Kuwacha Sencha – Mulberry Leaf Tea

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by ian @ Yunomi.us

• “Backlog: A very unique sort of tisane, at least for me. I think it was a first for me ... the first time I've had a tisane comprised of just mulberry leaves. It's nice though. Sweet fruity...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4323 tasting notes
  • “This was a really interesting tea. Mulberry leaf tea is supposedly very similar to sencha, but without the caffeine. The process of making this tea is the same as well as the preparation. Heck,...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1017 tasting notes
  • “This really does taste a lot like sencha--or even matcha, with less of a bite. It's mellower and more buttery than a real Japanese green, but it's got that freshly mown lawn note down. It's very...” Read full tasting note
    greenteafairy 198 tasting notes

From Yunomius

Rare Japanese mulberry tea, or kuwacha (桑茶), is very similar to a light sencha without the caffeine.

This tea (or more accurately, tisane) was made with leaves grown without the use of chemical pesticides or fertilizers in the area between Kesennuma and Minami-sanriku in Iwate Prefecture. A rich but delicate sencha-like tea but without the caffeine, enjoy kuwacha mulberry tea straight or with milk.

Kuwacha, like sencha (Japanese green tea), can be prepared in a teapot.

About Yunomius View company

Backlog:

A very unique sort of tisane, at least for me. I think it was a first for me … the first time I’ve had a tisane comprised of just mulberry leaves. It’s nice though.

Sweet fruity tones with leafy/grassy notes. Vaguely reminiscent of a sencha, actually. A very surprising tisane.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/08/28/yunomi-monthly-mystery-tea-samplers-club-kesennuma-kuwacha-sencha-mulberry-leaf-tea/

This was a really interesting tea.

Mulberry leaf tea is supposedly very similar to sencha, but without the caffeine. The process of making this tea is the same as well as the preparation. Heck, the appearance looks similar (I could be fooled this was a gyokuro) but smells slightly olivey.

Anyways, I found if sencha was a raw vegetable, mulberry leaf tea would be the sencha cooked. The tea is grassy, savory, buttery, with cooked green bean and squash notes. But unlike sencha, this tea isn’t crisp and fresh. It’s different yet similar at the same time.

Cool, interest and practical factor of this tea is high for me, but on a taste level for me, meh. I like tea tasting fresh and crisp. But don’t let that stop you from trying a mulberry leaf tea – it is sooo different than what caffeine free teas that are more popular like rooibos and herbals.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/2013/08/26/kuwacha-sencha-mulberry-leaf-from-kesennuma-kuwacha-eitoku-via-yunomi-tea-review/

This really does taste a lot like sencha—or even matcha, with less of a bite. It’s mellower and more buttery than a real Japanese green, but it’s got that freshly mown lawn note down. It’s very different from other herbals I’ve tried. Thanks for the sample, Nicole_Martin!