Fire Light Chai

Chai Herbal Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Ana

• “I am all out of my beloved Rishi West Cape Chai so I decided to check this out until I have depleted my other Rishi teas and want to place an order for more of them... I was not happy when I got...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2307 tasting notes
  • “I took a few sips of this one clear. It was sweet and spicy, and I could see a nice flavour developing. Then I decided to add milk. That... rather than enhancing as it does with most chais,...” Read full tasting note
    C-chan 270 tasting notes
  • “Oh spicy teas how I love you! A cuppa this tea was a great way to enjoy a crisp Fall night! The blend of spices takes me to a warm place in front of a fire on a cold night. Or maybe in front of...” Read full tasting note
    Perettifreak 19 tasting notes
  • “Tis is a pretty good chai, nice and spicy - but not a true favorite. It can get a touch bitter if it steeps too long, but being a rooibos tea it doesn't get too terribly bitter. Does not require...” Read full tasting note
    ana 18 tasting notes

From Zhena's Gypsy Tea

Naturally caffeine-free Rooibos from the Cedarberg Mountains of South Africa which recent studies found to be high in antioxidants is married with the stimulating spice of ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and clove. The luscious zest of Valencia orange adds a tart-sweet note of fruit to this savory health inducing cup. Wonderful with a splash of milk.

Ingredients: All organic, fair trade certified South African Rooibos, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom pods, whole cloves, Valencia orange peels, nutmeg, & black pepper.

About Zhena's Gypsy Tea View company

I am all out of my beloved Rishi West Cape Chai so I decided to check this out until I have depleted my other Rishi teas and want to place an order for more of them…

I was not happy when I got home and realized this was for the teabag version of this tea (my mistake). I steeped it for 4 minutes with boiling water and added a bit of soymilk in the end. I am not crazy about this. For a bagged non-caffeinated chai I would prefer Yogi tea Indian Spice or even Bengal Spice from Celestial Seasonings.

I’m not really a fan of roobois but since I loved the West Cape Chai, I thought I might appreciate this too. For me the flavor balance seems off. It’s all clove, roobois and orange, I’d prefer a higher concentration of cinnamon and cardamom. It also seems to be drying my mouth right up. I will probably finish it reluctantly. Oh well.

I took a few sips of this one clear. It was sweet and spicy, and I could see a nice flavour developing. Then I decided to add milk. That… rather than enhancing as it does with most chais, actually ending up muddling the taste. Adding sugar helped to bring it back, but this one, I’m afraid, is entirely best clear.

Just goes to show that you can’t always do all teas the same way. Cheers for experimentation at least?

Lilysmom

Exactly! – you never know what might work unless you try!

C-chan

You really can’t. And it wasn’t horrible with, either. Just… better without, for another time. :)

Lilysmom

I seem to always be adding things to my tea…..now you have me craving chai!!

Oh spicy teas how I love you! A cuppa this tea was a great way to enjoy a crisp Fall night! The blend of spices takes me to a warm place in front of a fire on a cold night. Or maybe in front of an awesome bonfire hanging out with friends. I love the notes of clove!

Tis is a pretty good chai, nice and spicy – but not a true favorite. It can get a touch bitter if it steeps too long, but being a rooibos tea it doesn’t get too terribly bitter. Does not require sweetener, but it can add a bit and bring out the flavor very well – honey is recommended if you want it sweet. Recommended for fans of flavorful, spicy chai tea.