LongJing (Dragon Well)

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Yay, a green tea I have liked! I got this as a free sample from Zen Tea Life (thank you!) and just brewed it up today - I haven't really been in a green tea mood for a long time. I used a little...” Read full tasting note
    BlueKittyMeow 124 tasting notes
  • “I was initially struck by the darker appearance and stronger scent of the dried leaves in Zen Tea's Long Jing, relative to other Long Jings familiar to me. I also noticed quite a few smaller and...” Read full tasting note
    Shera Pop 882 tasting notes

From Zen Tea

LungJing produced from the West Lake of Hangzhouand and is prepared from young fresh buds during the spring season. The world’s most renowned China green tea also known as “Lung Ching” envelops the whole palate with a slightly sweet, very refreshing liquor. A classic wok-fired green tea, it has a delicate chestnut like flavour, captivating aroma, and a lovely yellow-green color.

Origin: Hangzhou, China
Steeping method: 1-2 teaspoon, 80 C(176F), 2 min

About Zen Tea View company

Yay, a green tea I have liked!
I got this as a free sample from Zen Tea Life (thank you!) and just brewed it up today – I haven’t really been in a green tea mood for a long time.
I used a little bit more leaf and a little cooler temperature than called for and steeped on the short side because I’m cautious with green teas now.
And… I like it! It is nutty, with a little bit of walnut like astringency but just the right amount. I get hints of almonds, green beans, and a little bit of butteriness at the end.
I’m rather relieved – I think I’ve broken through my green tea aversion now.

Babble

Weird.. I DID get the coconut oolong like you did, but I didn’t get the dragonwell. I got a pu-erh instead. Bummer. I’ve been on the hunt for a good dragonwell.

BlueKittyMeow

Aw man, I wish I had found that out Monday, I would have thrown a sample of that in the package too!

Babble

Awww it’s okay. I’ve got some other dragon wells to try in the meantime.

I was initially struck by the darker appearance and stronger scent of the dried leaves in Zen Tea’s Long Jing, relative to other Long Jings familiar to me. I also noticed quite a few smaller and broken leaves in the envelope. Then, upon brewing, though the liquor was very pale greenish yellow, the taste was more robust and vegetal than I have come to expect from this type of tea. That said, the brew is very tasty, so now I’m wondering whether I have been underleafing my Long Jing pots.

Today’s three-glass tetsubin was prepared using 5 grams of tea, so I’ll be sure to use that same amount when I brew other versions in the days to come… It’s nice to have a small scale so that I no longer have to eyeball dried tea servings!

For now, I am happy with this tea, just wondering about the darker vegetal facet, which seems more pronounced than the silken buttery side of this Long Jing.

second infusion: this seemed far more Long JIngy to me—with the characteristic pale greenish yellow liquor and smooth and silken mouthfeel—and now I am wondering whether this might be an example of a tea the first infusion of which the Chinese would toss? I rather liked the more robust first infusion, but it did seem like a different tea…

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 27 OZ / 798 ML