Black tea-Keemun Finest

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman

• “The first time I had this tea, the smokiness that I usually associate with keemuns eluded me. I couldn't find it. What I do recall from the first cup was the fruitiness that came...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 240 tasting notes
  • “This is a sample I got with Zen Tea Life sale. There is nothing I can add to *looseTman* review. He nailed it perfectly. Some plum, some wine, a little of tobacco, smokiness is subtle. This...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 408 tasting notes
  • “This morning, I’m very pleased to review Keemun Finest from Zen Tea Life, Western style: 8 oz. / 1 heaping tsp. (3.5 g) / 208*F / 3 min. without sweeteners, milk, or cream. *Intro*.: My 1-kg...” Read full tasting note
    looseTman 116 tasting notes
  • “Fine, dark brown dry leaf that smells a bit earthy with dry plum, which becomes more pronounced when wet. There is possibly a hint of smokiness in the scent as well. Brews a nice medium...” Read full tasting note
    caile 196 tasting notes

From Zen Tea

“Finest smooth & smoky Keemun with a discrete finesse and particularly smooth, slight sweet taste. A treasured tea from southern Anhui Province, Keemun is grown and produced near the famous HuangShan mountains. This selection represents one of the finest grades available, boasting a velvety mouth feel and subtle notes of cocoa, leather, dried plum and wet earth. Light brown, radiant infusion colour.

Origin: Anhui, China
Harvest: April, 2013
Preparation: 3 min, 98C (208F), 1 heaping tsp / 8 oz cup"

About Zen Tea View company

The first time I had this tea, the smokiness that I usually associate with keemuns eluded me. I couldn’t find it. What I do recall from the first cup was the fruitiness that came through.

Today’s cup is different. I took my time and paid attention. The fruit note was still predominant, but I found those subtle tobacco and smoke notes. They came through at the end of the sip and sat on the tongue for a bit before disappearing. Interesting.

I have a couple of keemuns in my cupboard that I need to taste to see how this compares. I haven’t had keemun in a while. When I finally found the tobacco notes I enjoyed that, although I wish there was a touch more smoke.

My thanks to looseTman for providing me with a sample!

This is a sample I got with Zen Tea Life sale.
There is nothing I can add to looseTman review. He nailed it perfectly. Some plum, some wine, a little of tobacco, smokiness is subtle.
This tea is completely different fr Spring Keemun by A&D or Pine Keemun by Wispering Pines.
Very nice afternoon cup. I think I love my Yunnan blacks more. But it’s like comparing apples and oranges. Still want to try Teavivre’s offerings to make up my mind. No rating since I’m exploring .

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
looseTman

Thanks, that’s very kind of you!

mrmopar

He is pretty good!

looseTman

You both made my day! Happy July 4th weekend!

boychik

Happy 4th of July to you too. I’m going to watch fireworks, they decided to do it tonight in our community in Pocono ;)

God Bless America

mrmopar

+1 looseTman and all of us on here also.

TheTeaFairy

I agree with everything that was said in this thread :-)
Just love you guys!!

MzPriss

The reason Steepster is so incredibly awesome is that it is populated by awesome people!

boychik

I can’t say better than all of you people!

looseTman

+1 mrmopar: “God Bless America” and Steepster!
Terri HarpLady: Back at you :)
We love you too TheTeaFairy!
Agreed MzPriss: Steepster people are awesome people!
What a mutual admiration society!
boychick, you started it all!

Intro.: My 1-kg Premium Keemun Hao Ya stash from TeaVivre was very joyfully consumed a while ago now. :- ( :- ( :- ( I’ve been waiting for their next sale to reorder and am suffering from Keemun withdraw! In my experience to date, no other black tea is quite like a Keemun! Then along came an email from Kenneth Son of Zen Tea Life telling me he was going to be offering a new Keemun that he thought was superior to his current one. Needless to say, I was curious. When his May sale arrived, I could not resist! I purchased 200 g without sampling it first, which is very unlike me. But you have to understand, I’ve been Keemun-less for a while now and it was a good sale. I also suspected that this Keemun may have been sourced from the same supplier as a Keemun that used to be offered by Butiki – a highly regarded and favorite Steepster supplier. Would I regret sampling a new Keemun with a 200 gram package???

Leaf: A mix of thick & thin twisted dark chocolate-brown leaves 1.3 cm or less .
Fragrance: Potent, very fine-quality rich pipe tobacco – YUM! Quite a surprise for a Keemun!
Liquor: Clear, dark copper
Aroma: YUM – this is something different! A touch of Keemun smokiness blended with fine-quality rich pipe tobacco. Take a moment to deeply inhale it over & over.
Flavor: Keemun with a subtle winey character

3-min: A thick, rich, full-bodied, extremely smooth and mellow juicy Keemun with zero astringency or bitterness. On the first sip, it has a subtle winey character compared with my regular Keemun – heavier on the bass. But keep sipping! As the winey flavor gradually builds with each sip, this Keemun is so warm, relaxing, and satisfying. Oh my! In the infamous words of Meg Ryan, “Yes! Yes! Yes!”

Re-Steep:
4.5-min: Light to medium bodied
6-min: Light to medium bodied

Impression: A thick, rich, full-bodied, extremely smooth and mellow juicy Keemun. This black tea is very enjoyable and highly recommended for any time of day, especially for Keemun-lovers who might enjoy a unique Keemun experience. Sometimes in life, you just have to go for it, and in this case, I’m glad I did.

Thanks to Kenneth Son of Zen Tea Life for recommending this unique and excellent Keemun.

Method:RO water re-mineralized with an Aptera filter http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/39532-puregen-aptera-alkamag-water-filter
Brewed western-style conveniently in a tea mug with a brew basket http://steepster.com/teaware/royal-albert/45581-old-country-roses-afternoontea-mugs

3 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Gotta love Meg!

TheTeaFairy

Great review as always! I didn’t notice that Zen Tea offered a new Keemun. I quite enjoy the other one they have, it’s very light in smoke. I shall give this one a try eventually. Glad it turned out this way so you can fully appreciate your 200g :-)

looseTman

Thanks TheTeaFairy! Me too! Now if the re-steep was nearly as full-bodied as the first cup …

boychik

I got myself 20g of this tea. I have to try.

boychik

Wonderful review. I really like that your reviews are to the point.

Thanks boychik!

Terri HarpLady

I do enjoy Keemun teas, & the variety of flavor profiles they can have. Most of them don’t seem to resteep all that well, unless you’re going with really short gongfu steepings. This one sounds tasty!

looseTman

Thanks, good point! I’ll have to try TeaVivre’s Western Steep recommendations for their Premium Keemun (5g / 1, 2, 3 Min.) with this one.

Charissa

Great review! I haven’t had any Keemun in a long while…almost forgotten what it tastes like. Your note about this tea makes me want to buy it!

Thanks Charissa!

looseTman

5g / 1, 2, 3 min. is sub-optimal for this Keemun.

You tried it then?

Yes, I did.

Brews a nice medium brown.
Tastes sweet with cocoa and plum, and there is a wee bit of earthiness. I do not detect much smokiness when drinking, but possibly the leather as in the description. Smooth and enjoyable!

A very nice tea and I re-steeped it once for just as delicious a cup.
Now I wish I had also ordered the other keemun that zen tea has so I could compare them, but perhaps next time.

looseTman

Caile, How does this Keemun compare to others you’ve tasted?

caile

I think I’ve only had two others which were from Teavivre – the superfine and the premium ones – and although it is hard to remember since I don’t have them in stock right now, I feel like I liked those better. I am planning to order the superfine (and possibly the premium as well) :)

Understood. Thanks!