Coconut Chai

Black Chai Blend
Cinnamon, Coconut, Cloves, Nutmeg
Edit tea info Last updated by Azzrian

• “Yep, this one's still a great chai for drinking straight! The aroma is of a perfectly blended spiced chai, with a definite cardamom aroma being the most present, yet not overwhelming. In spite of...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “I haven't had this one in an age! I pulled it out because I'm studying for my final (which is in 2 hours eeeeee) and I needed something warm, comforting, caffeinated and completely unfussy to...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “After reading Jacqueline's note about how delicious this was with milk and sugar, I decided I just had to have it that way today. The cream really smoothes out the taste and brings out the...” Read full tasting note
    Dragonwellluvr 558 tasting notes
  • “5 minutes of steeping = WOW COCONUT! This is so good. So coconutty, and the chai itself is really lovely. I'm having it with a big teaspoon of honey, and milk. I totally recommend this one.” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1163 tasting notes

From Zhena's Gypsy Tea

Finest quality ceylon tea blended with cardamom, ginger, and clove.

A robust and full flavored Black Tea accented with exotic imperial spices. The bold concentrated character of this lush black tea lends itself well to the full notes of cardamom, ginger and clove. The sweet hint of tropical coconut fragrantly fills the cup, offering an inviting taste of paradise to savor from any spot on the map. Delicious with a splash of milk. A bright and flavorful steep. Sunglasses not included.

About Zhena's Gypsy Tea View company

So without thinking, I dropped 2 sachets into a pot of milk and water and let it simmer away for a few minutes.

I take a sip. SPICY. My initial reaction was just “ooh gurl no” until I realized this stuff must be potent enough not to need to be doubled for this preparation. Although I think maybe I’d use 2 for 12 oz of liquid. So I filled my mug with more milk and microwaved it for 20 seconds to get it warm again.

I’m kind of disappointed this doesn’t actually contain any coconut. So it doesn’t really taste like coconut…it doesn’t even smell like coconut.

However I can drink this chai! It has more of a well rounded group of spices compared to the only other chai I have right now…the very clove-y one. But this one is peppery too, and I can taste cardamom and cinnamon and nutmeg and everything. Just…no coconut.

I’m even using coconut milk in here but it’s one that never really imparts a flavor, so there’s no use relying on it. Booooo. I’ll definitely be on the lookout now for a coconut chai that contains some legitimate coconut flakes.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

MINE! MINEMINEMINE! New version = cocococococococonutty!

momo

Hahaha well you’ve convinced me!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:D Now I’m craving it. Time to brew!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Oh man, this is coconut FLAVORED? Yuck.

momo

WHOA whoa whoa I’m finally on a computer, yours I can get as a yerba mate too!?? Jeez I need to get home now.

And yeah. Flavor. It tastes of no coconut.

Lynxiebrat

I would love to try a coconut chai, I mean with coconut flavor. hopefully not imitation tasting though.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

:) yes, you can get mate AND rooibos and they are all heavenly coconutty :)

Lynxiebrat

Havn’t had the guts to try Mate yet, I’m afraid it would taste to much like coffee, which I hate and cannot drink anyways.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

AHH! NOOO, Mate tastes nothing like coffee! DOOOO IT!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

^ At least green maté doesn’t. I haven’t had roasted maté yet so I’m not sure about that.

After reading Meghann M’s and JacquelineM’s reviews of this, I decided I had to try it. I made a semi-unexpected trip to Louisville yesterday, and stopped in World Market whilst there (really, I couldn’t not stop, could I?). I picked up a tin of this and some other teas.

It’s not nearly as spicy as I was expecting/fearing (I do that with all chais, yes, I need to stop). The coconut flavor isn’t overwhelming, but is definitely there and blends well with the spices. I think I might like Adagio’s Thai Chai a bit better, but I really like that this is in bags. It’s destined to become my work-chai because of that.

I think I’ll try it at 5 minutes next time…let’s see how strong the spice can get.

Auggy

Mmm. Thai Chai.

thanks VariaTEA!

this was very cool! like a coconut spice cake…. i erred too much on the side of caution and understeeped. sigh. i tried to resteep…. i think i really like this, but i can’t tell because of operator error- argh!

based half way on what i tasted and half way with what i think would of happened i will number-ify-y-y.

really! not bad for a bagged tea! most of them i taste paper, not in this case! =0)

=0( don’t do a three minute steep.

Yvonne

Sounds delicious!

Cavocorax

Oh no – that’s too bad about the understeeping, but how could you have known? I hope you have another one to “get it right” with.

And it seems like this one is in the ‘quite good for a bagged tea’ category! I’ve had a few people get that impression, so next time I hit the pharmacy I will take a look.

Oh. No, I’d better not. (Just took a look at my overflowing tea shelf!)

VariaTEA

Oh no. I am sorry I was only able to send one for you to try. Well, even with operator error, it seems as though you liked it so yay ?

