Phoenix Pearl

Baked Bread, Wood, Chocolate, Malt, Cocoa, Caramel, Tobacco, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Erin Williams

2 Images

From Zen Tea

Naturally sweet and smooth with a touch of earthiness. Expertly rolled into a pearl-like shape.

Hailing from the Yunnan province, this Phoenix Pearl is naturally sweet and smooth with a touch of earthiness. Comprised of only the highest quality leaves and buds, expertly rolled into a pearl-like shape. Subtle cocoa notes whisper gently as each pearl unfurls delivering a superior tea experience not to be missed. Recomended to steep 2-3 times for different nuances of flavor.

Price: $10 / 100g
Ingredients : Black tea from Yunnan, China
Preparation(1 cup) : 3min, 1 teaspoon, 90C(194F)

About Zen Tea View company

Ok how is this even the same tea I rated earlier? I drank it and immediately thought that this was amazing and my new favorite tea! I brewed it Western Style, and this is very smooth, delicate and lightly sweet. There are some really tasty flavors that I love but can’t quite narrow down, except cocoa and honey!

I will have to order some!!!

Thx ozli!

Are yunnan teas normally like this?

momo

cocoa and honey, that’s them! I didn’t think this was as malty as like a dian hong but it’s still so good!

DaisyChubb

mmm I’m having some as soon as I get up tomorrow now!

Ozli

this one resteeps so good too!

OMGsrsly

I just found this one in my box of teas to try (which I forgot about because I’ve been rearranging my kitchen). It’s up next! Fingers crossed. :)

Cavocorax

I hope you enjoy it! :)

OMGsrsly

I’m shocked! I actually do.

Oh… this is so nice! Rich and sweet and wonderful!

The sweet notes here are profound, deeply chocolate-y, with notes of caramel. It’s one of those types of teas that are incredibly cozy … the kind you want to curl up with and just drink with joyful abandon.

Yum yum yum!

This tea is delicious hot, but also very good cold, something that I learned because I had to step away from the computer for a while and came back to a cold cup (I haven’t yet turned the heat on in the house, I don’t know why I haven’t. And I really don’t know why I’m sitting here, complaining about not doing it instead of getting up and doing it right now) and it is still really delicious! Sweet, earthy, and just plain good. REALLY good.

CupofTree

Haha did you turn the heat on yet?

LiberTEAS

Yes, I did. I’m a wimp when it comes to being cold. I actually prefer it to be a little COOLER… because hot tea tastes better when its cooler, but, when it’s cold, I’m just … I don’t want to be cold. LOL

CupofTree

Haha exactly!!

My first sipdown of the month, leaving me at 217 teas in my collection.
This one was from Cavorcorax. The name of the tea brings to mind those pearl teas that so many of us love, but this is really more of a black bilochun “spring snail” style. I made a 16 oz pot of it, followed by a resteep. Excellent with breakfast, & now I feel a little more energy.

I really need to get moving! I’ve been slacking all morning, which Ms Theresa is grumbling about in my head. So much to do, & yet I have basically done nothing, save feeding myself, drinking tea, & goofing off on FB, Steepster, the NNWM site, & a few other places. Time to get a move on!

man you’re getting close to 200! that’s exciting :)

Terri HarpLady

Yeah! I’d like to get down to 200 by the end of next week, at least, but of course, I don’t really have that many teas that are at sipdown level…sigh…

i’m kinda tempted to see if i can get to 150 by the end of the weekend…. heh….

Terri HarpLady

Go for it! :)

This smells wonderfully grain-like when dry and amazingly cocoa when brewed. This is an exceptional Yunnan. My lengthy review can be found here:

T&C Box 18/18

Well darn, I oversteeped this. I got distracted and it got too dark. This claims to resteep, though, so I’ll keep the leaves and try again. If it doesn’t resteep well I may sneak another teaspoon out before I send the box off to Kat_Maria, there was plenty in the bag.

Even oversteeped this is good. I think I love Yunnan teas after this teabox! It’s a little bitter but there are intense chocolate notes mixing in with the woody, smoky flavor I’m starting to love. The fact that I’m giving this the highest rating possible despite my own errors says it all, I think.

TeaTiff

Wow you were fast! Some of the black teas in here sounded amazing. I hope some of them make it my way!

Another free sample from Zen tea! Thank you so much!

I have to say that this is a pretty nice tea. It’s much less subtle than other blacks that I typically enjoy but that doesn’t take away from the tea. Although it’s not a strong tea, it’s got plenty of flavour! There’s a sweetness to it, but not in the sense of say biting into a chocolate bar. I drank this down without even realising it and had to go make more :)

Tea of the morning, and it was so good. Bread-y, chocolate-y, malt-y perfection. The second steep was just as good with less of the crusty bread note and more sweetness. This has become my Saturday morning tea because it is such a treat, and I like being able to sit and really enjoy all of the flavors. Also, this pairs exceptionally well with a veggie omelet.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Fjellrev

Nice, I ought to try it already. My pouch has been sitting around unopened for a while. :)

Veronica

Yes, try it! You can thank me later. ;-)

I did 1/2 tsp of this in a 12 oz mug this morning, and just left it. Screwed the strainer screen into the lid, and have sipped and refilled all day.

This tea has performed amazingly. It’s stayed sweet and thick, not getting astringent at all. Only a hint of bitterness after 4 hours – the point where it was cool enough to try!

I think I actually do have to get more of this one. I’ll be running through my sample pack in short order now that I know I can do this. It’s just so perfect for at work, or being on the go. Boiling water, cool water, random times, and as long as I keep topping it up before it’s 1/2 full, the flavour just goes and goes.

It’d be super fun in a glass container, because the leaves unfurl like holy wow. So pretty.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more

This tea is really amazing…as a blind test, one could never tell 100g sells for under $10! For real, what a bargain ratio.

It’s a sweet Yunnan, full bodied. It offers plenty of cocoa and honey, with earhty undertones, vague smoky notes emerge here and there. It reminds me of a milder keemun from Teavivre.

The leaves are more curls than what we usually call pearls. Cute nuggets that you can steep at least three times Western style. I made a gigantic pot tonight using my new Scandinavian pot and matching cup (Shelley if you’re reading, you know what I mean, lol)

I treated myself with so many good teas today, I feel fully satisfied!

keychange

I’ve added this to my shopping list now!

TheTeaFairy

oh, if you order, I really hope you like it miss Keychange :-)

Dexter

LOL I have this – should move it up the list of teas I should try soon.

TheTeaFairy

Dexter: just open it and have it, what are you waiting for?

Dexter

Ummm I have over a 100 other teas in my house I haven’t tried… can’t get to all of them at once. Like I said should move it up the list. :))

This tea is getting a little old but is still very nice. The dry tea is a dark bilochun style nugget with some lighter brown notes and a few golden tips present. It smells very sweet of honey and cocoa. This tea remains quite sweet and retains it’s honey cocoa grainy malt notes throughout its steeping. Like others have noted it is quite a forgiving tea.

After a rinse and a one minute steep I had a deep maple colour brew with a scent of cocoa, honey and grainy malt. It tastes of honey, cocoa, a barley grain note, and aslfalfa with malt more present as it cools.

I steeped it again for 80, 110, 180, and 300s. The tea became slightly sweeter in the later brews with the malt rising in the early ones than blending more evenly with the other flavours a slightly nutty note appeared as well. Altogether a nice honeyed, cocoa tea with grainy, nutty notes. Quite enjoyable.