Yamane-en: Hokkaido Dattan Sobacha

Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Christina / BooksandTea
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 10 g 9 oz / 260 ml

From Yunomius

100% Japan (Hokkaido) grown, pesticide-free dattan sobacha (Tartary buckwheat tea)!

Sobacha tea is roasted buckwheat tea. This specific sobacha is made from dattan soba (tartary buckwheat, also known as bitter buckwheat) grown in Shibetsu city of Hokkaido and contains 100 times the amount of rutin (1500mg / 100g) compared to common buckwheat. Roasty flavor of sobacha is caffeine-free and is recommended to be drank at any time of the day. It can be used as your salad topping!

Compared to the Aomori-grown Dattan Sobacha, the Hokkaido sobacha has a much stronger buckwheat flavor with hints of roasted nuts, and is softer in texture (if you plan to eat it).

About Yunomius View company

This sample came from Christina. Thanks Christina!

This tea is full of a nutty, grainy goodness. There’s a bit of roasty flavour to it too but it seems to me that this is a bit less roasted flavour than other buckwheat teas I’ve had. I’m really not sure about that and would have to try them side by side to determine.

Anyway, greatly enjoyed this cup. It comes at a great time when the weather is cooling down. I haven’t had any desire to have buckwheat tea during the hot summer days. Somehow it just loses it’s charm when I have it during a warm or hot day. Just like hot chocolate, this tea is best on cold days. The colder the better. It really warms you up inside and makes you feel cozy.

Flavors: Grain, Nutty, Roasted nuts

Boiling 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TeaExplorer

Never has soba cha, but I’m a big fan of soba noodles. Sounds like I will have to try this.

OH MY STARS. Thank you, Christina!!! Thank you SO MUCH.

SO GOOD. It’s toasted cereal breadness delicious tastiness. I added a little maple sugar, because why not.

I like this so much. So, so much. :D

Thanks for sharing!

boychik

Did you eat it?

OMGsrsly

Not yet! I should, right? AND eat some peanut butter, because all the notes talk about the delicious peanut-ness of it.

OMGsrsly

OK that was pretty good! Not 100% sure about the texture, but the flavour was nice. And also this tea is excellent with a spoonful of peanut butter on the side. :D

ALL MY COMMENTS DISAPPEARED

OMGsrsly

And they’re back. WHEW drama. Ok. Time to step away from the computer. Now that there’s peanut butter on the keyboard of course.

boychik

Is it similar to regular buckwheat ? I have some fr YS but still haven’t tried.

Christina / BooksandTea

I _know-! It’s fucking delicious. Sometimes what I do is take the leftover buckwheat grains and have them with some yogurt for breakfast the following morning.

sounds delicious…

Plunkybug

Intriguing! I had to go to the listing to see what this was all about. I don’t know if I have ever had a buckwheat tea before. I do like buckwheat though.

OMGsrsly

I have no idea if this is similar to other buckwheat teas. It’s just really really good! I went thread shopping today (yes, thread shopping, for hand sewing) and ended up at 3 different asian markets and none of them had sobacha. They had roasted corn tea, and roasted barley tea. I wasn’t curious enough to try the corn though.

This is basically just delicious toasted grains. Really toasty and warm and bread-like.

This is the second sobacha that I got a free sample of last month. This is the same type of buckwheat, but it’s grown in the Hokkaido prefecture, which is the entire northern island of Japan. I can actually see a big difference in the grains – they’re larger and much more variable in size, and they’re almost all whole. According to the product page, this sobacha has a stronger buckwheat flavor than the Aomori version. Dry scent is very similar, roasty peanuts.

The steeped tea smells very similar as well – it’s very nutty, specifically peanutty with a lot of roasted notes. Whoa, I can see what they meant by stronger buckwheat flavor. This one definitely packs more of a roasted punch than the other, but the actual flavors are very similar. I get the same taste of roasted peanut butter (though the roast is stronger here) and it’s quite creamy as well. Yum, such intense flavor and so delicious!

