Caramel Chai Red

Chai Tea
Caramel
Edit tea info Last updated by QueenOfTarts

• “One of the ladies at work brought this tea in, and I am trying a bag, with our new..*drumroll* variable temp kettle in the office! It's the conversation starter of the week haha, it's so noisy with...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 820 tasting notes
  • “Yikes. Finished an entire tin already. Thankfully I have two more! A great balanced spice,and a wonderful caramel flavor. A squirt of honey and a splash of cream makes it dessert. One of my...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “I got this tea in a trade with *QueenOfTarts*! My infusers were all in need of a wash, so I went the bagged route this morning. I betrayed proper chai preparation and went without milk. (Because...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 457 tasting notes
  • “I have to admit that I don't normally like chai tea. Yes, I do have the occasional chai tea latte from Starbucks.. but as far as bagged or loose chai tea at home.. no! I'm not sure what prompted me...” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 464 tasting notes

From Zhena's Gypsy Tea

Lush on the palate, this rewarding masterful blend combines succulent spices of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg with caramelized brown sugar, warming crystallized Indian Ginger and Fair Trade organic South African Rooibos for a delectable blend of exotic flavor & anti-oxidant rich sips. Creamy, whole bean Bourbon Vanilla adds the flavor richness of luxuriant cream, without the guilt. You are whisked away to a Parisian café, beret not included.

About Zhena's Gypsy Tea View company

One of the ladies at work brought this tea in, and I am trying a bag, with our new..drumroll variable temp kettle in the office! It’s the conversation starter of the week haha, it’s so noisy with it’s beeping, the CuisineArt glass one, but it’s soo nice. I can bring green tea to work! :D

Yesterday I had a huge migraine so I just used it to make peppermint tea, and today my migraine continues, but I had to try this tea. It smells so gingery in the dry bag. I steeped for 4 mins, and the flavor isn’t bad, it reminds me of Gingerbread by DavidsTea with maybe a smidge more spice. And there is a bit more of a caramel sweetness, which is nice. The rooibos is not bad for a bagged one. For the easy factor, this is a good tea, I might look into picking some up when I have room in my cupboard again just because sometimes I’m too lazy for a steeper. But for now I will drink this down and then probably pound more mint tea. Darn you migraine. Go away.

Anna

Variable temp kettle joy! What a way to start the new year. Is it even possible yours beeps more than my Bosch? I feel mine could wake the dead. Which, not too far from the catacombs, is not a good thing.

MissLena

Haha well it does 2 long loud beeps that you can hear throughout the office when the temperature is ready, and 5 little beeps for when the timer is done..it’s louder than the phones and annoying everyone haha :D I don’t mind it as I love the kettle and am used to my quietly beeping Breville, but others are not as fond..lol. It was a nice surprise though!

caile

ooh, that is really nice to have in the office! Lucky! I’m sure everyone will get used to the beeping.

MissLena

Yes it’s such a treat compared to the old kettle..took so long to heat, 1 temperature, full of scale, ick..this one will get much love, and it’s clear so we can see how dirty it gets! I hope everyone gets used to it, for now it’s a bit funny though haha

Cavocorax

I’m really happy mine doesn’t beep at all! I was concerend that it would be loud and the kettle is so close to where my toddler sleeps that I’d feel terrible if it woke her up. I can’t believe I lucked out on a silent one.

New office kettle though! That’s awesome!

Anna

Which one do you have, Cavocorax?

Someone (Dinosara?) got me interested in this one, and I think it’s the one I’ll ultimately buy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40

My Very Loud Bosch one was more a temporary solution than anything else, although I must say I’m delighted with it so far.

MissLena

No beeps! Sweet deal, although I don’t mind my quiet breville. I’ve seen that lovely gooseneck around on here too, looks so nice! I got my mom the kitchen aid var temp for Christmas, it’s a bit loud, but the design is nice. Oh and my bf got his mom the same and the beeping is much more shrill lol, I think it might really be individual to the kettle, at least for that model.

Anna

Ugh, yes, I’ve seen those around – there’s even one in lush Candy Apple Red, same as my stand mixer.

Right, it might definitely be individual – KitchenAid is one of those companies that were awesome until 10-15 or so years ago, like Sorel, or Mulberry. Things would be super-hq and last a near-lifetime… and now it’s 45% branding, 45% design, 10% quality.

Cavocorax

Anna – I grabbed the Hamilton Beach Pro as one of the forum discussions made it sound really good for it’s price, but I think mine is a newer/different model: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hamilton-beach-hamilton-beach-pro-1-7l-kettle-41000-stainless-steel-41000/10261214.aspx?path=537c8ee81299072574239dbe620d6b35en02

It was under $50 when I bought it though so I thought it was totally worth it. (Best Christmas gift. :P)

Yikes. Finished an entire tin already. Thankfully I have two more!

