Yamane-en: Hokkaido Dattan Sobacha

Creamy, Peanut, Roasted, Sweet, Roasted nuts, Nuts
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Christina
Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 10 g 9 oz / 275 ml

• “This is the second sobacha that I got a free sample of last month. This is the same type of buckwheat, but it's grown in the Hokkaido prefecture, which is the entire northern island of Japan. I...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 827 tasting notes
  • “The second the boiling water hit this, intense aromas of peanut butter wafted through the air. I literally exclaimed "oh yum!" out loud. I love peanut butter, but try to resist it because I could...” Read full tasting note
    Mandyyyy 294 tasting notes
  • “I finally get to try another of this tisane type, hurray! It smells so good- like toasted brown rice cakes. The flavour has is a bit roast nutty. Went well with my Thai soup.” Read full tasting note
    Lariel 461 tasting notes
  • “Hey Steepsterites! Remember when I said a while back on the forums that I would start reviewing tea on my blog, with a twist of comparing tea to fictional characters? Well, my first review is up,...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 569 tasting notes

From Yunomius

100% Japan (Hokkaido) grown, pesticide-free dattan sobacha (Tartary buckwheat tea)!

Sobacha tea is roasted buckwheat tea. This specific sobacha is made from dattan soba (tartary buckwheat, also known as bitter buckwheat) grown in Shibetsu city of Hokkaido and contains 100 times the amount of rutin (1500mg / 100g) compared to common buckwheat. Roasty flavor of sobacha is caffeine-free and is recommended to be drank at any time of the day. It can be used as your salad topping!

Compared to the Aomori-grown Dattan Sobacha, the Hokkaido sobacha has a much stronger buckwheat flavor with hints of roasted nuts, and is softer in texture (if you plan to eat it).

About Yunomius View company

This is the second sobacha that I got a free sample of last month. This is the same type of buckwheat, but it’s grown in the Hokkaido prefecture, which is the entire northern island of Japan. I can actually see a big difference in the grains – they’re larger and much more variable in size, and they’re almost all whole. According to the product page, this sobacha has a stronger buckwheat flavor than the Aomori version. Dry scent is very similar, roasty peanuts.

The steeped tea smells very similar as well – it’s very nutty, specifically peanutty with a lot of roasted notes. Whoa, I can see what they meant by stronger buckwheat flavor. This one definitely packs more of a roasted punch than the other, but the actual flavors are very similar. I get the same taste of roasted peanut butter (though the roast is stronger here) and it’s quite creamy as well. Yum, such intense flavor and so delicious!

Edit: OMG, I just realized what this reminds me of! It tastes exactly like Corn Nuts! I don’t know if any of you have had those, but they’re basically roasted/deep fried corn kernels.

Flavors: Creamy, Peanut, Roasted, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Anlina

I love Corn Nuts!

Stephanie

Hey sounds great!

The second the boiling water hit this, intense aromas of peanut butter wafted through the air. I literally exclaimed “oh yum!” out loud. I love peanut butter, but try to resist it because I could probably eat a whole jar, and that’s not good, haha. The aroma of the tisane once its been strained is less peanut butter-y but still roasty, toasty, nutty mouthwatering goodness. I tried it first unsweetened, and it tasted like delicious roasted peanuts. Then I thought that maybe sweetening it will make it more peanut butter like. Once I added some stevia and took a sip. Wow, there’s the peanut butter! I would believe you if you said that this was a peanut butter flavored genmaicha or something. This is so good. I can’t get over it. And surely drinking this is better than eating a jar (or two) of peanut butter right?

Oh, and it resteeps well! I’m on my 3rd steep with no loss of flavor. I’m so glad Yunomius sent this in my press samples, it something I never would have thought about trying myself, and yet now its something I can see myself drinking regularly.

Flavors: Peanut, Roasted nuts

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Flavors: Nuts

Hey Steepsterites!

Remember when I said a while back on the forums that I would start reviewing tea on my blog, with a twist of comparing tea to fictional characters? Well, my first review is up, and it’s of this lovely cup!

This is a cup of grainy roasted goodness! It smells rich and nutty, almost like peanut butter, and the taste is like roasted rice or really thick, hearty bread. Soothing. Comforting. This is the kind of tea that just wraps you up and pats you on the head and makes you feel warm and safe. But make no mistake: this is not a weak, mush-mouthed tea. This tea has character. It has kick. It’s distinctive.

Comforting and maternal, with a backbone of strength and distinctiveness underneath? Which fictional character did I think of when drinking this tea? You’ll have to read the whole thing here to find out: http://christinavasilevski.com/2014/04/sunday-tea-books-sobacha-buckwheat-tea/

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML