Vanilla black tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Zen Tea

• “I'm trying a new morning schedule. Starting today, I'm waking up an hour and a half before I have to leave for work rather than an hour, which was resulting in me being cramped for time, not...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 288 tasting notes
  • “Oh hi, Zen teas that I purchased back in April but still haven't touched yet! As I'm sure everyone knows, I'm always on the hunt for a wonderful vanilla black. Zen's prices are super sweet so I...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning. I had to be out of the house earlier than usual, so I grabbed the first sample I laid my hands on and decided it would be in my travel mug asap. This cup wasn't quite as good as...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 459 tasting notes
  • “This one is pretty good. I'm glad I only got a sample, though. I'm not sure that Vanilla Tea is for me. It's a little bitter when steeped. Even after adding a little milk and sugar. It's also a...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1162 tasting notes

From Zen Tea

The deep, rich aroma of Madagascar vanilla makes for a velvety smooth, sweet tea that is excellent hot or iced.

Price: $9 / 100g

About Zen Tea View company

I’m trying a new morning schedule. Starting today, I’m waking up an hour and a half before I have to leave for work rather than an hour, which was resulting in me being cramped for time, not getting enough breakfast, not being able to make tea, looking like poop when I left the house, and being late anyway.

I am happy to announce that I have been left with enough time to make and enjoy a nice, big cup of tea. The thing I like about this tea is it’s simple. I don’t have to feel guilty when I make it wrong and can’t taste any of the little nuances. Also, I am surprisingly close to a sipdown!

OMGsrsly

I’ve been trying to take time in the morning for tea as well. It’s amazing how much better my day goes when I’m not rushed!

Oh hi, Zen teas that I purchased back in April but still haven’t touched yet! As I’m sure everyone knows, I’m always on the hunt for a wonderful vanilla black. Zen’s prices are super sweet so I definitely couldn’t pass this one up.

The dry leaf is quite bland. It smells sweet, but like a watered down sugary vanilla. Like adding a drop of vanilla to corn syrup. It doesn’t quite grab your senses. It’s also not an obvious vanilla. If I were to smell this without knowing what it’s supposed to be, I’d just assume it’s a vaguely sugary black tea.

Without any additives, it’s also very bland. The base itself is on the weaker side even though I steeped it for three minutes as per their directions. While it’s nice to not have an extremely robust or astringent base blocking out the vanilla, I still expected more from the base itself.

The flavouring doesn’t even taste like vanilla to me either. Maybe like a light vanilla caramel, but artificial. I added some soy milk and while I prefer to drink it this way, it’s ultimately underwhelming. Maybe I’m going crazy but after a while, so many of these flavoured teas start to taste the same. You know, like a vaguely sugared up black tea.

Tea of the morning. I had to be out of the house earlier than usual, so I grabbed the first sample I laid my hands on and decided it would be in my travel mug asap. This cup wasn’t quite as good as the last offering from this sample. The vanilla doesn’t seem to be as strong. Still, it’s a very nice cup. Strong, smooth, and sweet. I can think of worse ways to start a Monday.

This one is pretty good. I’m glad I only got a sample, though. I’m not sure that Vanilla Tea is for me.

It’s a little bitter when steeped. Even after adding a little milk and sugar. It’s also a little too much like artificial vanilla extract, rather than rich vanilla beans. Since my sugar has a couple vanilla pods in it, I’m pretty certain of the differences.

While I’m glad I tried this, I think I’m going to add it to the Swap List. (Sorry Victoria, you’re out of luck. Your package is already all taped up!)

i have a bunch of vanilla teas i can send you at some point to see if it’s vanilla teas or that particular tea.

OMGsrsly

Haha. :) Maybe. One day. After I finally pack up and mail your parcel.

can you make incendiare give me her info so i can send her some damn tea lol

OMGsrsly

I’m sending hers to ShayneBear. But sure I’ll hassle her. :) (Do you see this, Incendiare? Sil wants your address!)

she doesn’t seem to understand it’s already packed and ready to go so she should just give in… lol

sometimes i love that you guys are on FB too…

OMGsrsly

Certainly makes pressuring people into giving addresses a lot easier. :D Which means, I’m off to the post office to mail your box!

haha oh lordy.. i need to get my drink on!

OMGsrsly

Oh, do you ever! (There’s a nice surprise as well as an “OMG why was this sent to me?!” surprise.)

haha love it!

Sip down! Which is totally weird because apparently I never logged this prior to the sip down. This is a nice enough vanilla black but I prefer the version from steeped and infused. Th black is a little lighter than I’d reefer and the vanilla not as strong. Still I’m grateful for the sample from zen tea!

Oops! I never logged this tea lol. Well, it was a free sample from Zen Tea Life, thanks! I got about 3-4 cups out of the little packet. This vanilla black isn’t too bad, pretty mild on the vanilla though. The black base is ok, but not the best. But I managed to sip it down at least :) I steeped for 3 minutes as per the directions, 2 probably would have sufficed actually. Oh and I enlisted my boyfriend’s help in my sipdowns, I made him 2 cups of my Tung Ting oolong from DAVIDsTEA tonight (overleafed on the second to get in a sipdown haha, but he still likes it, I steeped less to compensate). So yay, 2 more teas down! I’d probably purchase some Tung Ting again if I run out of oolongs from Verdant, as it is pretty tasty! Anyways, back to this one. Not bad, not the best, but drinkable. And free samples with orders are nice!

I always love a good vanilla tea, so I like to try as many as I can! This tea is just ok for me at this point. The black tea base is a little bit astringent so maybe I will try a 2 minute steep next time. The vanilla is ok, slightly sweet.

T&C TTB #20

I have this notion that vanilla tea should be the best thing ever, but I am finding that I have such high expectation for vanilla tea and that most straight vanilla black teas do not live up to it. This was tasty, but nothing to write home about.

NayLynn

Is it to late for you to get Vanilla Excellence from the box?

TeaTiff

Unfortunately yes, the box is on the move. I take it this was a pretty good vanilla tea?

TeaTiff

Ooh I like your new picture!!!

NayLynn

Well I guess its better not to try it because I don’t know how we would get more.

Thanks on the picture, I tried changing it back but could not. I think it looks a funny/weird yellow face with crazy blue hair when it is small.

TeaTiff

Haha, I see how you could get that. A picture of a Texas flag with a tea cup would be fun!

The dry leaf smell actually reminds me of bitter chocolate. Brewed, the tea base is full bodied and slightly bitter. A faint vanilla scent, makes for a slightly sweet black tea. Tasted with no additives, the flavouring is very light but present, there is no very distinct taste of vanilla when first sipped, the vanilla is lightly present in the aftertaste, almost as a top note to the flavour of the tea base, true vanilla smell, not cloying, artificial, or sweet. I taste vanilla in the back of my mouth. The tea actually reminds me of vanilla scented dark chocolate. Makes for a nice slightly sweet flavoured tea, for those who prefer the taste of tea to be dominant in their flavoured teas and for flavourings to be used to accentate the tea base. I like the base it is strong deep and leaves a tingling on my tongue and the back of my throat like espresso. It resteeps well.