Obubu Tea #12: Houijcha (Dark Roast)

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by ian @ Yunomi.us

• “Previously, I had only thought to cold brew my fruity teas, but since I have so much of this particular houjicha (and houjichas in general), I figured why not try it as a cold brew? It maintained...” Read full tasting note
    jennkay19 488 tasting notes
  • “I'm still not completely sold on houjichas, but I was surprised by how dark the brew was when I finished steeping. It was a deep, dark umber. A cool brown, not a warm welcoming one. The taste was...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 532 tasting notes

From Yunomius

Roasted green tea, or Houjicha, is unlike any green tea you’ve tasted before. With a smooth, smoky flavor that is simultaneously light and sweet, houjicha has none of the bitterness of traditional green teas.

About Yunomius View company

Previously, I had only thought to cold brew my fruity teas, but since I have so much of this particular houjicha (and houjichas in general), I figured why not try it as a cold brew? It maintained the same dried anchovy and roasted almost smoky taste as it does when it is hot, yet something about having it as an iced tea made it seem more refreshing. I’m thinking that less smokier houjichas will probably fare better, so I may use up some of my dwindling samples of other houjichas to experiment with cold brewing. Yay, I’m excited! :)

Iced

I’m still not completely sold on houjichas, but I was surprised by how dark the brew was when I finished steeping. It was a deep, dark umber. A cool brown, not a warm welcoming one.

The taste was fairly similar to the other Obubu houjichas I sampled, but that’s ok. Woody, roasty, smoky, somewhat “curly”. Just need to make a few more pots of this to finish it off.

Cheri

“curly”…… This made me smile.

Christina

I wish I knew a better way to describe that sensation. Not quite astringent, but similar.