Chocolate Chai

Herbal Rooibos Blend
Chocolate, Cinnamon
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

• “Had a nice night sipping this spicy, warming cup and watching Dead Poets Society - thank you gmathis for a reminder to see that again ♥ I really love this tisane - the carob and chicory...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Since JacquelineM is always raving about Zhena's red chais, I picked this one up when I came across it. This is surprisingly decadent and it actually tastes like a rich cup of hot chocolate with a...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1011 tasting notes
  • “*JacquelineM* sent me some of this. I've been wanting to try it for ages, but didn't get it because of my now-very-silly-seeming fear of chai. Steeped for 10 minutes (my standard rooibos steep...” Read full tasting note
    Madmama 902 tasting notes
  • “Yummmmehs! So I participated in a tea swap, you may have seen the thread in Discussions - http://gussyingupthetuttle.blogspot.com/2011/08/3rd-annual-tea-trade.html I got this tea, and a bunch of...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes

From Zhena's Gypsy Tea

Our Harvest Herb Teas are bountiful blends of fresh, hand-harvested herbs, wildcrafted flowers, choicest fruits, leaves and spices, all USDA Certified Organic and Fair Trade Certified™. Each cup will delight the senses and will have you hearing leaves crunching underfoot and smelling the scent of wood smoke wafting the chill air. Amber moon on the horizon not included.

Each Tin contains 22 single-serving sachets made from round, natural, environmentally kind, hemp paper.

Ingredients:
From the Cedarberg Mountain Region of South Africa comes this superior grade, caffeine-free organic Rooibos, blended with the rich, exotic taste of Mediterranean carob and the zest of ginger and cinnamon bark. Chicory and licorice root, round out this delicious thick, warming cup. Wonderful with a splash of milk.

Caocao powder, rooibos, cinnamon, chicory root roasted, ginger, chocolate flavoring, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, shortbread flavoring, orange peel, pepper.

About Zhena's Gypsy Tea View company

Had a nice night sipping this spicy, warming cup and watching Dead Poets Society – thank you gmathis for a reminder to see that again ♥

I really love this tisane – the carob and chicory and licorice root make it interesting and unlike any of my other chais. Surprisingly chocolatey for no chocolate! A real treat with a little honey and a splash of milk. Yay Zhena!

gmathis

Carpe diem, O captain, my captain!

JacquelineM

Weep weep weep weep weep! Oh the waterworks at the end! My husband had to wipe his eyes too. I live right near where Walt Whitman lived and I also go visit his grave every now and again. He likes flowers from my garden the best – Holly bush with a bow will do in the winter. :) I think I’m due a visit.

gmathis

A friend of mine lives near the college where it was filmed. Would love to stroll the grounds.

JacquelineM

I was shocked when I heard it was in Delaware! I pegged it for a New England town for sure. I should look up where exactly it was filmed and go in the Fall – those leaves and meadows were breathtaking.

Since JacquelineM is always raving about Zhena’s red chais, I picked this one up when I came across it. This is surprisingly decadent and it actually tastes like a rich cup of hot chocolate with a few spices. I’m really glad that the licorice root isn’t super noticeable and the ginger is just right to add to the warmth of the cup. I am super happy with this purchase – in fact, I’m on my second cup of it right now! Thanks to JacquelineM for the good, as always, recommendation!

JacquelineM sent me some of this. I’ve been wanting to try it for ages, but didn’t get it because of my now-very-silly-seeming fear of chai.

Steeped for 10 minutes (my standard rooibos steep time). It’s very nice…smooth and spicy, without too much heat. Just enough chocolate to give you a chocolate fix.

Thanks so much, JacquelineM! I’ll definitely have to get more of this when my cupboard is under control!!

Boiling 8 min or more

Yummmmehs!

So I participated in a tea swap, you may have seen the thread in Discussions – http://gussyingupthetuttle.blogspot.com/2011/08/3rd-annual-tea-trade.html

I got this tea, and a bunch of Zhena samplers, and a sweet Chinese cold & flu tea! So I am happeee! I can’t wait to respond back to my secret trader with a thank you package :)

Ah good times.

This tea is lovely. I am not one to turn down an intriguing bagged tea, and this one does not disappoint. It has a similar smell of ManTeas Mayan Chocolate Chai, but without the cayenne, which is great because I’ve been looking for a chocolate chai with a little less… throat on fire. haha!

The taste is a bit mellow, but I can dig that. I like that it’s rooibos and I’m having it at night, and it’s PERFECT with a splash of chocolate almond milk.

Happy lady here.

Edit:: So I’ve really been toying around with the idea of hosting a monthly secret-santa style tea swap, with a different theme every month. Do you think monthly is too often? Maybe a seasonal trade, 4 times a year? I LOVE the organization of events like this, but I wonder if I could get enough membership. Heck, even 5 people is enough for me. Any takers?

