Organic Miyazaki Oolong Tea Koubi Shiage

Oolong Tea
Chocolate, Fruity, Nuts, Toasted Rice
Edit tea info Last updated by Teablr

From Yuuki-cha

Koubi Shiage is a classical kama-iri (pan-fired) Japanese oolong tea from Gokase Town, Miyazaki, Japan that has undergone a strong heat finishing during the final stage of production. A richer appetizing aroma and fuller flavor is the outcome!

It is exclusively made from tea leaves that were harvested from Minami Sayaka tea bushes at the end of July. The leaf material is therefore larger and coarser then teas picked in spring, but still from wonderfully healthy vibrant organic tea bushes that are extremely well cared for all-year-round by the grower.

The tea has penetrating lifted roasted aromas and a dark amber liquor color. The taste is quite robust with full flavors on the front of the palate followed by the sweetest finish that persistently lingers in the back of the mouth. A beautiful natural sweetness that you only ever really find in organically grown Japanese cultivars! In addition, It’s totally smooth, succulent, and tasty with nice warming and soothing qualities, and no burnt, bitter, or dry flavors at all. A great tea for the colder months, but also one that would probably be nice cold brewed in the summer.

For those that love dark oolong tea (or Japanese roasted teas for that matter), we’re sure you’ll be drawn to this one-of-a-kind Japanese oolong tea!

About Yuuki-cha View company

After trying Chinese Da Hong Pao, I’d say it’s basically similar taste.

ah a nice afternoontea before the dinnerguests arrive. Today im making Pulled beef with tortilla bread and guacamole. :) smells wonderful!

The tea leaf smells somewhat like da hong pao, although much greener and less charred smell. The flavour is less intense and more spicy.
I tried western style this time and the result was better than gong fu.
Very little astringancy and shockful cinnamon falvour, there is also a hint of cardamon with a spicy feel and a hint of burnt leaf/smoke.
A very pleasant tea!

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 4 g 6 OZ / 190 ML
donkeyteaarrrraugh

sounds exotic!

I thought I would carry on my habit lately of drinking some greens – so i’m trying this gift from Haveteawilltravel in the oolong group buy. Thanks!

OK. Lots of broken twigs! grandpa-style minefield – unless you like twigs going up your nose :D I followed others recommendations of just under 80c. I did also hear you can hit it with boiling and get a really wonderful chocolate hit but as this was a sampler I didnt want to mess it up.

Taste-wise, its nice savoury – nuts, chocolate with just a hint of fruity aroma. At one point it reminded me of food, and I couldn’t work out what it was. Then I realised toasted rice, and so probably something related from the leaf or toasting method in Genmaicha had made me think of toasted rice in this.

Before this sencha & genmaicha were my only japanese teas ive tried. I enjoyed this, albeit being maybe a tad not to my tastes. Its certainly piqued my interest to try some more japanese greens at some point.

And thanks to LiquidProust for doing his organising of these group buys.

Flavors: Chocolate, Fruity, Nuts, Toasted Rice

175 °F / 79 °C 4 min, 30 sec 2 g 2 OZ / 59 ML
kristinalee

As a mostly-black-and-oolong drinker, I like hojicha a lot, as long as I get a good one that doesn’t taste like an ash tray. I get one of the middle-range cost ones from Yunomi, and it’s like roasted almonds.

kristinalee

I did have a bad experience with hojicha from O-cha, so I’m careful where I buy it now. Pretty much only Yunomi.

Rasseru

I’ve had young Cheap Da Hong Pao that tasted like I was drinking water mixed with ash, this was a pleasant walk in the park compared :)

kristinalee

Heh, yeah. What I have is made from roasted sencha leaves. I’m not generally a fan of Japanese green teas, but this one has made it into my regular rotation. I can drink it late at night — so far it’s the only tea that I don’t really get any caffeine buzz from.

Rasseru

Even Bai Mu Dan or Yin Zhen white teas? Thats what I drink if I dont want so much of a buzz (or roobois but we are talking tea tea arent we)

kristinalee

Ah, yeah, I don’t really like white teas, so no, not those. Or at least I have’t had any that I like so far. I do like rooibos sometimes.

kristinalee

But yeah, mainly I’ve been just drinking tea leaves lately, haven’t had a lot of rooibos. Maybe none at all for the past several months.

Rasseru

even yin zhen/ silver needle?

Rasseru

I think that stuff is heaven in a cup

kristinalee

Really? I’ve got some samples I should really try. I probably haven’t really tried any good quality white teas yet, but I have some on hand. Teas with no oxidation usually make me feel kind of nauseous, but I’ll definitely try what I have.

Rasseru

If you can try a yinzhen/silver needle which is fresh, green with fluffy white hairs I would. Theres a sweetness & taste that sometimes goes into the realms of exquisite (for me anyway)

kristinalee

I think I’ve got one from The Finest Brew — it’s probably the most promising. How long do you steep and at what temperature?

I like ~3g in a 10/12oz cup western style. and 75-80c for about 3 minutes

A disappointment to me! Before trying this tea, I had the Organic Miyazaki Oolong Tea Baisen from Yuuki-Cha, which I loved and might be the best tea I ever had. So I was very excited to open up my bag of Koubi Shiage. The leaves of this tea look pretty nice to me, however they are accompanied by a relatively large fraction of stalks.

This tea is somewhat cheaper than the Baisen (8$ vs. 10$ per 50g), but tastes not much like it at all. I tried different temperatures and leaf amounts, but the quality stayed similar. This tea has little or no real ‘oolong’ taste, and little else to make it interesting either, and on me leaves the impression of just any average black tea, however with some oolong smell.