Bossa Nova

Oolong Tea
Cream, Hazelnut, Metallic, Caramel, Mineral, Vanilla, Creamy, Autumn Leaf Pile, Custard, Roasted nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

From Zen Tea

Creamy hazelnut and vanilla give warm rhythm to this customer favorite.

Price: $9 / 100g

About Zen Tea View company

I GAVE THIS TEA ANOTHER TRY. The chocolate smell was very off-putting the first time I had it and I think I may have steeped it too long too, but this time around… NOT SO BAD! I like hazelnut and this has a lot of that. I think I’ll actually raise the rating on it now, it’s not bad at all!

Thanks to Kittenna for this sample!
I can definitely taste the hazelnut here. Well, maybe more like the hazelnut filling you get in chocolates. Or a creamier version of nuttella!
Will resteep and write more later.

Tried to resteep a rose tea that I fogot to store properly. FAIL! Not wanting to waste perfectly good water I threw in what was left of my Bossa Nova Zen Tea sample and Oh My God everytime I drink this tea it is so delicious. I am an oolong fan for life. Its so nutty and vanillaliscious! Some might be wondering why this isn’t a technical review, well a few reasons:

1. I wrote one already and it’s at my boyfriend’s waiting to be posted, bf review and all!
2. It was a spur of the moment and I am just enjoying this the way I like it, no scientific tasting today!
3. Its finals week next week and I am giving my boyfriend the week to cram so I wouldnt/couldn’t pick up my notes if I wanted to.

Lady 0f Spaydes

Tasted remnants of the rose tea at the end of the cup. Very interesting!

Arggg, I got a long day today with a crazy jitz class and making lots of filipino egg rolls (lumpias) for my wedding. UGGG.

Thanks to Zen Tea for a sample of this tea!

STEEPED: Light brown tea, coffee like smell.
TASTE: Light oolong taste, smokey roasted nutty flavor. I didn’t get much of the vanilla / creamy taste.
Sweetened, the nuttyness comes out more. I even get that nut skin taste. I think I prefer the unsweetened tea more as it seems more sophisticated in taste.

COMMENTS: This is a great alternative to someone who doesn’t want a black tea, but wants a bold nutty taste. Overall really good for hazelnut lovers. However, this wasn’t creamy for me and I felt this needed another dimension for me. Maybe a longer steep would bring out more of the oolong?

This one was pretty alright for me, nothing really extraordinary. But I do love watching oolongs unfurl! It didn’t have as much of a rich, creaminess that I tend to associate with oolongs, and I didn’t get ANY hint of vanilla, but it did taste and smell very nuttytoastyroasty to me. I didn’t put any sugar in. I went outside in the cold and read Norse creation myths while drinking this. Kept me warm!

A review of Bossa Nova Oolong Tea Flavoured by Zen Tea

Company: Zen Tea
Tea Name: Bossa Nova Oolong tea flavoured
Tea Type/Varietal: Oolong
Region: China
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: dark reddish brown
Leaf Characteristics: the leaves are small and finely curled with bits of the hazelnut brittle which smelled more like cocoa or naturally unprocessed cocoa kind of bitterness.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 5 minutes

The oolongs I have had from Zen Tea have all been wonderfully clean and pure. I understand that this is a popular blend but unfortunately for me it is not. I steeped this tea for five minutes with boiled water; removing the tea leaves which are plumper but still small leaves. The teas’ aroma is very lovely as it is a robust and flavorful aroma almost coffee like. The hazelnut brittles mixed with the vanilla is heady indeed. But when sipping the tea it is mildly bitter; like naturally pure cocoa and with the vanilla bean it makes it even more so.

Since I don’t add anything to my teas usually, but adding milk or cream with sweetener might make this a more enjoyable cup of tea.

2nd Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 3 minutes

I am trying for another cup of this tea steeped for a few minutes and the aroma is as before very enjoyable and when sipping of tea the astringency found in the tea’s mixture of vanilla bean and hazelnut brittle still exists.

The tea is layered nicely with the vanilla and hazelnut brittle tantalizing the taste buds and if one prefers their teas with milk/cream and sugar than this tea is ideally for this. Since I prefer plainer tea, I find this oolong to be too much like that of a black tea than an oolong. Aside from the Magnolia Oolong I would prefer and enjoy this oolong best if it were a true oolong and not passing for black tea.

I mean I don’t like this tea, but this tea is well suited for those favoring black teas.

This is a pretty nice tea. It’s not as strong as say, Divine Temptation from Bayswater, it does still have a light hazelnut and vanilla flavour and warmth, but it is pretty mild and smooth.

I don’t know if it is something to have on hand all the time, or whether I would buy it, but it is nice, and I thank Cavocorax for including this with her samples at the Vancouver meet up/swap.

I like this one more than I thought I would. It’s pretty light tasting for a nutty oolong, and although I wish it was a bit richer in taste, it’s still pretty good. I guess nothing will replace Maple Pecan in my heart. If only I could justify a Butiki order right now.

Anyway, I do get a nutty taste and no bitterness from this, which is what I was looking for.

Before Steeping:
Scent- Very nutty, mainly Hazelnut.

After Steeping:
Color- A very clear yellow, not yet green.
Scent- Hazelnut, and some other type of roasted nut.

Taste:
Nude- VERY nutty,not quite sure that I like it, tastes like rum without alcohol.
Experiment- added Captain Morgan Spiced Rum…FAIL,, just dont do it, it was VERY watery.
With Sugar- not that bad

*Though I am not a Oolong tea fan, I wanted to try something different, generally I am not in Love with it.

Wow…Evol Ving Ness, I will be covered for a while. Thank you so much!!!

So I had to tag along the club and try this. The smell is great. Being impatient, I gong fu’d this entire sample. The first steep was really lovely: vanilla and strong hazelnut in the first steep with a roasted caramel oolong body. The second had more oolong and hazelnut. The oolong was definitely on the greener side but high on the roast. Farily vegetal. I wonder if this was a formosa-it was curled up like one.

The third cup is mostly nutty and vegetal losing out on some flavor. Anyway, “Pleasant” is the word to describe this tea. Not something I mind having every once in a while, but not something I’d reach for.

Evol Ving Ness

I have found I enjoy this one more when I go a bit more lightly on the leaf. For some reason, it seems to tone down the minerality of it and bring up the nuttiness. Glad to hear that you are diving in with full gusto!

Evol Ving Ness

Oh, and also, I am so glad that the box got there.

Daylon R Thomas

:) Same. I could see this tea being better light western. I was surprised how much I was able to get out of it Gong Fu though. I wonder if Western would have been better for the next sample of yours I guzzled. The Milk Scent Kinsen was interesting, and is interesting. It’s giving me a little bit of a buz. It actually has some interesting dimensions.