Edit: OMG, I just realized what this reminds me of! It tastes exactly like Corn Nuts! I don’t know if any of you have had those, but they’re basically roasted/deep fried corn kernels.

Flavors: Creamy, Peanut, Roasted, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Anlina

I love Corn Nuts!

Stephanie

Hey sounds great!

The second the boiling water hit this, intense aromas of peanut butter wafted through the air. I literally exclaimed “oh yum!” out loud. I love peanut butter, but try to resist it because I could probably eat a whole jar, and that’s not good, haha. The aroma of the tisane once its been strained is less peanut butter-y but still roasty, toasty, nutty mouthwatering goodness. I tried it first unsweetened, and it tasted like delicious roasted peanuts. Then I thought that maybe sweetening it will make it more peanut butter like. Once I added some stevia and took a sip. Wow, there’s the peanut butter! I would believe you if you said that this was a peanut butter flavored genmaicha or something. This is so good. I can’t get over it. And surely drinking this is better than eating a jar (or two) of peanut butter right?

Oh, and it resteeps well! I’m on my 3rd steep with no loss of flavor. I’m so glad Yunomius sent this in my press samples, it something I never would have thought about trying myself, and yet now its something I can see myself drinking regularly.

Flavors: Peanut, Roasted nuts

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I finally get to try another of this tisane type, hurray! It smells so good- like toasted brown rice cakes. The flavour has is a bit roast nutty. Went well with my Thai soup.

Flavors: Nuts

Since I have a bunch of buckwheat from YS, I have less incentive to hoard this now. And it’s tasty – cozy, toasty, nutty. I’ll see if I can get a second steep out of this.

But otherwise, let me tell you about this awesome soup I just made that I’ll have for lunch over the next few days:

- 2 big carrots
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 red onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger (very thick)
- curry paste
- salt, olive oil
- herbs and spices (whatever works for you)
- cream
- chicken broth

1. Take the cauliflower, squash, and carrots, and cut them into medium-sized chunks/florets. Drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, along with whatever herbs/spices you have on hand (eg: sage, oregano, garlic powder, whatever).
2. Toss the veggies, oil and spices together to coat, then roast them in a 375°F oven for 50 minutes or so. Make sure to give them a stir every often so they don’t burn.
3. A few minutes before the veggies are done roasting, chop a red onion and finely dice/grate the ginger and garlic.
4. Heat a large soup-pot, put some olive oil in it, and then add the garlic, ginger, and onion. Let them saute for a few minutes and add some salt and pepper to the pot.
5. Once the onions start to brown, add the curry paste (2-4 Tbsp) and stir it all together. If things are clumping up or sticking to the bottom of the pan, add some liquid to deglaze.
6. At this point, the roasted veggies should be done roasting and have had some time to cool outside of the oven. Take those veggies and chuck them into the soup-pot, and give them a stir so they can get coated in the onions and curry paste.
7. Now add the chicken broth in (I dunno, 4-6 cups? I didn’t measure). Let the whole thing boil for about 15 minutes. You can taste the broth as it’s cooking to adjust the seasonings as necessary.
8. After it’s done boiling, turn the heat off and get out an immersion blender (stick blender). Then start blending like crazy until it’s a puree. It doesn’t have to be velvety smooth, but it should definitely be a puree.
9. Now add the cream (1 used a small 1-cup carton of 10% cream) to finish it off.

Then eat it!

Fucking delicious, yo. I’m going to really enjoy lunch tomorrow.

Evol Ving Ness

This sounds fab! Saving. And bon appetit!

So funny, my other half made potato leek soup last night as well!

Ubacat

Sounds great. I don’t eat dairy and so rarely make puree soups but I could add coconut cream to that for a Thai flavour.

Christina / BooksandTea

Ubacat: Coconut milk sounds like it would be a great addition.

Surprisingly, the crucial ingredient appears to be the cauliflower, which I’m otherwise not a huge fan of. When I’ve made similar soup in the past without cauliflower, it was far too sweet. The cauliflower adds in a lot of depth and savouriness.

__Morgana__