Organic Miyazaki Kamairicha Okumidori

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Auggy

• “I went a little nuts this year with shincha pre-ordering. I had never ordered from Yuuki-cha and they have a fair number of interesting teas - black, oolong and pan-fried Japanese teas. I did try...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “I got a sample of this for a tasting through the egullet.org tea forum, along with a sample of the Sakimidori Kamairicha: Both Kamairichas in small gaiwans with about 75mL water, 2 grams of...” Read full tasting note
    teaddict 311 tasting notes

From Yuuki-cha

This organic Kamairicha hails from Gokase Town in Miyazaki and is made from a limited select batch of highly-prized first harvest Okumidori leaves.

The infused tea has an excellent clear yellow color that when smelt closely can give an appetizing and mouthwatering sensation. It’s a predominately sweet tea with a mouthfeel that is nothing short of succulent, almost fruity, and has a taste that is lively and invigorating. It really offers an excellent all-round drinking experience and would make a good choice for a tea connoisseur or experienced tea drinker to explore. The easily approachable taste also makes it a good option for somebody that has an interest to try a high quality Kamairicha for the first time, too.

We must say that we are very happy to present this rare offering and being a breed that often ages very well, we expect later batches of this tea to become mellower, yet enriched!

About Yuuki-cha View company

I went a little nuts this year with shincha pre-ordering. I had never ordered from Yuuki-cha and they have a fair number of interesting teas – black, oolong and pan-fried Japanese teas. I did try to rein myself in a bit but with so many different and unusual teas, I pretty much blew my shincha budget on the one order and not even all of it on shincha. This one, though, was one of the new-crop teas I picked up.

Honestly, it’s a pretty wild tea. It’s just so flavorful! It’s got notes that I recognize from sencha, but also Chinese green notes. It smells like a thick, green, vegetal honey. And the taste is amazing – it’s sweet. Very sweet. It’s almost fruity in a way that makes me think of slightly unripened mango. It’s a very bright and vibrant taste. The first sip of this tea always surprises me because it’s so sparkly and shiny!

After that surprising first taste of sweet fruit, the tea transitions into this thick, heavy pungency that borders on bitterness but isn’t. It’s a little drying and prickly but not unpleasant, almost like the brine note I get from most Chinese greens, but not quite. The longer I hold the tea in my mouth, the more the thick, textured pungency develops and then it glides down smoothly when I swallow, leaving behind a feeling that gives a post-red wine feeling.

Slurping brings out a new flavor, a heavy, dark grassy flavor that is really delicious. It’s almost dessert-like, if there was such a thing as a desert grass. Continued slurping brings out a muscat-y flavor underneath that, tying in with the unripened mango and red wine notes. As it cools the pungency increases, giving it a heavier mouthfeel and the taste that comes out in slurping pokes out a bit in a sweet dried hay note.

Lots of flavors! I keep finding this tea kind of shocking. It’s so interesting and it transitions through so many different flavors, like a multi-flavored gobstopper but of different tea flavors. It doesn’t seem like the flavors and textures – mango, grass, thickness, wine-like ending – should go together but it does. It’s fascinating to me. I want to keep drinking it because it keeps surprising me, making the last sip as interesting as the first sip. And that’s not something I can say about a lot of teas!

O-cha.com is still probably my go-to place for shincha orders because they have my ultimate favorite Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori and, as I discovered this year when I tried to limit myself to just one shincha order, I can’t do without that tea. But an offering like this? Pretty much makes it a given that I’ll be ordering from Yuuki-cha again.

Ninavampi

I love that you described it as “a multi-flavored gobstopper but of different tea flavors”. Now I really, really feel like I must try this. : )

TeaBrat

ohhh. i’ve not heard of Yuuki-cha, this place looks promising. :)

Auggy

Ninavampi, I’m not normally a fan of greens other than sencha but this is a really fascinating tea. I would totally recommend it!

Amy oh, I’ve only ordered from them once but I was very impressed by their service. They had to stop offering some of the teas I pre-ordered because of the nuclear reactor issues post earthquake & tsunami in Japan and they were super classy about how they handled it. Thumbs up to them. (Oh yeah, and all of the teas I’ve had from them have been very good, if not downright impressive.)

TeaBrat

I have added it to my shopping list…

Ninavampi

Same : )

Matt

Ooooh. Want this one!

Auggy

Hopefully all three of y’all will enjoy it if you snag some! :)

Both Kamairichas in small gaiwans with about 75mL water, 2 grams of tea.

The teas are curly, very different from the needle-like bits of senchas, but a nice deep green appropriate to sencha. The leaves smell sweet and rich.

First infusions about 30 seconds because I checked the water temp just after I poured it, and it was hotter than expected—150 degrees. They’re both warm, roasty, toasty, vegetal, peas and corn and asparagus, but also a little lightly floral. Delicate yellow-green liquors.

2nd infusions about 30 seconds, temp about 150 degrees. A little more astringency in the Sakimidori, a little smoother in the Okumidori.

3rd infusion, 45 seconds, 155 degrees: still seeing that same difference, more sharpness in the Sakimidori, more smoothness in the Okumidori. I wasn’t sure at the 2nd infusion if the infusion times were a little off, but the differences were consistent through the next infusion.

4th infusion, 1 minute, 160 degrees: these are really, really nice teas. They are not senchas, but feel closer to a sencha in flavor than to a pan-fired chinese green tea.

5th infusion, 160 degrees, 90 seconds: the differences are lessened again. Still both are sweet and vegetal.

6th infusion, still 160 degrees—forgot to up the temp; time about 2 minutes (more carelessness); still entirely delicious, and just the most subtle difference between them.

7th infusion: spilled the Sakimidori. Enjoying the 170 degree, 2 minute infusion of the Okumidori a lot. Would have liked to try for another infusion, but the spill got the teakettle base and I want to let it try before I use it again. Sigh.

The leaves remain bright grassy green at the end of the infusions, obviously broken pieces but a bit larger on average than leaves of typical senchas.