LiberTEAS

I’d be interested in the swap. :)

SimplyJenW

Considering it. Seasonal would be better.

Dinosara

There’s a thread on the discussions that was just started by TheDJBooth (“Trick or Treat Tea”) about a possible halloween swap… I think you would possibly get takers for a seasonal swap if you posted on the discussions. I’d probably be in too!

Angrboda

I think monthly would be too much. Four times a year or just every second month sounds better to me. I might sign up for something liek that, but probably not every time.

DaisyChubb

Thanks guys! Yes, I agree monthly would be way too much – the teas probably wouldn’t even have reached their destination by then! :D Thanks very much for your input, I’m definitely going to consider this in the new year, because there will probably be a secret santa swap in the mean time, plus a possible halloween one like you said Dino, but I will keep it on the burner. Oh yes. :D

SimpliciTEA

I’m interested in doing a seasonal swap, also.

DaisyChubb

Noted :) I will get something set up for sure in the coming months. Prizes and contests and tea trades oh my!

Babble

Aha! So this is where the idea was born ;)

This is the most amazing chocolate chai EVER. I bought it once at my grocery store and fell desperately in love with it. Then I went back, after devouring the tin, and discovered it was gone! Now I hoard it like nobody’s business, because I can only get it by ordering online.

I like my black tea English-style, with milk and sugar, and this tea totally recommends itself for adding a splash of cream. It’s rich and warm with a real chocolate taste and a blend of flavors that makes it perfect for curling up in the winter with a good book and a big steaming mug of it.

I have tried other chocolate teas and even other chocolate chais and they are crap compared to this one. There’s my seal of approval.

Winter Salo

Don’t you hate it when tea inexplicably disappears from shelves? My Mum’s favourite lemongrass & ginger has to be the most well hidden tea on the planet, I always manage to find it little gourmet market stalls in the middle of nowhere and that’s about it. I’m glad you managed to find this online – you’re making me so envious I’ve been very disappointed when the choc chip chais I’ve tasted and am always on the lookout for a good one.

LadyDanio

I just purchased another chocolate chai by Rishi, and I’m going to do a taste test with Zhena’s and it to see how they rank against the other. Hopefully Rishi will be a fun substitute!

Chocolate in the smell, but not in the taste. I get very little of the spices as well, although I can smell them. Mostly getting the rooibos.

a good chocolate chai.

Last night I was looking for something w/o a caffeine base, but wanted something easy as we had had a long day. I had picked this up earlier in the week when Hubby and I made a trip out of town for a little shopping. Unfortunately, we weren’t near any tea shops, but we did make it into a HomeGoods so I checked out their tea section and found a stackable set of Zhena’s Chai teas and picked up a Zhena’s Raspberry mint as well. MissB had sent me some of the coconut chai recently, and although I hadn’t tried it before this trip, I had read the reviews and was expecting a good experience with their chais. Knowing I have little opportunity to pick up great teas locally, I grabbed at the chance.

Cinnamon and chocolate are not a favorite mix of mine if you are talking dessert. My mom makes a cake that is rich & chocolatey… I’ve had others versions of the same cake with the addition of cinnamon and I’d rather just pass on them. Somehow though, it seems to work for me in tea.

I found this blend to be rich and inviting as I had wanted for something warm when we came in from the cold. We have had a couple of nice days where you just need a jacket or a sweatshirt, but last night.. cold again, Ugh! The rich chocolate paired with the spice, although not overly so, of the chai made for a nice heartwarming cup… I can see why MissB has been a fan of chocolate chai as of lately. This was a nice blend of the two and with little to no caffeine (not sure if the cocoa they use has caffeine). Glad I picked this one up.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon

I bought a sampler of Zhenas Gypsy tea a few months ago and I carry it around with me whenever I travel. Today was an especially trying travel day. I left my house at 5am and I got to the hotel in the destination city at 7pm (or 9pm in my normal time zone). So, to unwind, this seemed like the perfect option. I wouldn’t really call this chocolate chai, but it’s a nice smooth blend that doesn’t scream rooibos. Now I’m going to bed!

You know, this doesn’t really do much for me in the chocolate department. I mostly get rooibos from it. Not even really great rooibos. I’ve tried steeping it for many different lengths of time, and the spices of the chai don’t even come through very strongly. There might be a faint sort of gingery tang, but I’m really trying to perceive this. Mostly I’d say the flavoring is quite weak.

Pausing to sip and think some more ****

Maybe a touch of sweetness in addition to the rooibos? But I’m definitely trying to taste it. Maybe this tea has gotten a bit stale, but I wasn’t very impressed with it when I first opened the tin either.

Flavors: Chocolate