Yamane-en: Hokkaido Dattan Sobacha

Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Christina
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 10 g 9 oz / 260 ml

From Yunomius

100% Japan (Hokkaido) grown, pesticide-free dattan sobacha (Tartary buckwheat tea)!

Sobacha tea is roasted buckwheat tea. This specific sobacha is made from dattan soba (tartary buckwheat, also known as bitter buckwheat) grown in Shibetsu city of Hokkaido and contains 100 times the amount of rutin (1500mg / 100g) compared to common buckwheat. Roasty flavor of sobacha is caffeine-free and is recommended to be drank at any time of the day. It can be used as your salad topping!

Compared to the Aomori-grown Dattan Sobacha, the Hokkaido sobacha has a much stronger buckwheat flavor with hints of roasted nuts, and is softer in texture (if you plan to eat it).

About Yunomius View company

This sample came from Christina. Thanks Christina!

This tea is full of a nutty, grainy goodness. There’s a bit of roasty flavour to it too but it seems to me that this is a bit less roasted flavour than other buckwheat teas I’ve had. I’m really not sure about that and would have to try them side by side to determine.

Anyway, greatly enjoyed this cup. It comes at a great time when the weather is cooling down. I haven’t had any desire to have buckwheat tea during the hot summer days. Somehow it just loses it’s charm when I have it during a warm or hot day. Just like hot chocolate, this tea is best on cold days. The colder the better. It really warms you up inside and makes you feel cozy.

Flavors: Grain, Nutty, Roasted nuts

Boiling 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Never has soba cha, but I’m a big fan of soba noodles. Sounds like I will have to try this.

2036 tasting notes

OH MY STARS. Thank you, Christina!!! Thank you SO MUCH.

SO GOOD. It’s toasted cereal breadness delicious tastiness. I added a little maple sugar, because why not.

I like this so much. So, so much. :D

Thanks for sharing!

Did you eat it?

Not yet! I should, right? AND eat some peanut butter, because all the notes talk about the delicious peanut-ness of it.

OK that was pretty good! Not 100% sure about the texture, but the flavour was nice. And also this tea is excellent with a spoonful of peanut butter on the side. :D

And they’re back. WHEW drama. Ok. Time to step away from the computer. Now that there’s peanut butter on the keyboard of course.

Is it similar to regular buckwheat ? I have some fr YS but still haven’t tried.

I _know-! It’s fucking delicious. Sometimes what I do is take the leftover buckwheat grains and have them with some yogurt for breakfast the following morning.

sounds delicious…

Intriguing! I had to go to the listing to see what this was all about. I don’t know if I have ever had a buckwheat tea before. I do like buckwheat though.

I have no idea if this is similar to other buckwheat teas. It’s just really really good! I went thread shopping today (yes, thread shopping, for hand sewing) and ended up at 3 different asian markets and none of them had sobacha. They had roasted corn tea, and roasted barley tea. I wasn’t curious enough to try the corn though.

This is basically just delicious toasted grains. Really toasty and warm and bread-like.

This is the second sobacha that I got a free sample of last month. This is the same type of buckwheat, but it’s grown in the Hokkaido prefecture, which is the entire northern island of Japan. I can actually see a big difference in the grains – they’re larger and much more variable in size, and they’re almost all whole. According to the product page, this sobacha has a stronger buckwheat flavor than the Aomori version. Dry scent is very similar, roasty peanuts.

The steeped tea smells very similar as well – it’s very nutty, specifically peanutty with a lot of roasted notes. Whoa, I can see what they meant by stronger buckwheat flavor. This one definitely packs more of a roasted punch than the other, but the actual flavors are very similar. I get the same taste of roasted peanut butter (though the roast is stronger here) and it’s quite creamy as well. Yum, such intense flavor and so delicious!

Edit: OMG, I just realized what this reminds me of! It tastes exactly like Corn Nuts! I don’t know if any of you have had those, but they’re basically roasted/deep fried corn kernels.

Flavors: Creamy, Peanut, Roasted, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

I love Corn Nuts!

Hey sounds great!

The second the boiling water hit this, intense aromas of peanut butter wafted through the air. I literally exclaimed “oh yum!” out loud. I love peanut butter, but try to resist it because I could probably eat a whole jar, and that’s not good, haha. The aroma of the tisane once its been strained is less peanut butter-y but still roasty, toasty, nutty mouthwatering goodness. I tried it first unsweetened, and it tasted like delicious roasted peanuts. Then I thought that maybe sweetening it will make it more peanut butter like. Once I added some stevia and took a sip. Wow, there’s the peanut butter! I would believe you if you said that this was a peanut butter flavored genmaicha or something. This is so good. I can’t get over it. And surely drinking this is better than eating a jar (or two) of peanut butter right?

Oh, and it resteeps well! I’m on my 3rd steep with no loss of flavor. I’m so glad Yunomius sent this in my press samples, it something I never would have thought about trying myself, and yet now its something I can see myself drinking regularly.

Flavors: Peanut, Roasted nuts

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I finally get to try another of this tisane type, hurray! It smells so good- like toasted brown rice cakes. The flavour has is a bit roast nutty. Went well with my Thai soup.

Flavors: Nuts

Hey Steepsterites!

Remember when I said a while back on the forums that I would start reviewing tea on my blog, with a twist of comparing tea to fictional characters? Well, my first review is up, and it’s of this lovely cup!

This is a cup of grainy roasted goodness! It smells rich and nutty, almost like peanut butter, and the taste is like roasted rice or really thick, hearty bread. Soothing. Comforting. This is the kind of tea that just wraps you up and pats you on the head and makes you feel warm and safe. But make no mistake: this is not a weak, mush-mouthed tea. This tea has character. It has kick. It’s distinctive.

Comforting and maternal, with a backbone of strength and distinctiveness underneath? Which fictional character did I think of when drinking this tea? You’ll have to read the whole thing here to find out: http://christinavasilevski.com/2014/04/sunday-tea-books-sobacha-buckwheat-tea/

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML