Pouchong (Bao Zhong)

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by momo

From ZenTea

Pouchong tea spelled “Bao Zhong” today is the mostly oxidized oolong. It has an extra bold open leaf style. It is between a black and oolong tea, with a slightly smokey taste.

About ZenTea View company

Sampled a little bit of this today – it was pretty good. Just a hint of black pepper taste – or perhaps – smoke? Very faint, tho, regardless.

Interesting thing happened to me on my lunch walk today. Got chased by a duck! Posted them on instagram. LOL

oooh, what’s your instagram nick? (I am ozliotters, but I spam a lot.)

Haha. That sounds crazy!

RUUUUUUUUNNN!!!!! I bought a pillow for my best friend once that read, “Raising children is like being pecked to death by a duck.” LOL! She has always had a thing for ducks and was having twin boys, so I thought it was appropriate. ;)

from Traveling Tea Box B
i love black oolongs. i’ve known this for a long time. i like green oolongs too. basically i like oolongs.
too bad i oversteeped it when a professor came in to talk to me about his running.
but i saved it’s yummy happy face of tea by adding more hot water.
all is right with the world.

Nice save!

I think I’m not a huge fan of oxidized oolong teas. They just don’t seem like “real” oolongs to my tastes. This one has a nice caramell-y malty kind of flavor but it falls much closer to a black for the mood I was in.
I’m getting metal aftertaste flavors on this tea.
While I didn’t care for this much, it was exactly like it was described – If you like more roasty oolongs this might be for you.

Bao Zhongs/Pouchongs are usually very very light oolongs, but there are a few darker ones with the same name… kind of weird!

So after my immediate love of Golden Moon’s Coconut Pouchong, I really wanted an unflavored one. I always thought it was more like a green-oolong hybrid but ZenTea’s site says black-oolong…hm.
The leaves look really oxidized, like a black, so I was confused because I’ve always seen pouchong being the least oxidized oolong. But they turned pretty green upon use, and the tea infuses to a nice peachy color.
So I made this tea a photo album because it was that confusing for me, the comparison picture is it next to the Coconut Pouchong: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thethrillstheyyield/sets/72157629252803537/with/6849744731/

I did 4 or 5 infusions in my gaiwan and I still have no idea how to describe this. (Yeah you’d think I counted but I am on the verge of freaking out in joy at all moments right now so counting didn’t happen.)

It was interesting. There was almost a sort of tangy flavor to it on the first two. Like beyond that I really have no idea how to even describe what I just tasted because it was like combining oolong, black, and green teas all in one.

But I liked it so that’s what matters.

This is from Traveling Tea Box B. I finally got around to trying it out. I love oxidized oolongs. Actually, I love all kinds of oolong teas. This one was difficult to brew just because so many things were going on in my house. In the end, I brewed it for a minute and it was delicious! I wish I could have made several steepings out of this, but once Western style was enough. I love the dark cocoa/caramel tones in this tea mixed with sweetness. The brew was a honey gold color. Good tea overall! :)

Tried this one yesterday evening, unsweetened. It smelled and tasted of toasted walnuts: a hint of bitterness, but mostly just slightly smoky and a lot delicious. :) I enjoyed it, but I do prefer my oolongs to be not quite so dark. My husband would probably have loved this one, so perhaps I’ll buy it for him as a present sometime. :3