Kurihara Heritage Gyokuro

Green Tea
Nectar, Smooth, Sweet, warm grass, Umami, Vegetal, Cut grass, Seaweed, Butternut Squash, Creamy, Nuts, Roasted nuts, Spinach, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Thick, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by ian @ YUNOMI

From Yunomius

Gyokuro tea is grown beneath shading, cutting out some 85% of the sunlight. This allows the leaves to mature without obtaining bitterness. The results is an ultra delicate green tea with an extremely sweet taste profile.

Our Heritage Gyokuro is grown beneath traditional, handmade bamboo and/or straw shading. The moisture that drips from this natural shading flavors the tea — a return to the past with this gourmet tea.

About Yunomius View company

Another tea from the Here’s Hoping TTB.
It’s been awhile since I had a Gyokuro. I do enjoy them. It’s a very pale infusion, a very sweet spring green color. The tea is like a thin Matcha, very green & delicious.

Somewhat sweet but still brothy, too! This is very delicious! I’ve noticed it can get grassier tasting if infused for longer than a minute. On the other hand 2nd infusions and possible 3rd infusions are somewhat lemony…which I enjoyed, too! A versatile cuppa. Yum!

Stephanie

Oh cool! I’ve got some on the way…can’t wait to try it :)

Sipdown (120)! I used up the last of this leaf in a cold brew since I don’t really drink too much hot tea these days. I left it in the fridge for about 9-10 hours, which in hindsight was probably too long because there was a bit of bitterness to it that I feel could have been avoided. The tea was grassy and savory, much like the hot version of the tea. I think I actually prefer it hot, but it was nice to try out as a cold brew.

I got some lovely samples from Yunomi yesterday. decided to celebrate by first week of work at new job with a Shiboridashi of gyokuro.
The first infusion I did at 120* F for 30 seconds, It was light flavorless and only slightly green.
The second infusion I did around 140* for 30 seconds to a minute. This one reminded me of the Fuka sae midori from o-cha.
Third infusion was around 140-150* and i think I did 1 minute. Tasted like a kabusecha but grassier, and no strong cucumber peel flavor. Very well rounded. super green in color.
Fourth infusion probably 140-150* very green in color. and very sweet like powdered sugar.
I got 5 and 6th infusions but they were more sweet and weak green flavored.

I still have some left and will try another round of brewing. I probably made some mistakes with this first round, but all in all it is good and the flavor changes were both surprising and lovely.

In general most of the infusions were very sweet, no astringency.
Later note: I took the used tea leaves and tried to eat one. the flavor was over powering. Next time I will use the leftover infused leaves to make fridge green tea. or maybe mix with rice.

SenchaMatcha

I also should specify that I brewed it at half strength.
I have a 3.5 oz shiboridashi and I used only one teaspoon of Gyo.
Next time I will measure the water so that I am using the recommended ratios. I just didn’t want to use all of my sample gyo the first go around.

The color, the aroma, the brewing, the expansion, the vibrant leaf in the water, the smooth taste, the fine texture, the unexpected mellow brew… the experience.

This is one fine tea that provides a tea worthy to be called gyokuro. Many gyokuros that I have drank are too similar to a sencha, but this tea is a much higher quality and I am glad I chose it out of all the teas that could have been obtained instead.

Don’t let the light color of this teas liquid fool you, it provides a clean taste of Japanese shade grown tea that provides a wonderful aroma that expands inside your mouth as you sip on it.

This was my sample given to me by Yunomi in my recent present.

I open the package to reveal small forest emerald shards. The dry leaves invoke my senses with spring time jungles. The sweet buttery smell of fresh flora waft in the air. I already know that this tea is going to be delicious. The scent was a beautiful arrangement of everything Gyokuro.

I brewed in my new Bizenware Kyusu (also courtesy of Yunomi) with the cups to match. When brewing shade grown green tea, I am always careful of steeping time and temperature. The water hit these gorgeous leaves and the aroma began. The jungle scent maximized into a fantastic aroma. I could smell a strong vegetal scent with undertones of nectar and kale. I wanted this to last, ahahah.