I believe it was you, Ashmanra who sent me this beaute! thank you for the generous sample!!
Just a quick note today. I am so sleepy…
This one is strong boy! whew. Not for the faint of heart. but it is good. Heavy on the coconut, and spices… it has tons of flavour. and caffeine to.
However… Because of the in-yo-face factor, I think I really need to be in the mood, which I was when I had my cuppas :)
Also, it’s very sweet on it’s own. No sugar added! I guess that is the coconut’s fault huh!
Thanks again Ashmanra
Rating: 83

momo

I swear I saw you say somewhere that you are picky about chais? Or maybe I have gotten confused with someone else but I have been thinking about getting this one to try.

Indigobloom

yup that was me! I seem to get lucky with coconut chais.
It reminds me of another one I have… only stronger. From Tealish.

Indigobloom

I could send you some if you want!

momo

Let me see if I can find this one in a store first, there are at least two chains that carry Zhena’s, and if there’s no luck there I’ll let you know!

Helena

here’s a link for the chai latte mix they make and thru it their website :D

Indigobloom

Sounds good Amanda! I’m always up for a swap :)
Helena: thanks for the tip!! good to know for when I run out

Helena

It sounded very interesting so I had to check it out :D of course I spent all my money on Butiki Teas and Verdant Tea so no trying anything new for awhile :D

Full review – tomorrow – April 1st on http://sororiteasisters.com/ but here are snippits:

A big THANK YOU to Marcel Duchamp for this sample!

I really have to be in the mood for a chai. Coconut Chai Tea from Zhena’s Gypsy Tea was really calling to me today. Sent to me from a Steepster.com friend, and I am happy for it, I am sipping a yummy chai with a nice hint at coconut, and a slight taste of vanilla. No vanilla is listed in the ingredients but I taste it nonetheless. Must be how the coconut gives the tea a light milky and nutty flavor combined with the typical spices in chai. Regardless, I am really enjoying this chai from Zhena’s.

I will say if you are expecting a really coconutty tea, this isn’t it. Honestly I would not mind a bit more coconut flavor myself, but I am satisfied with it being lightly flavored.

Marcel Duchamp

I’m glad you like some of the samples so far :-) I always enjoy reading your reviews.

This is probably one of my favorites from Zhena’s, and I just noticed that they have a new green coconut chai… may have to look for it the next time I’m in Whole Foods!

This is yummy. I like that it has a latte feel to it without adding milk – the coconut makes it creamy and rich tasting. Delicious, warm, spicy… and warming me up on this cold afternoon!

My last of this tea! sniffles
Went a little crazy and made it with the flavia milky way swirl packet and some white granular sugar

delicious

Rabs

Looks like you sent this one off with honors :)

AmazonV

it was a spicy myan chocolate chai ish drink, with caramel, nom nom, gotta make the most of that last cup :)

Not too sound tooooo much like a snob here, but I was not expecting this much flavour from a bagged tea!

It’s robust and spicy without being in your face about it, and the coconut is fantastic even with the faint sunscreen association I have with coconut.

Thanks Incendiare for the sample!

ssssipdown! (125)

OMGsrsly

Ooh, I should have some of this one. It`s perfect latte weather.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

I’ve really enjoyed any Zhena’s Gypsy Tea I’ve tried!

Ozli

I’m so intrigued by this – I loved their egyptian mint (I think?) and raspberry earl grey, back when I lived in Vic – ttly grabbing some next I see Zhena’s anywhere…

Fjellrev

Decent for a bagged tea for sure haha.

Backlogging from the weekend

I had this with a dab of chocolate ice cream. I have heard other people say ice cream is good in tea and they were right! This was so amazing!! It tastes like one of those 7 layer dessert bars with coconut, chocolate, graham crackers and caramel. Mmmmm so good. Will definitely repeat!!!

Jaime

Oh, my…

I’ve been trying to get in a few coconut chais here and there, and this one so far has been my favourite. I’m always extra impressed because it’s a bagged tea too. The creaminess and spiciness work so well together here. A chai I can get on board with. I’ve only got 2 teabags left, but I picked this up at a store just down the street. Easily accessible teas are awesome.

Also, I just cleaned both my infusers with Bar Keepers Friend and heyo! They look better than new.

My address labels are in! I send out so many packages, not just to you guys, but to friends and family at home too, and my street name is so long. I’m so excited to try them out! I’m getting packages ready for Stephanie and Sil, so you guys will be the first to see them. :)

OMGsrsly

Where do you find your Bar Keepers Friend? I’ve been looking for it for ages, and thought it wasn’t available in Canada!

Courtney

Canadian Tire haha! I checked their website because you can see which stores have it in stock. :)

Awesome! :)

ZOMG. All my pots are going to be SO SPARKLY. :D

Courtney

Haha ours are! And now my infusers are too!