Chakouan #12: Ureshino Kamairicha

Edit tea info Last updated by KittyLovesTea
175 °F / 79 °C

1 Tasting Note View all

From Yunomius

Kamairicha (literally pan-fired tea) is a type of tea that is made by skipping the steaming process and freshly picked leaves are roasted and rolled, a method introduced from China in 15-16th century. Oolong tea and many other Chinese teas are processed in this way. Ureshino in Saga Prefecture is said to be the first region in which this kamairi method was introduced and therefore is often produced in Kyushu.

About Yunomius View company

1 Tasting Note

I decided to take another trip to Japan this afternoon by sampling this Ureshino Kamairicha. I believe this was part of a Monthly Club package tea but it is possible it was a gift for placing an order. Either way I have a sample and intend to sample it’s delights.

The tea is small and rather finely chopped and the leaves are dark green with some stem. It has a sweet yet mineral, green scent, the more I sniff the sweeter it becomes and also more floral, similar to honey suckle and sweet grass.

Following Yunomi steeping instructions:
Serves: One person
Water amount: 1 tea cup / 6 oz / 180 ml
Water temperature: 80C
Tea leaves amount: 5 grams

First Steep (Issen Me – as I am learning Japanese)
30 second infusion
The tea ‘soup’ is yellow green (resembling yellow Jade) and has a sweet yet buttery grass scent. Flavour is very buttery and grassy with some sweetness and a floral after taste. Has a little astringency but at a nice level. Very sweet grass still and with a dry after taste.

Second Steep (Nisen Me)
10 second infusion
Very flavourful for only ten seconds, in fact I think it would have been too astringent if it were any longer. Still buttery and like sweet grass but the dryness has increased though it’s still at a satisfactory level. Also has elements of hay.

Third Steep (Sansen Me)
30 second infusion
An increase in the astringency though it still remains sweet, enough to be pleasant still. Again the dryness has increased also.

It was a nice green tea but if I’m honest it was not unique and I’m afraid I would forget it easily. I am happy to have tried it but it’s not a tea that I would re-stock.

175 °F / 79 °C