Organic Matcha Iri Genmaicha

Green Tea
Popcorn, Toasty
Edit tea info Last updated by Cauterize

• “Thanks for this one, LuckyMe! I’m drinking this at 8 PM and hoping I won’t regret it—I usually don’t drink 1st steeps this late. LuckyMe’s review on this was spot on....” Read full tasting note
    J23456 38 tasting notes
  • “I’ve never been a fan of genmaicha but then this tea came along and changed everything. This is a warm and toasty tea with a smooth buttery body that reminds me of popcorn. The liqueur is a...” Read full tasting note
    luckyme 135 tasting notes

From Yuuki-cha

This organic genmaicha, made by our farmer in Kyoto, includes both first harvest organic sencha and matcha. The inclusion of matcha, which is dusted over the brown rice and sencha, helps bring out a mellower flavor, heightens the health benefits, and produces greener infusions. A very healthy cup of tea, and another recommendable type of organic genmaicha!

About Yuuki-cha View company

Thanks for this one, LuckyMe! I’m drinking this at 8 PM and hoping I won’t regret it—I usually don’t drink 1st steeps this late. LuckyMe’s review on this was spot on. It’s like a roasty (slightly burnt) buttery popcorn. It makes me want to hit up a movie.

I should note that this is my first genmaicha and was excited to try it. It exceded my expectations. Great tea!

I’ve never been a fan of genmaicha but then this tea came along and changed everything. This is a warm and toasty tea with a smooth buttery body that reminds me of popcorn. The liqueur is a beautiful emerald green thanks to the matcha. It’s not burnt or bitter tasting, a problem I’ve had with genmaicha in the past. Changing the way I steep is part of the reason why I’ve come to enjoy it more now.

Most directions tell you to brew genmaicha at hotter temperature than usual for green tea, around 185 F. Personally, I find genmaicha bitter if steeped higher than 175. The best results with this tea came when I steeped it unlidded at 170 for 1 minute. This results in a pleasant nuttiness without the harsh roasted taste and no astringency. I feel the matcha helps take the edge off the roast and gives it a fuller body.

This is a comforting tea to drink for those cold winter days and makes a fabulous iced tea in the summer.

Flavors: Popcorn, Toasty

Zennenn

Gosh, popcorn flavors sounds great in a genmaicha.

LuckyMe

Low temp steeping is key to turning genmaicha from burnt rice to popcorn :-)