powdered cocoa scent to it that reminds me of my childhood when I would get to make Nestle Quick at my grandma’s. I would pull out that yellow container with the goofy rabbit(if I’m not mistaken) and that chocolatey scent would waft up. This has a lot of that going on. Scents that invoke memories are my favorite.

The flavor is much of the same. Cocoa goodness. I’m not one to add milk to my teas. I don’t generally drink cows milk. I go for almond and coconut milk due to them being easier on my tummy. So, for me, I find they don’t translate as well to tea as cows milk. But back to what I was speaking to. I don’t normally add milk to my teas but this tea makes me curious as to what kind of sweet chocolate flavor I could coax out of it by adding some creaminess to it. Hmm…

Ok, I am back. I added some milk. It definitely makes it creamier but I’m not seeing that it made it MORE cocoa-licious. Yup, just used that “word.” Maybe some milk with HONEY! Hmm…

Ok, back again. I made a last minute strategical decision and put some granulated sugar in there instead of honey. Pretty good actually. Tested it on the kids and they both said it was yummy. My 9 year old asked if I had anymore for her to drink.

And because I’m a scientist at heart (and because I made a big pot of this), I HAVE to try it with milk and honey. I’ll report my findings in a moment…

I’m really glad I’m curious and like to experiment. The honey and milk got me there. THIS is the flavor I thought could come out with some creamy sweetness. Hot damn that is good. Now we have a problem though… I know how good it is to add those things but I also know how not good for me it is to add those things… To be so lucky to have problems such as these.

Conclusion: This tea is mighty fine anyway you serve it up.

Flavors: Cocoa

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

I found this tea to be very rich and floral. Sweet and highly drinkable. Smooth from the beginning, but becoming ever smoother and more mellow with later infusions. And it does do well with many infusions— the first few were much more robust, and then it tapers off and other flavors become more apparent. Brewed gong fu cha style, ten second wash then over ten infusions starting with 10 seconds and the longest being about 40 . . Yum!

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Spices, Thick

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 45 sec 5 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

The bag opens up with a strong distinct fruit smell – like walking in an apricot grove.

Tea is smooth, and goes down quickly and easily. A great summer tea.

I love this tea so much. Floral and sweet, but long lasting taste. I am biased because I chose this tea to offer through my website!

Flavors: Apple Candy, Astringent, Creamy, Floral, Osmanthus

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 45 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
JC

Best type of bias if you ask me! LOL

Yunnan Sourcing

I can’t seem to fix the image associated with this tea… someone uploaded the wrong image, and even though I uploaded the correct one it’s still not the default image…. arrggh. ;-)

JC

LOL. I tried myself tool. Must be a hiccup in the system. Try later if not I can try later to see if it works for me.

mrmopar

Link me the image and I will try to update it.

mrmopar

Check and see if that is the one you wanted.

Yunnan Sourcing

@mrmopar – You rock… is there a secret to it?

mrmopar

Log enough in the data base you get learned up fast.

JC

@mrmopar Thanks man. Sorry I couldn’t reply to your message earlier.