Naturally Grown Kabusecha by Farmer Shinichi Kihara

Green Tea
Green Tea, Green Tea Leaves, Organic Full Leaf Green Tea, Premium Green Teas
Butter, Butternut Squash, Grass, Spinach
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

4 Images

• “So, second steep, a mere 10 seconds. See, I knew my tastebuds would start to change their ideas pretty quick - (I wish they'd do that with olives, I really would like to like olives...). The...” Read full tasting note
    beeblebear 17 tasting notes
  • “The dry tea leaves are rich dark green, needle shaped and have a heavy grassy smell with a pleasant sweetness for me. The Liquor varies depending the infusion between dark golden toned and greeny...” Read full tasting note
    Oca Ocani 12 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! (141) Damn it, the number keeps going up! :P I suppose that's what I get for going on hiatus when I still have a couple of orders on the way. Thankfully, I only have one more incoming,...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 827 tasting notes

From Yunomius

Kabusecha, sometimes called Kabuse Sencha, is a tea that is shaded for approximately two weeks. Shading the tea leaves cuts out the sunlight that reaches the plant and forces the plant to retain more L-theanine (creating the savory umami flavor), and reduces catechins (the antioxidant which produces astringency). This results in a balanced tea that is rich and savory.

INFO: https://yunomi.us/shop/7006/kihara-1-naturally-grown-kabusecha/

Kabusecha was most often used as a blender — combined with sencha to increase the quality of a large volume of sencha, or with gyokuro (tea shaded for approximately 3 weeks) to increase the quantity of gyokuro. Recently, it is sold by itself as more farmers attempt to create unique products for the market.

Tea farmer Shinichi Kihara inherited his farm from his father and follows an agricultural philosophy that prohibits the use of fertilizer and pesticides (synthetic, natural, organic or otherwise). This type of agricultural, called Shumei Natural Agriculture, aims to produce food that is as natural as possible.

FLAVOR GUIDE

SAVORINESS (umami)
★★★★★
SWEETNESS (amami)
★★★★★
ASTRINGENCY (shibumi)
BREWED LEAVES
After steeping 3-4 times, the used leaves will be soft and can be eaten as a salad.

About Yunomius View company

So, second steep, a mere 10 seconds. See, I knew my tastebuds would start to change their ideas pretty quick – (I wish they’d do that with olives, I really would like to like olives…).

The smell is still not really my, erm, cup of tea, but the taste is really growing on me. All the positive things you would expect from something that still does remind me an awful lot of spinach. A zinc tang, an earthiness. And it’s really green.

Not my favourite yet, but I did rather enjoy that.

The Liquor varies depending the infusion between dark golden toned and greeny yellow and is a little cloudy.
This Kabusecha has a balanced flavor of vegetal and grassy flavors, which is accompanied all the while by a sweetness.
4-5 Infusions were possible
Steeping time between 30 sec and 2 min

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 30 sec 5 g 6 OZ / 180 ML

Sipdown! (141)

Damn it, the number keeps going up! :P I suppose that’s what I get for going on hiatus when I still have a couple of orders on the way. Thankfully, I only have one more incoming, but it’s going to be +8 to my cupboard. Waaaaah…

I have really grown rather attached to this tea. I find that a moment comes fairly often when, either because of an overfull tummy or too much indulging, I want a nice fresh green tea. And this one does the trick! It’s mild, it’s sweet, and it has that lovely classic spinachy vegetal flavor. I will definitely be considering this for purchase once I’ve whittled my cupboard down. :)

Cheri

sounds like a YUMMMMMMY tea

Cameron B.

Very yummy! If you like sencha, of course. :D

Christina

I may get a sample of this when I make my next order with Yunomi.us