Phoenix Pearl

Chocolate, Malt, Cocoa, Caramel, Tobacco, Baked Bread, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Erin Williams

2 Images

From Zen Tea

Naturally sweet and smooth with a touch of earthiness. Expertly rolled into a pearl-like shape.

Hailing from the Yunnan province, this Phoenix Pearl is naturally sweet and smooth with a touch of earthiness. Comprised of only the highest quality leaves and buds, expertly rolled into a pearl-like shape. Subtle cocoa notes whisper gently as each pearl unfurls delivering a superior tea experience not to be missed. Recomended to steep 2-3 times for different nuances of flavor.

Price: $10 / 100g
Ingredients : Black tea from Yunnan, China
Preparation(1 cup) : 3min, 1 teaspoon, 90C(194F)

About Zen Tea View company

Backlog…didn’t really look like pearls much, and I found the flavour lacking, by comparison to other black pearl teas like Teavivre’s Fengquing Dragon Pearls. Those were rich, this was thin. Maybe it was my brew. I have more sample from Cavocorax so maybe a steeping down the road will yield a better brew.

I’ve seen cocoa in tasting notes for black teas many a time, but none of the others, besides this tea, have really delivered for me. The cocoa flavors and sweetness hit you with the first brew and continue on throughout subsequent infusions, carrying a warm ceylon cinnamon body taste with subtle hints of licorice. There’s no real signs of major astringency, even brewing gaiwan style, holding a good flavor for 8 infusions if not more. Overall this tea has been another really positive experience in my foray into Yunnan black teas, with it being in one of the best in comparison to the others I have tried.

205 °F / 96 °C

When I first took a sip of this, while still very hot, I wasn’t in love. There was some flavor there that I wasn’t digging. But once it cools off a bit, the cocoa notes really came through! This is so delicious, so smooth and lightly sweet and chocolaty and with a little bit of a caramel hint to it. Resteeping, even more cocoa notes, and slightly more sweeter. I loved the way the flavor slowly transforms, yet holds up after 3 resteeps. I need to see how many steeps I can get out of this one. And I’m kicking myself for only buying 20g! I need to get more!

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

My recent purchase from Zen Tea. Actually this tea is the main reason I placed an order . i really like this tea. I made it gongfu style.
1TBSP 150ml gaiwan 205F
rinse/10/15/20/30/45sec etc
this tea is wonderful malty,chocolaty some grains. Like brownie if you add some sugar. No sugar for me, i prefer to drink it without additives. if you a fan of Laoshan Black by Verdant tea i think you would like this tea as well.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

yyz

I do like this one as well. I don’t drink it as often as I should.

Virginia

Buying this. Right now. Lol

TheTeaFairy

Glad you liked it :-) did you get your new Yixing as well?

boychik

Yes, it’s beautiful, better than on a pic. I didn’t season yet. Long weekend, full house;)

boychik

Guess what, i seasoned my new pot with shu. David Duckler youtube video is very helpful. So easy.

This brews up a dark brownish amber colour with a nice grainy type aroma.

Tastes honey sweet with malt, grains and cocoa, and perhaps the very slightest earthiness.
Re-steeped well.

This was my first order from Zen Tea and I am quite pleased to have this delicious tea in my cupboard!

One of my new favorites. This one stands out as unique without overpowering or seeming fake at all. I am in love with this tea. I usually don’t like cocoa notes much but this one is right on. I saw a review earlier that said there is something cozy about this tea, and they are so right. It has a certain indescribable quality. I just ordered a big bag after having two samples – so delicious, cannot wait for my order to arrive. Stunning tea that will be a staple in my kitchen.

Flavors: Cocoa

3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

TTB&C #5

This TTB may end up proving a bad thing for my tea budget. So far I have LOVED every tea i have tried. It will be a struggle to convince myself that I can live without xyz tea for awhile. This is yet another one that I did a very big happy dance when I pulled it out of the box. After I had placed my order with Zen Tea in Feb I saw a discussion mentioning this tea as a must try from Zen, and of course it was not in my order.

This tea is AMZAING! Sweet, rich, chocolaty, malty. It is a cup I could curl up too, but it also tastes like it would rock your socks off iced with lemon. There is quite a bit of this tea left so I think I might indulge in 2 cups! I haven’t looked into the origin of this tea, but Thank you to whoever included it!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

they have sale now 30%

TeaTiff

I did see their sale today, but I did JUST order from them 2 months ago. When my EGC starts getting low I will definitely be placing another order and this one will be on it for sure.

looseTman

Ooh Aah!

Oh My Goodness!! This is a tasty treat to start my day. Rich, sweet flavours. A hint of tobacco. Some grain. Perfect, because I’m too lazy to make breakfast right now, so this will do until I can get my lazy self off the couch.

Thanks Dexter!! This is sooooo goooood.

T&C TTB 4/23

I like unflavored black tea but I still have a hard time picking out and describing the different notes. If you told me a year ago I would be drinking hot black tea I would have told you “Your crazy black tea is for iced tea”. With that said I enjoyed this cup of black tea that for now until my palate improves, taste like naturally sweet iced tea but hot.

Thanks Nicole for setting this box up and sharing your tea!

Couldn’t make this pop up in the search bar (even after hitting enter) so I searched my cupboard for it, and while doing so found a Butiki blend that I no longer have but which wasn’t removed from my cupboard apparently, so now I’m at 196/198! Yay!

Anyway, I did get around to resteeping the leaves, and I must say I think I like the resteep a bit better; it still has a little malt to it, but the chocolate/caramel notes are much more present and intense, and there’s a very faint baked bread taste. However, at the end of my cup this started to get bitter and gross.

Despite liking the resteep more I wont push for a third resteep ; I’m not really feeling this one too much now. Two cups today was enough to hold me over for at least a little while. Definitely need to be moving on to something fruitier for my next cup, though!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Chocolate, Malt