The first sip was heavenly. It had a strong Umami and increasingly flavorful. The initial taste was smooth and vegetal. It tasted as a buttery flower. The flavor was invigorating and oh so silky. I could taste the harvest and the fields of Fukuoka. The flavor continued consistent and bright. The liquor was a pale iridescent green. It looked as a polished tourmaline in the sunshine.

This is an astonishing Gyokuro, and I am very greatly to be able to sample it.

P.S. I ate the leaves afterwards, very nice tea salad ;)

Flavors: Nectar, Smooth, Sweet, warm grass, Umami, Vegetal

165 °F / 73 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

Backlog – Some of the gyokuro teas and good but just a bit too rich for everyday. I also find the brewing method a bit complex and easy to mess up. I don’t like brewing tea at such a low temperature (even for the first infusion) because I like my teas hot. So I decided I was going to use the sencha brewing guide to brew this gyokuro and see how I like it. I loved it!

It was sweet, grassy, vegetal,seaweed, good umami. I found seaweed was strong but not overly so like in some gyokuro’s . Definitely stronger than a sencha. It was a beautiful emerald green in the cup. I got 3 infusions from it and I think I could have got a bit more at the time but was too busy. I would consider ordering more of this.

Flavors: Cut grass, Seaweed, Umami, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

From Cameron B in a swap!

Brewed with a shudei kyusu. 1st infusion: 160 degrees, 45 seconds. 2nd and 3rd: 170, 30 seconds.

I love the color of the wet leaf – such a deep yet vibrant green! This gyokuro has a citrusy dry aroma. The wet aroma smells of the spinach, almost sugary. The liquor is bright green, full-bodied, thick-textured, and very sweet. The first and third infusions are buttery with a spinach note, and the second tastes more like squash with the slightest hint of bitterness (the good kind).

A good quality gyokuro, but it’s too sweet for me. Thanks for giving me a chance to try it, Cameron B!

1 tsp 3 OZ / 88 ML
Stephanie

yum yum yum

Cameron B.

Yours in on the way, Steph! :D

KiwiDelight

lol enjoy :)

This is my second free “press” sample from Yunomi.us last month (I just got an email telling me that my free samples for this month shipped, yay). I’m just going to say it, I don’t have much experience with gyokuro and the last one I tried was a bit too much for me. But onward we go, for science! The leaves of this tea are quite thin and lightweight, and almost needle-like in shape. Their color is a rich jewel-tone evergreen. Dry scent is strongly sweet and vegetal, and almost fruity (pineapple?). I steeped a level teaspoon at 160 degrees for 2 minutes.

Once steeped, the tea has a strong and intense vegetal aroma, with a lovely mixture of sweet and savory tones and a touch of seaweed. Oh wow, I was blown away at first sip! This tea is so amazingly sweet and smooth, and super creamy in texture. Drinking this reminds me of eating a nice hearty, thick soup. The vegetal flavor is deep and luscious, and a mixture of mild steamed greens and silky butternut squash or sweet potato puree. There’s also a lovely rich nutty flavor here, definitely with a touch of roast. It’s a decadent nut, like macadamia or cashew. So delicious and satisfying!

Flavors: Butternut Squash, Creamy, Nuts, Roasted nuts, Smooth, Spinach, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Thick

TeaBrat

it’s been ages since I’ve had a gyokuro. they are wonderful!

Cameron B.

Very delicious, I wish they weren’t so expensive. :(

Tealizzy

Wow! That sounds delicious and I’m not even a big green tea person!

Finally prepared this correctly. Nicely sweet, robust, and vegetal.

Then I ate it… with teriyaki sauce…

Proof:

boychik

Omg I didn’t know you can it

Tea Pet

Yeah! It’s really good. Non-vegans use ponzu sauce and apparently that tastes great too! You just have to be sure to have made three or so infusions of tea before eating the leaves.