Shui Hsien Organic Oolong

Oolong Tea
Flowers, Hay, Malt, Smoke, Toasted, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Cavocorax

• “I made this and H&S’s Florence this morning and thought I’d better drink this one first before my taste buds were corrupted by nommy flavoured tea. I wasn’t sure about this...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1738 tasting notes
  • “This was a free sample that came with my Xmas order. :) :) :) I don’t usually go for oolongs overmuch, but this was great & hit the spot this morning. Trying to cut back on coffee.” Read full tasting note
    Ozli 299 tasting notes
  • “A Gong Fu favourite that I am steeping Western style for a change. Not sure if that is pure insanity, but right now I feel like a large pot of tea to use with my pot warmer. The raw leaves are:...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1220 tasting notes
  • “Sample size. This is nice, especially after heavy lunch. Roasted oolong, chestnuts, subtle sweetness. Would be perfect if they serve it in Chinese restaurant, many times tea is just gross there....” Read full tasting note
    boychik 425 tasting notes

From Zen Tea

Shui hsien(Shui Xian) is a very popular variety of Oolong tea and one of the common favorites among Gong Fu tea drinkers.

Shui Hsien oolongs are often harvested from Camellia sinensis trees that are over 100 years old in Fujian province of China. After harvest the leaves are skillfully twisted and roasted over a charcoal fire.
It has a soft, roasted, straw-like taste with a nutty aroma.
It is often brewed in the Gong Fu style, using multiple brief infusions.
Shui Hsien(Shui Xian, 水仙) meaning narcissus or water sprite.

Ingredients: Shui hsien oolong from Fujian, China
Preparation(1 cup): 1.5 teaspoon, 2-3 minutes, 90C(194F)

About Zen Tea View company

I wasn’t sure about this one, but figured it’s a sample and a quick sipdown so why not get on it? And it’s great! Why do I always forget how great non-black teas are?

This really smells like honey, and it’s sweet, and tastes a bit like straw and grass. This is really gentle and delicious. It’s also a little toasy! I immediately want 4 more cups!

I’ll have to re-order this from Zen or somewhere else!

Indigobloom

How was the second steep?

Indigobloom

How was the second steep?

Cavocorax

Just as good! I could have kept going with it but work got in the way!

Indigobloom

Hmmm why did that double post!
Oooh that happens to me alot. Makes me appreciate those times when I can keep going even more :D

The raw leaves are: long and flat with light twists and stems present, dark brown/red brown in colour and bares a toasted hay and floral scent.

Once steeped the tea liquor is burnt orange, it has a toasted hay, floral and malt scent, somewhat matching it’s raw form.

Strength is medium. I can taste toasted flowers and earth, sweet malt, wood and a subtle hint of smoke. It is rather mellow and smooth, with each flavour blending in well together to create a toasted and earthy mist in my mouth that lingers.

As it cools it becomes a little sour though remains consistent in flavour and strength. Also slightly dry now in the after taste.

Overall: It’s very pleasant, reminds me a little of Oriental Beauty Oolong but more mild. The flavours were pure and quality of the leaves were nice. However, my taste of darker Oolongs such as this one comes from comparison and this will unfortunately not be memorable. I’m also aware it could be down to the steeping, as it did mention to fare well from Gongfu Steeps.

Flavors: Flowers, Hay, Malt, Smoke, Toasted, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 30 OZ / 900 ML

Sample size. This is nice, especially after heavy lunch. Roasted oolong, chestnuts, subtle sweetness. Would be perfect if they serve it in Chinese restaurant, many times tea is just gross there. I liked it.
Resteep was good and I decided to add tiny amt of maple syrup. Worked perfectly taming charcoal flavor.

3 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Oh wow! exam tomorrow…. how do i do this quickly?

gong show week.
nevermind, gong show semester.
bought some zen teas because i’ve had to drop my caffeine… tried a chamomile blend? baaaaaaaaad call!
but they threw this is as a sample.
it’s amazing.

if my exam is half as amazing i’ll be very very happy!
BYE!

__Morgana__

Good luck!

xoxo thank you!!!! =0)

OMGsrsly

Fingers crossed!

JustJames

what would i do without you guys?

OMGsrsly

Go out on the street and wait for… umm, politely demand people to wish you luck, duh. ;)

JustJames

just wait til i’m at liberty to tell you about the nonsense that’s gone on this semester; suffice to say it provides incentive to NEVER let myself fall under the management of a person like this. double doctorate all the way— even if i lose my mind doing it.

you won’t believe my story…

boychik

Good luck

yyz

Good luck James!!! I kind of cringe for you. Please make sure that you are taking care of yourself. Glad your heading towards the end of the semester.

JustJames

thank you!!! me too, yyz. sadly, i can’t wait until this semester is over =0(. truly… can someone hit fast forward?

caile