Chocolate Chai

Herbal Rooibos Blend
Chocolate, Cinnamon
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

• “Had a nice night sipping this spicy, warming cup and watching Dead Poets Society - thank you gmathis for a reminder to see that again ♥ I really love this tisane - the carob and chicory...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “Since JacquelineM is always raving about Zhena's red chais, I picked this one up when I came across it. This is surprisingly decadent and it actually tastes like a rich cup of hot chocolate with a...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1014 tasting notes
  • “*JacquelineM* sent me some of this. I've been wanting to try it for ages, but didn't get it because of my now-very-silly-seeming fear of chai. Steeped for 10 minutes (my standard rooibos steep...” Read full tasting note
    Madmama 902 tasting notes
  • “Yummmmehs! So I participated in a tea swap, you may have seen the thread in Discussions - http://gussyingupthetuttle.blogspot.com/2011/08/3rd-annual-tea-trade.html I got this tea, and a bunch of...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes

From Zhena's Gypsy Tea

Our Harvest Herb Teas are bountiful blends of fresh, hand-harvested herbs, wildcrafted flowers, choicest fruits, leaves and spices, all USDA Certified Organic and Fair Trade Certified™. Each cup will delight the senses and will have you hearing leaves crunching underfoot and smelling the scent of wood smoke wafting the chill air. Amber moon on the horizon not included.

Each Tin contains 22 single-serving sachets made from round, natural, environmentally kind, hemp paper.

Ingredients:
From the Cedarberg Mountain Region of South Africa comes this superior grade, caffeine-free organic Rooibos, blended with the rich, exotic taste of Mediterranean carob and the zest of ginger and cinnamon bark. Chicory and licorice root, round out this delicious thick, warming cup. Wonderful with a splash of milk.

Caocao powder, rooibos, cinnamon, chicory root roasted, ginger, chocolate flavoring, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, shortbread flavoring, orange peel, pepper.

About Zhena's Gypsy Tea View company

Last night I was looking for something w/o a caffeine base, but wanted something easy as we had had a long day. I had picked this up earlier in the week when Hubby and I made a trip out of town for a little shopping. Unfortunately, we weren’t near any tea shops, but we did make it into a HomeGoods so I checked out their tea section and found a stackable set of Zhena’s Chai teas and picked up a Zhena’s Raspberry mint as well. MissB had sent me some of the coconut chai recently, and although I hadn’t tried it before this trip, I had read the reviews and was expecting a good experience with their chais. Knowing I have little opportunity to pick up great teas locally, I grabbed at the chance.

Cinnamon and chocolate are not a favorite mix of mine if you are talking dessert. My mom makes a cake that is rich & chocolatey… I’ve had others versions of the same cake with the addition of cinnamon and I’d rather just pass on them. Somehow though, it seems to work for me in tea.

I found this blend to be rich and inviting as I had wanted for something warm when we came in from the cold. We have had a couple of nice days where you just need a jacket or a sweatshirt, but last night.. cold again, Ugh! The rich chocolate paired with the spice, although not overly so, of the chai made for a nice heartwarming cup… I can see why MissB has been a fan of chocolate chai as of lately. This was a nice blend of the two and with little to no caffeine (not sure if the cocoa they use has caffeine). Glad I picked this one up.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon

I bought a sampler of Zhenas Gypsy tea a few months ago and I carry it around with me whenever I travel. Today was an especially trying travel day. I left my house at 5am and I got to the hotel in the destination city at 7pm (or 9pm in my normal time zone). So, to unwind, this seemed like the perfect option. I wouldn’t really call this chocolate chai, but it’s a nice smooth blend that doesn’t scream rooibos. Now I’m going to bed!

You know, this doesn’t really do much for me in the chocolate department. I mostly get rooibos from it. Not even really great rooibos. I’ve tried steeping it for many different lengths of time, and the spices of the chai don’t even come through very strongly. There might be a faint sort of gingery tang, but I’m really trying to perceive this. Mostly I’d say the flavoring is quite weak.

Pausing to sip and think some more ****

Maybe a touch of sweetness in addition to the rooibos? But I’m definitely trying to taste it. Maybe this tea has gotten a bit stale, but I wasn’t very impressed with it when I first opened the tin either.

Flavors: Chocolate

Maybe I’m not brewing this tea correctly, but I found it awfully bland on its own. I prefer to use it with Stash’s Chai Spice and some creamer.

Smells like chocolate when dry and steeped. However, the cacao power is a bit too strong for me so the taste is not quite what I thought it would be. Not bad, just not that great. It seems that most chais that have rooibos are weaker than black chais.

My first experience with this tea did not go well. Something about all the different flavors made me put it down. I’m going to try it again soon, maybe with some almond milk. I want to like it!

Upped the steep time from 5 minutes to 8, still tasting a lot of great spice but not as much of the chocolate. Not sure if it needs more steeping, or if the chocolate is just more in the aroma than the taste of the tea itself.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more

First time I’ve tried a rooibos. Spices were weak, not sure how I felt about it overall, but didn’t hate it. milk did not help.

I’m admittedly new at this, but I can’t really taste anything in this tea. It smells softly chai-like and sweet after brewing, but tastes very muffled, not like anything in particular. I certainly don’t taste chocolate or spice. Maybe it’s gone off (I have no idea how old this tin is) or maybe rooibos just isn’t to my taste.

Surprisingly bland, given the rich scent in the can. I’ve tried different steep times, different temperatures, adding my own spice blends… nothing. I won’t be purchasing it again. Poor taste, no kick.