Naturally Grown Kabusecha by Farmer Shinichi Kihara

Green Tea
Green Tea, Green Tea Leaves, Organic Full Leaf Green Tea, Premium Green Teas
Butter, Butternut Squash, Grass, Spinach
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

4 Images

• “So, second steep, a mere 10 seconds. See, I knew my tastebuds would start to change their ideas pretty quick - (I wish they'd do that with olives, I really would like to like olives...). The...” Read full tasting note
    beeblebear 17 tasting notes
  • “Need to get back into these Japanese green samples I haven't tried! Feeling like a nice mellow green after having several cups of black this morning. This is my first kabusecha, which is a green...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 221 tasting notes

From Yunomius

Kabusecha, sometimes called Kabuse Sencha, is a tea that is shaded for approximately two weeks. Shading the tea leaves cuts out the sunlight that reaches the plant and forces the plant to retain more L-theanine (creating the savory umami flavor), and reduces catechins (the antioxidant which produces astringency). This results in a balanced tea that is rich and savory.

INFO: https://yunomi.us/shop/7006/kihara-1-naturally-grown-kabusecha/

Kabusecha was most often used as a blender — combined with sencha to increase the quality of a large volume of sencha, or with gyokuro (tea shaded for approximately 3 weeks) to increase the quantity of gyokuro. Recently, it is sold by itself as more farmers attempt to create unique products for the market.

Tea farmer Shinichi Kihara inherited his farm from his father and follows an agricultural philosophy that prohibits the use of fertilizer and pesticides (synthetic, natural, organic or otherwise). This type of agricultural, called Shumei Natural Agriculture, aims to produce food that is as natural as possible.

FLAVOR GUIDE

SAVORINESS (umami)
★★★★★
SWEETNESS (amami)
★★★★★
ASTRINGENCY (shibumi)
BREWED LEAVES
After steeping 3-4 times, the used leaves will be soft and can be eaten as a salad.

About Yunomius View company

So, second steep, a mere 10 seconds. See, I knew my tastebuds would start to change their ideas pretty quick – (I wish they’d do that with olives, I really would like to like olives…).

The smell is still not really my, erm, cup of tea, but the taste is really growing on me. All the positive things you would expect from something that still does remind me an awful lot of spinach. A zinc tang, an earthiness. And it’s really green.

Not my favourite yet, but I did rather enjoy that.

Need to get back into these Japanese green samples I haven’t tried! Feeling like a nice mellow green after having several cups of black this morning. This is my first kabusecha, which is a green tea that has been shaded for a short time before picking. This tea was shaded for two weeks according to the website. The leaves look and smell like sencha, though they are maybe a little bit of a richer green color.

This tea is actually surprisingly light, and I am enjoying it a lot. It has the same butternut squash, spinach, and grass notes as other senchas. There is a definite creamy buttery quality to this though, and it’s quite mellow and smooth. Quite tasty, thanks Yunomi! I would absolutely drink this as an everyday green tea, and this may have to be a reorder.

Flavors: Butter, Butternut Squash, Grass, Spinach