Blood Orange

Edit tea info Last updated by Zen Tea

• “I'm having this iced today. Brewed double strength then poured over ice. It's pretty good with a little honey, although I forgot my bit of baking soda so it is a little bitter. I don't think...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1426 tasting notes
  • “This tea has certainly made a trip! It somehow took 2? months to get from BC to ON but here it is! This tea comes with a suggesting on the packaging that it makes a great iced tea. I decided to...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4875 tasting notes
  • “I had this earlier today, and I have to say I was surprised by how good it was. I mixed it with a little bit of the Zen Tea's vanilla, and it was divine. Lots of tang and that tongue tingling...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 697 tasting notes
  • “This sample is from *Cavocorax*! The dry leaf smells very funky but after the steeping process it's fine. Tastes like a keen Earl Grey. It's very enthusiastic on the citrus. I will write...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 495 tasting notes

From Zen Tea

Grown along the northern coast of the Mediterranean Sea, blood oranges have been revered since ancient times for their rich sweetness. This less acidic counterpart to the classic orange makes for a excellent cup of tea, iced or hot.

Price: $9 / 100g

About Zen Tea View company

I’m having this iced today. Brewed double strength then poured over ice. It’s pretty good with a little honey, although I forgot my bit of baking soda so it is a little bitter.

I don’t think I’ll get this one again, but it does make a pretty good iced tea. The blood orange is coming across a little like orange cleaner, but I still have that horrible metallic-ness in my mouth which is probably changing the flavour a lot.

Oh well. Breathing is important, so I’ll keep using the inhaler.

gmathis

I keep forgetting the baking soda trick for iced tea. May have to write it on my hand.

baking soda trick??

gmathis

Pinch of baking soda in refrigerated teas for smoothness. I just googled it and it shows up chiefly in reference to sweet tea.

oh nice!

JustJames

@gmathis seriously? why?…… must go data mine now. (i like to know why, lol)

gmathis

Spoken like a true tea geek :)

OMGsrsly

Something to do with the basic nature of the baking soda neutralizing the acidic nature of the tannins in teas. I prefer to do this with my black teas, even when just pouring over ice, because I do not like that flavour.

JustJames

yes, right! as drs google and wikipedia also told me…. again down to HOW though, lol. so i continued to dig. appafently it’s because baking soda is an amphoteric which equates to a molecule that goes both ways and react with acids (ie the vinegar/baking soda volcano) and bases both. so, depending on its pairing mate it will either borrow or lend a molecule (cool— and i learned a new word!)

it’s even used in IVs in an instance of extreme acidosis of the blood, to reduce the acidity of soil and is used to stop the spread of phosphorus inside soldier’s wounds from an incendiary bullet (OMG i didn’t even know there was such a thing!)

it’s kept by chemists in the lab because it can be used to neutralize both acids and bases and has virtually zero reactivity and has no risk of using too much.

well thank you for prompting my research OMGsrsly. i have a chemical explanation and stretched my brain today!

gmathis

…and with a little vinegar, de-stinks the kitchen drain quite nicely. (Sorry, I’m also chemically challenged!) Intend to try it with my next cheap fridge steep of grocery store brand.

JustJames

it also doubles as a rinse aid in the dishwasher that costs SO much less and if you let it sit in the toilet and then dump baking soda on your scrub brush you have a sparkling toilet bowl! (see? i pinch pennies so i can em’ on tea!)

ashmanra

My mom taught me the baking soda in tea trick when I was a wee little lass. She tossed it in and said it kept it from being cloudy and would soothe an overstepped tea.

JustJames

argh, i am so behind! guess i’ll have to buy more tea to catch up! lol.

OMGsrsly

Keep a spray bottle of vinegar and a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the kitchen for disinfecting counters. Just make sure you don’t mix them in one container (mixing on the counter is fine) because they create peracetic acid which is not really useful.

This tea has certainly made a trip! It somehow took 2? months to get from BC to ON but here it is! This tea comes with a suggesting on the packaging that it makes a great iced tea. I decided to try it hot first and I’m inclined to agree that iced may work better to draw out the flavours. This is a nice tea…but it’s hard to find the blood orange in this.

I had this earlier today, and I have to say I was surprised by how good it was. I mixed it with a little bit of the Zen Tea’s vanilla, and it was divine. Lots of tang and that tongue tingling feeling I sometimes get when eating an orange, but it was mellowed out just enough by the vanilla. Yum.

This sample is from Cavocorax!

The dry leaf smells very funky but after the steeping process it’s fine. Tastes like a keen Earl Grey. It’s very enthusiastic on the citrus.

I will write more on it later and finish up the sample tonight!

I don’t know if I specifically get “Blood Orange” from this; it’s not very sweet and I get a good taste of indistinguishable sour rind. Although, a little sweetness does creep into the aftertaste. It’s disappointing for a fruity citrus tea but it’s perfectly acceptable, albeit a little sharp, for a Grey. I don’t think this has any bergamot in it but the tea manages fine without.

Another free sample to review!

Dry, it smells amazing! I love orange so I was so excited about this. Too bad it doesn’t actually taste as much like orange as it smells. It’s a nice smooth black but the final product only has a hint of orange to it. For that reason I don’t think I would buy any of it.