A great balanced spice,and a wonderful caramel flavor. A squirt of honey and a splash of cream makes it dessert. One of my favorite night time treats. I still can’t get over how quickly I go through these red chai Zhena teas. I think they are the best ones she does!

I got this tea in a trade with QueenOfTarts!

My infusers were all in need of a wash, so I went the bagged route this morning. I betrayed proper chai preparation and went without milk. (Because I didn’t have any, not because I didn’t want to!) Upon inspection, realized to my dismay that this was a rooibos chai. Rooibos and I aren’t friends, but I’ll tolerate it if I like the flavor it’s blended with enough.

I had been hoping for caffeine, but the fact that this was warm and tasty made up for it. The rooibos was almost completely muted by the strong, spicy cinnamon and chai spices. The caramel is good, but not exactly the kind I’m after. It’s a little sharp instead of creamy. But that might be different had I used milk. In summary, this is a tasty chai, and though I wish it wasn’t rooibos, I still like it and will still experiment with it.

I have to admit that I don’t normally like chai tea. Yes, I do have the occasional chai tea latte from Starbucks.. but as far as bagged or loose chai tea at home.. no! I’m not sure what prompted me to buy this tea. I thought that I was done with Zhena’s Gypsy Tea as I hadn’t been impressed with really any of the ones I’d had.
The idea of cloves, black pepper, licorice root, cardamom and ginger root doesn’t appeal to me. BUT this tin says that this tea has a caramel/vanilla flavor… plus, it has a red tea base.. so I thought that it would be worth a try.
This tea has a relatively calm combination of spices which I prefer over BOLD chai. It’s a little bit sweet and a little bit spicy. I find this tea to be more enjoyable when it’s hot. When it cools, I can taste the ginger and licorice a bit more.. and I’d rather have the other flavors instead. There is nothing distinctly like caramel, but I suppose that it smooths out the chai spices. I think that this tea is ideal for the start of fall. It’s warming & comforting.. just perfect for the changing leaves and cooler weather.

MaddHatter

I’m quickly learning that unless it is a sugary-syrupy latte from starbucks I can’t seem to steep chai correctly unless it is a red based or purely herbal tea. This one sounds good until you mentioned that the licorice has a slightly more prominent. I have a hard time with fennel, anise, and licorice flavors in tea.

QueenOfTarts

I also have a difficult time with the flavors you’ve mentioned. I think the licorice is pretty mellow until it cools. In this blend, it’s definitely not so bad for someone who dislikes it.

I’m a big chai fan and a big rooibos fan, so I had pretty high hopes for this tea. I took a sip of it plain just to see and it had a lovely taste on its own, but I always take chai with a bit of milk, so I threw in a splash of toffee almond creamer (because I thought it would compliment the caramel well – and it did!), and it came out tasting wonderful. Since it is a rooibos chai, it isn’t as spicy as normal black tea chais, but it’s still great, especially for winding down in the evenings. I only wish it came loose leaf, but I suppose you just can’t have everything.

I saw this tea at my local Sunflower Market. Since the weather has decided it’s officially winter now I figured it was a perfect day for tea. I really can’t emphasize how much I adore caramel. So I couldn’t resist the temptation of it in my tea.
The reason why this is getting such a low rating from me is because it was just too spicy. I only steeped this for 2 1/2 min and it just came out like a punch in the face. There was no caramel flavor to speak of. I also decided to wait a bit to taste it again and let it cool off. Not much changed. I think I will try this again tomorrow with milk and sugar (or honey) to see if I can tame this bad boy down a bit.

This is a nice chai with a mild caramel flavor. I also like that it is a rooibus, so I can drink it late in the afternoon or evening. I did add sugar and coconut milk to make it more traditional. I like the smooth taste, very nice to relax with a big cup.

Had a cup of this last night: 2 teabags for a 12 oz. cup. A pretty good brew, especially because it’s rooibos. Yes, I can taste the rooibos, however it’s faint and way in the background. This is mostly caramel with only a hint of chai spices. I wish the chai was more present, but otherwise I’ll have zero issue drinking this down – especially since it’s so rich and has zero added sweeteners.

Flavors: Caramel

Great dry smell. Really has a caramel smell but doesn’t have much caramel taste. I added a bit of honey after tasting it straight and found the caramel flavor comes out a bit more. I also added some almond milk to it (I don’t like regular milk anymore because it gives me a stomach ache). The ‘spiciness’ of this chai is very much on the mellow side but I think they do a good job of combining the Rooibos with the other chai flavors. Most of the time Rooibos over-powers other flavors but this one is a good balance.

BTW if your ever in New Zealand find yourself a chai stand. Handmade chai is amazing!

No! Not nearly spicy enough for a chai. It’s quite sweet, and a little better when it cools off, but not enough for my tastes. I prefer the company’s Fireside Chai, which is also a rooibos, and so much more flavorful. I won’t buy this one again.